Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

It happens I would say once each 1-2 weeks or so. I just wasn't using it for quite some time now.
I mostly sleep the system and turn off when I am away for longer.

I haven't tried VNC/screen sharing. Only Apple Remote Desktop from my laptop. It "connected" but did not show a screen actually. System was ping'able. ssh got in, used it for shutdown and reboot.

It happens I would say once each 1-2 weeks or so. I just wasn't using it for quite some time now.
I mostly sleep the system and turn off when I am away for longer.

I haven't tried VNC/screen sharing. Only Apple Remote Desktop from my laptop. It "connected" but did not show a screen actually. System was ping'able. ssh got in, used it for shutdown and reboot.

Hmm... Sounds like Finder is crashing... Have you tried a clean install of macOS?

Hmm.. Finder? Actually I saw yesterday (prior the lockup) in the Activity Monitor, Finder using a lot of CPU like 75% without any obvious reasons, and restarted it... Hours later the system locked up. I did not associate it with Finder. Checked filesystems, everything seems right.

This is my initial fresh install of Mojave. Besides the regular updates, no other upgrade has been performed.

Hmm.. Finder? Actually I saw yesterday (prior the lockup) in the Activity Monitor, Finder using a lot of CPU like 75% without any obvious reasons, and restarted it... Hours later the system locked up. I did not associate it with Finder. Checked filesystems, everything seems right.

This is my initial fresh install of Mojave. Besides the regular updates, no other upgrade has been performed.

75% CPU usage by Finder is abnormal. Do you have any other apps, utilities, etc installed? Did you see if the system was using an abnormally high amount of RAM?

Maybe try doing all the macOS updates and see if the updates fixed a bug.

A huge lot of open Safari windows with a lot of tabs in them, vmware running one VM, Tidal, Discord, ... nothing special actually. RAM usage is like 20-22 gigs out of 64GB installed (Corsair LPX). At that time I noticed Finder being a little laggy which made me open up the Activity Monitor and check what's going on.

I have all Mojave updates installed.

A huge lot of open Safari windows with a lot of tabs in them, vmware running one VM, Tidal, Discord, ... nothing special actually. RAM usage is like 20-22 gigs out of 64GB installed (Corsair LPX). At that time I noticed Finder being a little laggy which made me open up the Activity Monitor and check what's going on.

I have all Mojave updates installed.

I remember there being a version of VMware Fusion that was triggering some Finder bug... But I can't remember which version... Make sure Fusion is fully updated.

Thanks. Fusion is in the latest version.
You believe that lockup might be happening due to a Finder bug/error?

Thanks. Fusion is in the latest version.
You believe that lockup might be happening due to a Finder bug/error?

That's my guess. If you are able to ssh to it, the system is obviously still running... Something is causing Finder to crash/freeze and it's not recovering. I don't think I've ever seen Finder use 75% of CPU in my life.

Edit:
What do you have in the following folders:
/Library/Extensions/
/Library/LaunchAgents/
/Library/LaunchDaemons/

Last edited:
Yes, the system is running. I had a zoom video call and it continued to run until the end (without controls). Is Finder responsible for locked up keyboard input and mouse clicks? Mouse cursor continues to move but no clicks are possible..

Started the Console.app some times ago.. and now it is using 55% cpu...
Logging a lot but don't see anything unusual.

Back