Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

I was just wondering if I had to do anything special with device properties when using a AMD Radeon VII 16 GB. Somehow I have the impression that the memory allocation is really slow when using Davinci Resolve. Any idea?

I was just wondering if I had to do anything special with device properties when using a AMD Radeon VII 16 GB. Somehow I have the impression that the memory allocation is really slow when using Davinci Resolve. Any idea?

The only time you need to mess with DeviceProperties with the Radeon VII is if you want to mess with PowerPlay Tables. If you are running the card at stock speeds, nothing needs to be done.

Happy new year and great to see this thread is still active. My copy of your initial i7 z370 build still works fine and I left it on Catalina (10.15). Unfortunately I now have to upgrade to a newer OS (I don't really mind which one) due to my FinalCutPro libraries not being compatible with my new M1 MacBook.

Should I upgrade straight to Monterey? Or rather Big Sur if that has better compatibility with this machine?

Can I use the apple software update functionality or do I need to update my EFI first / do something hackintosh specific? I have forgotten most things unfortunately, so I am not sure if the Update #50 in Post 1 is for this purpose or not.

The safe mode / BIOS issue was due to an empty battery btw, I switched it and now my mackintosh boots right away every time :)

EFI folder updated, booting flawlessly now, as you predicted without "agdpmod=pikera". Thank you once again for helping.

("agdpmod=pikera" at least helped me to get it booted prior to updating the EFI.)

BTW - 50% of the time I start my PC my mainboard is showing a safe mode screen (since about 2 months / Catalina install).

I simply press F1 to enter the BIOS and then F10 to exit the BIOS without doing anything and it then boots normally. I don't mind it too much, but if there was an easy fix that you know of I would not mind getting rid of that safe mode screen :)

Happy new year and great to see this thread is still active. My copy of your initial i7 z370 build still works fine and I left it on Catalina (10.15). Unfortunately I now have to upgrade to a newer OS (I don't really mind which one) due to my FinalCutPro libraries not being compatible with my new M1 MacBook.

Should I upgrade straight to Monterey? Or rather Big Sur if that has better compatibility with this machine?

Can I use the apple software update functionality or do I need to update my EFI first / do something hackintosh specific? I have forgotten most things unfortunately, so I am not sure if the Update #50 in Post 1 is for this purpose or not.

The safe mode / BIOS issue was due to an empty battery btw, I switched it and now my mackintosh boots right away every time :)

You can go straight to Monterey if you like.

Copy your existing EFI to the EFI partition of a USB flash drive for backup in case anything goes wrong.
Download the latest OpenCore EFI and replace your existing EFI on your boot drive.
Copy/paste your current Serial, Board Serial, UUID, and MAC address to the OpenCore config.plist.
Begin the update process from the App Store.

You can go straight to Monterey if you like.

Copy your existing EFI to the EFI partition of a USB flash drive for backup in case anything goes wrong.
Download the latest OpenCore EFI and replace your existing EFI on your boot drive.
Copy/paste your current Serial, Board Serial, UUID, and MAC address to the OpenCore config.plist.
Begin the update process from the App Store.
Thank you. I downloaded your EFI OpenCore 0.7.6. I assume I completely replace my old EFI folder (containing APPLE and CLOVER subfolders that yours seems to now call OC)?

Do I copy over current Serial, Board Serial, UUID, and MAC address via CloverConfigurator or what software should I use? Is the Board-ID in the clover configurator the Mac address field?

There are also a lot of other details in my old config.plist, I don't need those anymore?

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    29.8 MB · Views: 41
Thank you. I downloaded your EFI OpenCore 0.7.6. I assume I completely replace my old EFI folder (containing APPLE and CLOVER subfolders that yours seems to now call OC)?

Do I copy over current Serial, Board Serial, UUID, and MAC address via CloverConfigurator or what software should I use? Is the Board-ID in the clover configurator the Mac address field?

There are also a lot of other details in my old config.plist, I don't need those anymore?

Clover Serial Number = OpenCore System Serial Number
Clover Board Serial Number = OpenCore MLB
Clover SmUUID = OpenCore System UUID

Also, make sure OpenCore System Product name matches Clover Product Name.

To get your MAC address:
Open System Preferences.
Click on Network.
Select Ethernet on the left portion of the window.
Click the "Advanced" button.
Click the "Hardware" tab.
Your MAC address will be on the first line.

Clover Serial Number = OpenCore System Serial Number
Clover Board Serial Number = OpenCore MLB
Clover SmUUID = OpenCore System UUID

Also, make sure OpenCore System Product name matches Clover Product Name.

To get your MAC address:
Open System Preferences.
Click on Network.
Select Ethernet on the left portion of the window.
Click the "Advanced" button.
Click the "Hardware" tab.
Your MAC address will be on the first line.
Thank you, I have my Mac address and I see all my old details with the help of cloverconfigurator, but in what software can / should I edit the new config.plist?

Aside from product name, what do I need to copy over? Nothing? or do I copy over my old config.plist?

Thank you, I have my Mac address and I see all my old details with the help of cloverconfigurator, but in what software can / should I edit the new config.plist?

Aside from product name, what do I need to copy over? Nothing? or do I copy over my old config.plist?

You can use OpenCore Configurator.

Do not try to use your old config.plist with OpenCore.

Read the ReadMe file in the OpenCore EFI zip.

I have been running Mac Pro 7,1 since OpenCore started supporting memory maping and I feel like it runs much better this way. In addition I do not have to worry about WEG to get all ports on my Vega to work they just work. DRM content works just fine also. IMO the Mac Pro 7,1 is a closer match to our system than the iMac Pro 1,1. If you think about it a 9900k CPU and a Xeon W 3223 are very very close performance and generational wise.

You can use OpenCore Configurator.

Do not try to use your old config.plist with OpenCore.

Read the ReadMe file in the OpenCore EFI zip.
Thank you, OpenCore software is exactly what I needed to know. Upgrade worked fine, thank you once again!

I read your i9 upgrade experience posts, sounds interesting. Overall my setup (i7 8700K, 16gb ram, RX580 Pulse, 250gb crucial MX300 m.2) is still running fine, but it is a little slower than in the beginning, especially when exporting videos.

Would you recommend any upgrades right now?

Is it a matter of just swapping the cpu or ram or would that mess with my install / config?

And if I wanted a faster / bigger SSD (you recommended the Samsung 970EVO (non Plus), is this still the best choice?), is it a matter of cloning my boot drive or would that potentially cause issues if the new drive is a different make or size?

Then I would probably leave it be to avoid downtime...

Back