Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

I somehow got my Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 FireWire interface working on Monterey 12.5 today with very strange behavior!
Problem was: audio interface was recognized by macOS but audio output did not work...
audio output worked after the first startup with browser and Spotify. But, as soon as I started logic pro, audio output stopped working and was gone forever! All inputs including midi working.
Interface completely recognized by its software.

Today:
I did a clean install of Monterey macOS 12.5;
Reset the BIOS settings to optimal settings;
Set the BIOS according to post #1;
Set primary GPU to PCI-e; and
Enabled iGPU.
This resulted is FW interface is working again normally, with output. But all USB ports are broken; only pxsx controller working, no BT, etc.

After that, I went into BIOS again, set primary gpu to auto and iGPU to disabled.
-> same issue with the interface as before.

Again into BIOS.
Set primary GPU to PCI-e;
Set iGPU to enabled again; and
All is working normal now. USB, BT, fw interface.

Really strange behavior! But I am happy I solved it!

How is the FW audio output problem connected to iGPU?
I don't know.

Really strange behaviour, but I am happy I solved it!

How is the fw audio output problem connected to iGPU?
I don't know.

What if you disable IGPU and use iMacPro1,1 system definition?

What if you disable IGPU and use iMacPro1,1 system definition?
Will try it this weekend when I'm in the Studio again and report back.

Edit: I am pretty sure that I have set system definition to iMac Pro 1,1 -> will take a look on Saturday. Didn't change your latest OC EFI, only filled the UUID, etc.

Last edited:
Will try it this weekend when I'm in the Studio again and report back.

Edit: I am pretty sure that I have set system definition to iMac Pro 1,1 -> will take a look on Saturday. Didn't change your latest OC EFI, only filled the UUID, etc.
Was in the Studio today. System definition is iMacPro1,1, with primary GPU set to PCI-e and iGPU enabled, CSM is disabled. FireWire audio output in Logic Pro X works when configured like that.

Was in the Studio today. System definition is iMacPro1,1, with primary GPU set to PCI-e and iGPU enabled, CSM is disabled. FireWire audio output in Logic Pro X works when configured like that.

It should also work with IGPU disabled.

It should also work with IGPU disabled.
I can try it again...
I had it with iGPU disabled, and the audio output of my FireWire audio interface broke evey time as soon as I started Logic Pro X in different versions on Monterey and never came back with this setting.

Will report back!

can try it again...
I had it with iGPU disabled, and the audio output of my FireWire audio interface broke evey time as soon as I started Logic Pro X in different versions on Monterey and never came back with this setting.

Will report back!
Just to understand, is it a problem having iGPU enabled with system definition iMacPro1,1 or with the config.plist in any way?

Just to understand, is it a problem having igpu enabled with system definition iMacPro1,1 or with the config.plist in any way?

IGPU can work with iMacPro1,1 system definition but, on real iMacPro1,1s, there's no IGPU.

It looks I have a serious problem with my Asrock phantom gaming RX6900xt which needs to be sent in for replacement. (As soon it gets load it will turn black / under macOS but also in Windows). I need to adjust my hack very soon to use integrated graphics for a while (i9-9900k). Can someone direct me what to adjust in opencore config? I now see only lines but I need my system very soon again to prepare my AWS cloud exam… possibly i need to adjust it from windows because it barely gives any video output. (Changed Power supply but didnt help) thanks for help!

Indeed no worries, Thanks... Just removed the card and enabled iGPU and back again. Do you have any idea if it can be a small issue with my RX6900XT or is it really defective? I was playing today Battlefield 3 which is almost no load for the card (approx 30% on ultra settings) and suddenly my PC crashed. I rebooted and I could enter Windows again but as soon I enter the game again both screens went black and also my system crashes in the background. First I thought It could be that the AMD adrenaline settings were wrong so I defaulted them (not that I made any stock changes) but again when I enter 3D also in other games screen went black. After that I tried macOS. It looked on first glance to be ok but when I scroll in Safari somewhat quick also in macOS the card goes to black. After that I swapped out my old power supply for a new one 850W no change. Defaulted BIOS of motherboard for Windows still same issue. What I noticed when I moved from Vega64 to this RX6900XT was a quite loud coil whine. Any tips or things I might try before sending it back for warranty ... (which I hate ...lol)?

Back