Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Pastry may I say a big thank you for supporting this hardware configuration for about 5 years! I think it's time to update my system because my VEGA 64 is becoming somewhat slow in Windows gaming. Do you already support a newer up to date platform (AMD ryzen?) or what do you advise to look for? I can also limit my update to an upgrade of the VEGA 64 to a 6900XT which is becoming affordable right now. I already have the i9 9900K over the i7 8700k and 64GB RAM. Can you advise me something to look for?

As trs96 stated, my hackintosh journey ended with Coffee Lake.

If you want to squeeze a few more years out of your current system, upgrading the video card to a 6900 XT should improve the gaming experience in Windows A LOT. Even the 6600 XT I got was considerably faster than my old Vega while running much cooler and sucking down much less power.

If macOS is important to you, I'd look towards a new Mac. The Apple Silicon SoCs are really amazing. Although Apple gouges customers with their RAM and storage pricing, I think the current Mac lineup still offers pretty good value when configured well. Going to Raptor Lake would require purchasing new motherboard, CPU, DDR5, and maybe a new PSU and case. By the time you are done, you won't be far off from a pretty well specced Mac Studio.

If you do decide to go with a real Mac and wish to continue being able to game in Windows, you'd be well served by keeping your current system around. While nowhere near as powerful as the newest hardware, the i9-9900K is still quite capable.

Thanks supers! I will just go to a 6900XT /6800XT and a new case / cooler then. I need macOS but also Parallels VMs with X86 (vTPM) for my work environment. That's for me the deal breaker to go to Apple Silicon. I also like to game sometimes in windows. So a X86 system is still a requirement. Any risks to buy a 6900XT / 6800XT will they supported natively in Ventura?

Thanks supers! I will just go to a 6900XT /6800XT and a new case / cooler then. I need macOS but also Parallels VMs with X86 (vTPM) for my work environment. That's for me the deal breaker to go to Apple Silicon. I also like to game sometimes in windows. So a X86 system is still a requirement. Any risks to buy a 6900XT / 6800XT will they supported natively in Ventura?

Some models of 6800/6900 XTs may need device-id spoofing. There's no way to tell whether the card you get will need the spoofing or not...

Please see the following thread for more info:

Besides that, you will also need to add the "agdpmod=pikera" boot-arg.

What sorts of VMs do you run? I have Windows 11 and Ubuntu VMs set up on my Mac Studio using UTM (open source). I haven't used the Windows 11 VM since I set it up, but the Ubuntu VM runs really well on Apple Silicon.

It's even possible to install macOS in a VM with UTM.

Last edited:
What sorts of VMs do you run? I have Windows 11 and Ubuntu VMs set up on my Mac Studio using UTM (open source). I haven't used the Windows 11 VM since I set it up, but the Ubuntu VM runs really well on Apple Silicon.

Thanks,

I do need bit locker with vTPM. It's a requirement to work for my company. We need VPN connection (Pulse) and this client will check if the VM is compliant. UTM is indeed very interesting but I doubt it support vTPM as parallels does (on X86) on ARM its not support anyway I thought.

Thanks,

I do need bit locker with vTPM. It's a requirement to work for my company. We need VPN connection (Pulse) and this client will check if the VM is compliant. UTM is indeed very interesting but I doubt it support vTPM as parallels does (on X86) on ARM its not support anyway I thought.

Ah. I'm not sure about TPM on UTM. Never looked in to it...

I am using Ventura 13.0. Just purchased TP Link UB500 Bluetooth USB Dongle.
i used the following Kext for Bluetooth device. but its not working. switched the usb ports . But no Luck.
Any help.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-01 at 6.34.09 AM.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-01 at 6.34.09 AM.png
    67.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot 2022-11-01 at 6.40.16 AM.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-01 at 6.40.16 AM.png
    95 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot 2022-11-01 at 6.41.25 AM.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-01 at 6.41.25 AM.png
    93.9 KB · Views: 24
I am using Ventura 13.0. Just purchased TP Link UB500 Bluetooth USB Dongle.
i used the following Kext for Bluetooth device. but its not working. switched the usb ports . But no Luck.
Any help.

Make sure those kexts are installed in the following order:

Screenshot 2022-11-01 at 2.38.07 AM.png

Back