Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Indeed no worries, Thanks... Just removed the card and enabled iGPU and back again. Do you have any idea if it can be a small issue with my RX6900XT or is it really defective? I was playing today Battlefield 3 which is almost no load for the card (approx 30% on ultra settings) and suddenly my PC crashed. I rebooted and I could enter Windows again but as soon I enter the game again both screens went black and also my system crashes in the background. First I thought It could be that the AMD adrenaline settings were wrong so I defaulted them (not that I made any stock changes) but again when I enter 3D also in other games screen went black. After that I tried macOS. It looked on first glance to be ok but when I scroll in Safari somewhat quick also in macOS the card goes to black. After that I swapped out my old power supply for a new one 850W no change. Defaulted BIOS of motherboard for Windows still same issue. What I noticed when I moved from Vega64 to this RX6900XT was a quite loud coil whine. Any tips or things I might try before sending it back for warranty ... (which I hate ...lol)?

I can't think of anything that can cause the crashing other than defective video card... Especially when everything works correctly with your Vega 64.

I can try it again...
I had it with iGPU disabled, and the audio output of my FireWire audio interface broke evey time as soon as I started Logic Pro X in different versions on Monterey and never came back with this setting.

Will report back!
Report update!

Today tried again with iGPU disabled, FireWire audio didn't work in Logic with current BIOS, which was 3004.

Updated BIOW to latest version, and I can confirm that FireWire audio in Logic pro now works with both settings now, iGPU enabled and disable.

Indeed no worries, Thanks... Just removed the card and enabled iGPU and back again. Do you have any idea if it can be a small issue with my RX6900XT or is it really defective? I was playing today Battlefield 3 which is almost no load for the card (approx 30% on ultra settings) and suddenly my PC crashed. I rebooted and I could enter Windows again but as soon I enter the game again both screens went black and also my system crashes in the background. First I thought It could be that the AMD adrenaline settings were wrong so I defaulted them (not that I made any stock changes) but again when I enter 3D also in other games screen went black. After that I tried macOS. It looked on first glance to be ok but when I scroll in Safari somewhat quick also in macOS the card goes to black. After that I swapped out my old power supply for a new one 850W no change. Defaulted BIOS of motherboard for Windows still same issue. What I noticed when I moved from Vega64 to this RX6900XT was a quite loud coil whine. Any tips or things I might try before sending it back for warranty ... (which I hate ...lol)?

in Windows, download WhoCrashed (home), run it, and tell us what it says. It will give a basic idea of why the system BSOD'd.

Otherwise, confirm your BIOS is vLatest from #MBMaker.

Report update!

Today tried again with iGPU disabled, FireWire audio didn't work in Logic with current BIOS, which was 3004.

Updated BIOW to latest version, and I can confirm that FireWire audio in Logic pro now works with both settings now, iGPU enabled and disable.
I did a SD clone to a new NVMe drive, and I have the same issue again on both drives, my test drive and the new NVMe, FireWire audio only works with iGPU enabled.

I did a SD clone to a new NVMe drive, and I have the same issue again on both drives, my test drive and the new NVMe, FireWire audio only works with iGPU enabled.

Weird...

Look in your config.plist and make sure that there's nothing in the config.plist > DeviceProperties section.

Weird...

Look in your config.plist and make sure that there's nothing in the config.plist > DeviceProperties section.
Ok! You mean delete all the entries here?
Sorry for me being a noob and thx for helping!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-29 at 17.35.53.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-29 at 17.35.53.png
    763.9 KB · Views: 16
Ok! You mean delete all the entries here?
Sorry for me being a noob and thx for helping!

Yes. Make a backup of your current config.plist. Then try deleting all of those entries and see if it makes any difference.

Weird...

Didn't solve it. Did NVRAM reset twice before booting into it!
What's strange, too, is that the new NVMe disk is called Monterey HD, but in OC Boot Menu it shows as MojaveHD, the name of my test drive I cloned from... So I have MojaveHD twice in OC Boot Menu.

I am sure a clean Install will resolve the issue again… i don't know what makes it break; is it a permission thing?

Didn't solve it. Did nvram reset twice before booting into it!
What's strange too, is that the new nvme disk is called Monterey HD, but in OC Boot Menu it shows as MojaveHD, the name of my test drive I cloned from... So I have MojaveHD twice in OC Boot Menu.

I am sure a clean Install will resolve the issue again… i don't know what makes it break; is it a permission thing?

I don't know. I haven't done cloning in quite some time. Instead, I do clean installs and use Migration Assistant nowadays.

I don't know. I haven't done cloning in quite some time. Instead, I do clean installs and use Migration Assistant nowadays.
Ok! Maybe I'll try this route. It's really such a random behavior. Disabled CSM again.

FW audio came back :D RANDOM!

Will try cold boot a last time and see if it stays and Report back!

Back