Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

What kind of USB drive? What should I do then?

Any industry standard USB flash drive.

Initialize it as HFS+/GUID.
Mount the EFI partition.
Copy the OpenCore 0.7.4 EFI from post #1 to the EFI partition.
Boot from the USB flash drive.
Finish your Monterey installation.

Any industry standard USB flash drive.

Initialize it as HFS+/GUID.
Mount the EFI partition.
Copy the OpenCore 0.7.4 EFI from post #1 to the EFI partition.
Boot from the USB flash drive.
Finish your Monterey installation.
Are you talking about doing a completely fresh OSX install with Monterey? I wouldn't want to do that, I have too much things set up for work to go with clean installation, I would much rather fix existing one, even if it means I'll have to stay on Big Sur for the time being.

Are you talking about doing a completely fresh OSX install with Monterey? I wouldn't want to do that, I have too much things set up for work to go with clean installation, I would much rather fix existing one, even if it means I'll have to stay on Big Sur for the time being.

There's no need to do a fresh install. Just install Monterey on top of your current installation.

There's no need to do a fresh install. Just install Monterey on top of your current installation.
I've managed to recover the installed OS by copy of your OC 0.7.4 and replacing my serials, etc., in the config.plist. After that the Monterey installer behaves the very same way: about 20 minutes of installation within the OS, then a reboot, enters BIOS with 'failure' mode, reboot, picking up the temp Monterey install disk, progress bar stuck around 20%.

I've managed to recover the installed OS by copy of your OC 0.7.4 and replacing my serials, etc. in the config.plist. After that the Monterey installer behaves the very same way: about 20 minutes of installation within the OS, then a reboot, enters BIOS with 'failure' mode, reboot, picking up the temp Monterey install disk, progress bar stuck around 20%.

Are you booting off of my EFI? Please post photo of verbose screen where it gets stuck.

Hmm... Weird... Try clearing NVRAM. Also, try replacing the following files with the ones freshly downloaded from Acidanthera.

/EFI/OC/opencore.efi
/EFI/OC/Drivers/OpenCanopy.efi
/EFI/OC/Drivers/OpenRuntime.efi

I don't know why you are getting those Safari errors... I have never seen that. Is your system drive full?
I did replace the files and cleared NVRAM several times, and still get the message from OCvalidate that I'm not running 0.7.4. Is this a problem?

Also, I have 500 gig free on my drive, so that's not the problem. BUT...after I turned off Little Snitch, all the Safari issues went away. (Firefox did not have these issues). This was indeed weird.

So other than the fact that OCvalidate doesn't like my 0.7.4, I'm pretty ok, except that I can not get Bluetooth to work. I believe that I saw somewhere that this is an issue at the moment. WIFI works fine, however.
Thanks.

I did replace the files and cleared NVRAM several times, and still get the message from OCvalidate that I'm not running 0.7.4. Is this a problem?

Also, I have 500 gig free on my drive, so that's not the problem. BUT...after I turned off Little Snitch, all the Safari issues went away. (Firefox did not have these issues). This was indeed weird.

So other than the fact that OCvalidate doesn't like my 0.7.4, I'm pretty ok, except that I can not get Bluetooth to work. I believe that I saw somewhere that this is an issue at the moment. WIFI works fine, however.
Thanks.

I don't know much about OCValidate. I've only used it once.

I don't use Little Snitch... I find it too much of a PITA. I use the tools from objective-see.com

Hi, I am still running Catalina on this golden built (ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-G Gaming Wi-Fi AC) - with the Colver that was available back in September 2020 - when i installed Catalina from scratch.

All is still running well, all Catalina updates are also imstalled. Both Big-Sur and Monterey has considerably larger install .app (as I understand due to the dual CPU relevance to support both intel and m1).

Not sure if performance-wise it is suggested to upgrade from Catlania (and I don't see any major features that would worth to move from Catalina) >>> if you have any specific reasons to upgrade to Monterey (from Catalina) - please share it here!

As I understand - the best way (would be) to make a clean Monterey install is to:
  • download Monterey from the app store, create a bootable usb (createinstallermedia in terminal),
  • use the latest EFI mounter, and mount the EFI partition of the USB pendrive,
  • take the latest OpenCore (NOT Clover!) EFI content from this post (thanks to PastryChef) and update the HW specific numbers (as described in the readme) - and then copy the updated config on the `EFI partition of the pendrive,
  • boot/install Monterey from the USB pendrive and at the end of the process copy the EFI content from the pendrive to the EFI partition of the system...
Many thanks!
I just like to stay up to date with the latest versions of macOS and know that the latest versions of software will work. Also, IMO, keeping everything up to date makes updates easier.

Yes, that's would be the best way to do a new clean install.
Many thanks Pastry for the advise - being able to install the latest and greatest apps is definately a plus towards having the latest possible OS.

I decided to create a bootable usb pendrive with the OC.efi (post #1) and Monterey (from app store). I tried to use OCconfigurator to add the necessary serial numbers and mac address. I took these from the existing hackintosh (opened my current config.plist with CloverConfigurator - as I have Clover with Catalina).

The pendrive I created did not work - could not boot - most likely beacuse I've added more missing data than I should have.

Please confirm that it is OK to "fill" only the data highlighted on the screenshot bellow (so no problem to have it blank for most of the fields on the DataHub-Generic tab page ... and for ALL the fields on the SMBIOS tab page.

Also - please help to identify the MAC address I should specify from the current hackintosh (is this the MAC address of the "motherborad"?

Many thanks!

Attachments

• OCconfigurator.png
    OCconfigurator.png
    395.4 KB · Views: 57
Many thanks Pastry for the advise - being able to install the latest and greatest apps is definately a plus towards having the latest possible OS.

I decided to create a bootable usb pendrive with the OC.efi (post #1) and Monterey (from app store). I tried to use OCconfigurator to add the necessary serial numbers and mac address. I took these from the existing hackintosh (opened my current config.plist with CloverConfigurator - as I have Clover with Catalina).

The pendrive I created did not work - could not boot - most likely beacuse I've added more missing data than I should have.

Please confirm that it is OK to "fill" only the data highlighted on the screenshot bellow (so no problem to have it blank for most of the fields on the DataHub-Generic tab page ... and for ALL the fields on the SMBIOS tab page.

Also - please help to identify the MAC address I should specify from the current hackintosh (is this the MAC address of the "motherborad"?

Many thanks!

Yes, those are the only fields that need to be filled in.

To get your MAC address, go to System Preferences > Network > Ethernet > Advanced > Hardware. The first line will show your MAC.

Back