Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Yeah. It's not a problem.
Thank you!
On Big Sur already, updating went smooth.

Big UI change and lots of security options to configure.

I am dissapointed with the wx9100 and OctaneX performance, crashes with scenes created on my gtx 1080. Also luxmark crashes sometimes when starting cpu+gpu tests.
Guess I‘ll have to check my overclock setup and maybe lower it below 48.

Thank you!

I am dissapointed with the wx9100 and OctaneX performance, crashes with scenes created on my gtx 1080. Also luxmark crashes sometimes when starting cpu+gpu tests.

It shouldn't be crashing. Try without the overclocks.

Thank you!

Maybe the GPU is getting hot.

birthday_apple_grande.gif

It shouldn't be crashing. Try without the overclocks.
Maybe the GPU is getting hot.

Scott, it does not seem to be a temp problem but maybe it's a a power issue?. If the card spikes to higher than supposed wattage, might this be the problem?. My PSU is a Corsair 650watts 80 Plus Gold.

Running Cinebench r23 with an OC of 46 the system remained stable at around 85º with all 12 cores running full power and no panics. The GPU is not used in this CPU render tests.
But I observed iStat menus reporting CPU power spikes of 250w! Is this a normal behaviour? I believed it could not go higher than 95w.

Pastrychef, take look at the very good Cinebench results in the attached image. :D

So, yesterday I spent all day testing without any OC.

The crashing happens inside Cinema with certain heavy scenes only when Octane starts rendering: all the cores start working at full power and at some point -I guess when the card stars to actually render- the system freezes. Sometimes glitches invade both monitors.
Then either the OS logs out of the user (some kind of soft reboot? New to Big Sur?) or a hard reboot happens with the machine restarting.

I believe there is something on that Cinema scene that makes Octane do something too demanding. Maybe too much geometry for the AMD with 16GB even the 1080 has no problem with it?
A previous version of Octane induced hard reboots via a bad RAM management in all kind of systems.

Anyway I have finally ordered a i9-9900K as OctaneX does solely rely on CPU for denoising (bummer), I'll benefit with the upgrade.

Should I also upgrade my 650w PSU?

Thank you and happy easter.

Attachments

• Cinebench_OC46.png
    Cinebench_OC46.png
    84.3 KB · Views: 28
  • render failure glitches.png
    render failure glitches.png
    348 KB · Views: 41
Scott, it does not seem to be a temp problem but maybe it's a a power issue?. If the card spikes to higher than supposed wattage, might this be the problem?. My PSU is a Corsair 650watts 80 Plus Gold.

Running Cinebench r23 with an OC of 46 the system remained stable at around 85º with all 12 cores running full power and no panics. The GPU is not used in this CPU render tests.
But I observed iStat menus reporting CPU power spikes of 250w! Is this a normal behaviour? I believed it could not go higher than 95w.

Pastrychef, take look at the very good Cinebench results in the attached image. :D

The crashing happens inside Cinema with certain heavy scenes only when Octane starts rendering: all the cores start working at full power and at some point -I guess when the card stars to actually render- the system freezes. Sometimes glitches invade both monitors.
Then either the OS logs out of the user (some kind of soft reboot? New to Big Sur?) or a hard reboot happens with the machine restarting.

I believe there is something on that Cinema scene that makes Octane do something too demanding. Maybe too much geometry for the AMD with 16GB even the 1080 has no problem with it?
A previous version of Octane induced hard reboots via a bad RAM management in all kind of systems.

Anyway I have finally ordered a i9-9900K as OctaneX does solely rely on CPU for denoising (bummer), I'll benefit with the upgrade.

if that is 85C that's hot that is around when mine crashes rendering and lots of effects or gaming. Since I under volted the card and set the cards fan on blast off mode @ 75 it rarely reaches 78C and since no random freeze. You probably should have a 750w but plenty of people say 650w is fine. I do not think it is a power draw issue but a heat issue.

Once you start overclocking, the TDP ratings go out the window.

On my Vega 56 (BIOS flashed to Vega 64), when I was testing overclock stability, I regularly saw over 500W being drawn from the wall with heavy GPU loads. CPU load was medium.
I found my old Radeon VII to be much more power efficient. If my memory serves me correctly, I think total system draw maxed out at about 400W.
When running Cinebench r23, power draw from the wall tops out at 278W with my overclocked i9-9900K.

Technically, 650W should be enough, but, again, once you start overclocking, it's a completely different story.

85C for CPU is very good. 85C for GPU might be too hot.

If you are seeing graphical glitches on the screen, you may need need more cooling on the GPU. Don't keep stressing it until you address this.

One quick and easy way to improve GPU temps on Radeon VII is to improve mounting pressure of the heatsink. Please see article below. That guy used metal washers. I suggest using nylon washers. Also, when doing this, be careful not to tighten the screws too much for fear of damaging the GPU die. Just enough to squeeze the thermal pad a bit.

On Vega 56/64, redoing the thermal paste can help a little. How much improvement you see from repasting depends on the heatsink. The heatsinks used with "reference" cards hit the limits of their cooling ability rather quickly and repasting really only helps during cool down periods. On my Vega 56 Red Dragon, which has a very large heatsink and three fans, good thermal paste helped a lot.

Hey, i decided to update from Catalina to Big Sur 11,2,3. Updated kexts and Installed but did not update clover 5126. Then i had only option to boot from preboot (which worked), regular mac osx boot would hung on with apple logo and loading stip. I then booted from backup hdd and managed to mount ssd-d EFI and update with Pastrychefs 5132 and EFI. After that clover is updated but still loads only from preboot volume and now it does not even show Mac Osx regular boot volume, only preboot and boot from recovery. Tried also from recovery to reintsall mac osx, no joy, still no Mac Os X volume. Is there anything to fix this from clover or... I noticed the mount from SSD with clover also points to EFI located in Preboot volume (maybe it should, not sure).

@pastrychef Your knowledge is much appreciated, could You have insight on this problem (can i change something in clover or...) ?

All the best,
PK

Hey, i decided to update from Catalina to Big Sur 11,2,3. Updated kexts and Installed but did not update clover 5126. Then i had only option to boot from preboot (which worked), regular mac osx boot would hung on with apple logo and loading stip. I then booted from backup hdd and managed to mount ssd-d EFI and update with Pastrychefs 5132 and EFI. After that clover is updated but still loads only from preboot volume and now it does not even show Mac Osx regular boot volume, only preboot and boot from recovery. Tried also from recovery to reintsall mac osx, no joy, still no Mac Os X volume. Is there anything to fix this from clover or... I noticed the mount from SSD with clover also points to EFI located in Preboot volume (maybe it should, not sure).

@pastrychef Your knowledge is much appreciated, could You have insight on this problem (can i change something in clover or...) ?

All the best,
PK

This is normal. This is not a problem. With Big Sur, you must boot from preboot.

Back