Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

14K to 18K passmark (i7-8700k to i9-9900k) is a nice bump, but not earth shattering. Individual cores don't seem much faster (about 6% - tiny), just the total # of cores jumps from 6 to 8. While 'nice' it's not earth shattering. For heavily multithreaded apps it's great, but otherwise, I doubt most would notice. If you render all day, do it, otherwise, meh.

I can't get excited about the jump to i9-11900k either, mostly due to pricing, but at least the per-core speed jumps from 2780 to 3500 - a 25% or so jump. Combine that with the jump from 6 to 8 cores and the overall speed almost doubles. But the price.... the need for (typically) new memory, (always) new motherboard, etc... - it adds up fast.

The issue I have with it is cost (I'm not constrained by much if anything right now, except graphics mostly; I could always use faster graphics), and also the knowledge that (for MacOS at least) I'd be throwing (_pouring_) money into a dead platform that won't see the latest MacOS neat features. (Intel doesn't get all the features the ARM side gets; it's very minor right now, but I doubt that will last long.)

I'm holding out until I understand what's going to happen with Apple's position on external graphics cards (is this 580 & 5700 I have of any value in the future? Should I sell my graphics cards while the market is still red-hot?), the M1X and M2 performance, etc. I don't want a thin and light laptop - I want a large desktop machine - and now the only question is how much I have to pay to get it, and what the graphics / games situation will look like once I get it.

14K to 18K passmark (i7-8700k to i9-9900k) is a nice bump, but not earth shattering. Individual cores don't seem much faster (about 6% - tiny), just the total # of cores jumps from 6 to 8. While 'nice' it's not earth shattering. For heavily multithreaded apps it's great, but otherwise, I doubt most would notice. If you render all day, do it, otherwise, meh.

I can't get excited about the jump to i9-11900k either, mostly due to pricing, but at least the per-core speed jumps from 2780 to 3500 - a 25% or so jump. Combine that with the jump from 6 to 8 cores and the overall speed almost doubles. But the price.... the need for (typically) new memory, (always) new motherboard, etc... - it adds up fast.

The issue I have with it is cost (I'm not constrained by much if anything right now, except graphics mostly; I could always use faster graphics), and also the knowledge that (for MacOS at least) I'd be throwing (_pouring_) money into a dead platform that won't see the latest MacOS neat features. (Intel doesn't get all the features the ARM side gets; it's very minor right now, but I doubt that will last long.)

I'm holding out until I understand what's going to happen with Apple's position on external graphics cards (is this 580 & 5700 I have of any value in the future? Should I sell my graphics cards while the market is still red-hot?), the M1X and M2 performance, etc. I don't want a thin and light laptop - I want a large desktop machine - and now the only question is how much I have to pay to get it, and what the graphics / games situation will look like once I get it.

8700K to 9900K is a 33.33% increase in the number of cores, so, yeah, if you do a lot of multi threaded work, it's a pretty significant improvement.

Another thing that I'm not a fan of is the TDP increase in the 10th and 11th gen Intel CPUs. Water cooling is almost a necessity with those things...

I really doubt that there will be drivers for GPU support with Apple Silicon Macs. I sold my Radeon VII when the market was near all time highs and netted about $1800 for it. Still saving that for a Mac with the next gen Apple Silicon.

Just wanted to say thank you (again) as I noticed my second setup (Z370-ITX, i7-8700)'s USB port mappings didn't work anymore; they apparently stopped working sometime in the 11.0->11.4 upgrade process, perhaps? I had one USB3 port, and no others, and my iPad would only charge at 500 rather than 2100.

Half an hour later and a few sessions with Hackintool 3.62, and it's all set - all SS ports discovered, all ports labelled correctly, all ports identified (2, 3, C, Internal) correctly, and all is well.

I couldn't have done it without the wonderful guides on here.

I took the time to flip to .71 of OC, and I used that USB stick (I always test new OC using a new USB stick) to test the USBMap process. Great stuff!

OMG. How? Where?

I sold it a few months ago (around March?) when video card prices were at their most insane levels on eBay. Even after all the fees and shipping, I managed net about $1800. Prices on video cards have dropped a lot since then but are still very high. If you want to sell, I suggest trying ASAP.

Last edited:
In current config.plist, the Root/ACPI/Add/Item 0 specs "SSDT-PLUG.aml" and the ITEM 1 specs "SSDT-EC.aml".

In current .71 download, EFI/EFI/OC/ACPI shows filenames of "SSDT-EC" and "SSDT-PLUG.AML".

Is this (the fact that file SSDT-EC doesn't have an .AML ending) an issue ?

In current config.plist, the Root/ACPI/Add/Item 0 specs "SSDT-PLUG.aml" and the ITEM 1 specs "SSDT-EC.aml".

In current .71 download, EFI/EFI/OC/ACPI shows filenames of "SSDT-EC" and "SSDT-PLUG.AML".

Is this (the fact that file SSDT-EC doesn't have an .AML ending) an issue ?

The extension is just hidden... If you "Get Info" on SSDT-EC, you will see:

Screen Shot 2021-07-18 at 11.07.02 AM.png

Schermata 2021-07-21 alle 22.17.52.png
macOS 11.5 Update via System Preferences, took ~18 minutes.
OpenCore 0.7.1

Same - 11.5, .71 OC, works fine. One reboot, works fine.

Boot picklist by default had "Macintosh HD" (IIRC) selected, so I allowed that to boot, rather than my SSD's name of "MacOS".

Back