Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Do we need RadeonBoost and the PS2 stuff in the EFI? Is there any use for it, assuming no use of the PS2 port, not a laptop, etc. ? When i read the readmes around the voodoops2 kext it sounds like it's oriented at laptops and Synaptics contoller - can you comment on this?

I use a PS/2 keyboard, so I have the kext there. If you don't use any PS/2 devices, feel free to delete it. That being said, I've had the PS/2 kexts in my EFI folders for a very long time and they've never caused my any problems.

RadeonBoost doesn't work with newer versions of macOS.

Last edited:
@pastrychef how was the upgrade from 8700k -> 9900k. Does it just work?
Do you know what's the case from 8400 -> 9900k.

I'm running the 8400 on my Z370n, and have a chance to get the 9900k for cheap. My current setup runs very smooth now and I don't want to have to change much.

@pastrychef how was the upgrade from 8700k -> 9900k. Does it just work?
Do you know what's the case from 8400 -> 9900k.

I'm running the 8400 on my Z370n, and have a chance to get the 9900k for cheap. My current setup runs very smooth now and I don't want to have to change much.

As long as you've updated your BIOS to a version that supports Coffee Lake Refresh, it's just a drop in replacement. Nothing needs to be done to your EFI.

I've gone from 8400F to 9900K and the difference is immediately noticeable. Huge upgrade.

I see that in NVRAM / ....30102 / Add that rtc-blacklist is blank.

I think this is used (https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Post-Install/misc/rtc.html) for when one has errors at bootup about POSTing in safe mode.

I think there are some ways to add 00-FF to blank everything, and also some ways to, half by half, minimize the amount of NVRAM blocks to just block writes to the area that causes the POST errors.

Is rtf-blacklist deliberately blank / with no value to block? Should something be in there? With BIOS 3004, do you get any POST errors ever?

I almost always do when restarting, and I went into BIOS and disabled the F1 on error prompt, which "fixed" it, but if there's a cleaner, better way...

Is rtf-blacklist deliberately blank / with no value to block?
Yes.

Should something be in there?
No.

With BIOS 3004, do you get any POST errors ever?
I've seen that screen before but I don't remember with which version of BIOS. It's been a long time since I've seen that. It was in the early days of OpenCore (I think version 0.6.x) since I've seen that.

Clover EFI updated to r5141.

All kexts updated to latest release versions.

Clover EFI updated to r5141.

All kexts updated to latest release versions.
Thank you so much @pastrychef ! You rock!

What version of mac os is that for? Would it work with Big Sur?

I'm now on Catalina but just order the rx 6800XT GPU which needs Big Sur from research. Hoping it can work sticking to my Clover build. I read Big Sur was mainly possible with Open core but not Clover but hope that's wrong.

Thanks again

Thank you so much @pastrychef ! You rock!

What version of mac os is that for? Would it work with Big Sur?

I'm now on Catalina but just order the rx 6800XT GPU which needs Big Sur from research. Hoping it can work sticking to my Clover build. I read Big Sur was mainly possible with Open core but not Clover but hope that's wrong.

Thanks again

It should be fine for both Catalina and Big Sur.

I don't see why the RX 6800XT would not work with Clover... Just remember to add the "agdpmod=pikera" boot argument. Also, you may need to enable CSM with the RX 6800XT.

It should be fine for both Catalina and Big Sur.

I don't see why the RX 6800XT would not work with Clover... Just remember to add the "agdpmod=pikera" boot argument. Also, you may need to enable CSM with the RX 6800XT.
Oh snappp thanks so helpful! Thank

Go CSM enabled i think otherwise my system bricked last time I turned it off. Unless its the opposite lol

Thanks for the agdpmod=pikera tip!

Hello @pastrychef I'm using your OC-0.7.4 EFI as a base for my own configuration (as I've done in the past... So thank you!) After filling in S/N, ROM, UUID, etc information and rebooting (via USB stick), my Mac's boot volume is not listed in OpenCore's picker. FWIW, I'm using Mojave and even tried setting SecureBootModel = Disable, but to no avail. Any suggestions?

Back