Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

You sure do deserve some credit for introducing this amazing community and technology to me!

I'm assuming the C3758D4I motherboard hasn't released yet since a lot of information on it shows Nov this past year and I can't find it anywhere. Looks like I have a decent amount of research to do this weekend in preparation to building this thing haha. Thanks again man.

Yes, I don't think the C3758D4I has been released yet.

Following this thread convinced me to set up a work / game station at home, so, I've decided to build a config very similar to pastrychef's. Before I pull the trigger on the buy order I have a couple of questions, maybe someone can help me out...

I'm looking to set up a dual boot config, so I'm getting 2 x m.2 drives. Considering cables and all, is it possible to install these two drives together with an Asus ROG Strix 1080TI on an Asus Z370-g? It's a slightly larger card when compared to a regular 1080, by half a slot.

Also because of the dual boot config, will the replaced WiFi card (Broadcom) work in Windows or do I have to keep both cards in order to get WiFi in Windows? I might have to switch to using a PCIe adapter instead of the m.2 one then...

It's been 10 years since I've left the master race, I'm excited to return to it as I am rusty!

@pastrychef Thank you for this awesome guide and the time put into it!

I'm looking to set up a dual boot config, so I'm getting 2 x m.2 drives. Considering cables and all, is it possible to install these two drives together with an Asus ROG Strix 1080TI on an Asus Z370-g? It's a slightly larger card when compared to a regular 1080, by half a slot.

You just have to make sure that the case you choose has enough room to accommodate the graphics card. It being wider than standard "double wide" graphics cards will only be a problem if you need to use the second PCI-e x8 slot. It will be blocked by this graphics card.

Also because of the dual boot config, will the replaced WiFi card (Broadcom) work in Windows or do I have to keep both cards in order to get WiFi in Windows? I might have to switch to using a PCIe adapter instead of the m.2 one then...

The Broadcom Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card can work in Windows once the drivers are installed. I got my copy of the drivers from the Boot Camp Support Software. Google around on how to extract specific drivers from the Boot Camp Support Software and you should be fine using the Broadcom Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card in Windows.

There's absolutely no need to use the included Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card. My Bluetooth mouse even works in BIOS.

Thank you for the reply!

I'm going with a Fractal Design Define Mini C case and it should fit the Strix 11G just fine. I say it should because I didn't really find someone else with a similar config to know for sure, so I'm stuck with using the dimensions as guides.

I knew about the second PCIe slot being dead because of the GPU size, but seeing as I won't even be using the one slot that's left, I don't worry too much about that.

Great news about the Broadcom card!

BTW, is there any chance my Apple external trackpad will work in OSx?

BTW, is there any chance my Apple external trackpad will work in OSx?

The Apple accessories (keyboards, mice, trackpads) work fine. I've personally tested both the first and second generation of Magic Trackpads.

Right, but if I'm away from home and I so happened to forget to add a particular file to iCloud, I'm out of luck.

Not to beat a dead horse, but the objections the iCloud aren't right.

You get 5GB of space free. 50GB is $1/month, $12/year.
It works in Win and Mac.
It also works via iCloud.com (so if you're away from home and forgot to add a file to iCloud, access it all on iCloud.com).
It makes photo sync with the iPhone particularly easy.

Another alternative might be dropbox, or software for your NAS (and port forwarding, router setup, etc.)

But iCloud is an easy alternative, particularly if you are Mac-facing.

I updated to macOS High Sierra 10.13.2 Supplemental Update via App Store without any problems. Upon completion, the Nvidia web drivers preference pane will inform you that an update is available. Just follow on screen directions to update.
Screen Shot 2018-01-09 at 9.41.44 PM.png

When you reboot for the first time after the update running, do you need to pick a different boot disk (like an update/installer boot disk)? In other words, is anything different required in Clover?

Back