Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Thank you for your reply and effort @pastrychef
I tried to figure out for the last week. But didn't find any solution for my FireWire problem until now.

Tried different FireWire cables, PCIe slots and a lot of BIOS settings, e.g., PCI speed - gen3, disabling c states and other power management options.

I can hear coil whine on the board itself when the saffire pro 40/24 are active and attached to the FW PCIe card. As soon as I boot without the interface active, no whine on the board audible.
On Monday I get another FW Pcie card and I will try with this, maybe it solves the problem.

I already ordered and got another Interface with USB... with this: no noise at all, dead quiet.

I can't find that mobo anymore to replace it or at least try if it's something with the board.

The next days I will try to transition from clover to OpenCore. Maybe this can solve it. What do you think? Is the transition hard?
New FireWire PCI card and changing to OpenCore, both did not solve the digital / interference noise on my FW audio interface...
Again tried with different FW cables.

The new USB audio interface solves the problem, and I think this will be my solution, although I would really like to know what it is caused by.

A quick google results in LOTS of complaints of FireWire interference & noise, dating back to 2005 if not earlier. Seems like it’s a known thing.

New Firewire PCI card and changing to opencore, both did not solve the digital / interference noise on my fw audiointerface...
Again tried with different fw cables.

The new usb audio interface solves the problem and I think this will be my solution, although I would really like to know what it is caused by.

The new Firewire card, is it the same model?

The new Firewire card, is it the same model?
It's the same TI Chip XI02213BZAY, but cards are different brand, Kalea and Syba.
I thought maybe mine is faulty, and I've read that they work OOB. And they do.
I could also try this Digitus with TI chip...?

However I remember that I tried the FW card with my Focusrite Pro 24 before switching from i7-8700 to i9-9900K, and there wasn't such a noise.
However, there is more RAM at higher frequency and more SSD drives installed now including the NVMe.

I also measured the boards ground at I/O shield, etc., With a multimeter.

I have no clue.

A quick google results in LOTS of complaints of FireWire interference & noise, dating back to 2005 if not earlier. Seems like it’s a known thing.
I've seen it on gearspace and other forums. But I didn't find the right solution for me in the Internet.

I am happy that at least the USB interface does not have the problem, although spending the 500€ for a new interface or the 40€ for a PCIe card makes a difference.

It's the same TI Chip XI02213BZAY, but cards are different brand, kalea and syba.
I thought maybe mine is faulty and I've read that they work oob. And they do.
I could also try this Digitus with TI chip...?

However I remember that I tried the fw card with my focusrite Pro 24 before switching from i7 8700 to i9 9900k and there wasn't such a noise.
However there is more ram at higher frequency and more ssd drives installed now including the nvme.

I also measured the boards ground at io shield etc. With a multimeter.

I have no clue.

Hmm... Maybe try with XMP disabled?

Hmm... Maybe try with XMP disabled?
Already tried this. Same thing!
Thank you.

I think it's something caused by mobo, PSU, CPU or a combo. Maybe RAM?
Maybe my 550 watt PSU can't handle the i9...?

Once again thanks to you @pastrychef my Monterey install was smooth. I just used your OC config from stock but I disabled safe boot as it kept on rebooting.

The only minor thing I have is with my dual boot. When I select Windows from the boot picker it just hangs. I disconnected the Windows SSD when I installed Monterey then plugged it back in. I thought if I reinstalled Windows from scratch it would fix it ( disconnected the Monterey SSD when doing this).

Once again any help would be appreciated and thanks again in advance.

Once again thanks to you @pastrychef my Monterey install was smooth. I just used your OC config from stock but I disabled safe boot as it kept on rebooting.

The only minor thing I have is with my dual boot. When I select Windows from the boot picker it just hangs. I disconnected the Windows SSD when I installed Monterey then plugged it back in. I thought if I reinstalled Windows from scratch it would fix it ( disconnected the Monterey SSD when doing this).

Once again any help would be appreciated and thanks again in advance.

I don't know... I don't test the EFI folders for Windows compatibility... When I need to boot in to Windows, I use the BIOS boot menu (spam F8 key on boot).

Back