Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Tried CPU-Name, doesn't work.. a few other guides from the start of the year don't work as well

Side note sir, is this true?

I don't know. I have not seen anything regarding iMac20,2 and Navi cards.

Hi, I am trying to do a fresh install of macOS Catalina 10.16.7. I have the complete installation package from the app store. I have a 16GB pendrive freshly erased/formated (GUID partition map, Mac OS extended (journaled). Downloaded the latest Unibeast for Catalina to create a bootable pendrive (where then I'll replace the EFI using EFI Clover r5122 Z370G.zip from post one, after replacing system definition, serial, board serial and UUID.)

Unfortunately Unibeast does not "want" to create the pendrive (using uefi boot mode, inject ATI/NVIDIA is not checked), it stops at this screen ... installing clover bootloader... i quit, restarted 3 times, waited more than 30 minutes each time... Could you suggest what I am doing wrong?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-09-26 at 15.06.21.png
    Screenshot 2020-09-26 at 15.06.21.png
    119.4 KB · Views: 43
So everything is working fine with Parstychef's help.
But now I have a strange problem and a couple of questions:

Problem: I have a Z-370E MB, it seems to work fine at the beginning but then after a while it does not boot anymore. Looking at the BIOS I saw that there is an other boot drive called "Opencopre" and that's the one which gets automatically selected at boot time.
If I manually go in the Bios and tell it to start with my EFI folder it boots. No matter what boot order I put the drives in BIOS it always goes back to try "Opencore" first????

Questions:
1) It seems to work with 3. monitors but it's a bit unstable. Anything I should change?

2) In my clover config.plist I have in boot args "-uia_exclude_hs -uia_exclude_ss uia_include=HS03;HS05;HS06;HS10;HS12;HS13;HS14;SS03;SS05;SS06" to setup my USB ports (again I have a Z-370E slightly different form Pastrychef's Z-370G) can I had the same string in OC?

So everything is working fine with Parstychef's help.
But now I have a strange problem and a couple of questions:

Problem: I have a Z-370E MB, it seems to work fine at the beginning but then after a while it does not boot anymore. Looking at the BIOS I saw that there is an other boot drive called "Opencopre" and that's the one which gets automatically selected at boot time.
If I manually go in the Bios and tell it to start with my EFI folder it boots. No matter what boot order I put the drives in BIOS it always goes back to try "Opencore" first????

Questions:
1) It seems to work with 3. monitors but it's a bit unstable. Anything I should change?

2) In my clover config.plist I have in boot args "-uia_exclude_hs -uia_exclude_ss uia_include=HS03;HS05;HS06;HS10;HS12;HS13;HS14;SS03;SS05;SS06" to setup my USB ports (again I have a Z-370E slightly different form Pastrychef's Z-370G) can I had the same string in OC?

I don't know why it stops booting. I've never come across this.

Yeah. OpenCore always pops up on top for me too.

I don't know about 3 monitors. I only have one. What sorts of instability are you having?

The boot arguments should work but I've found the USB ports kext works best with OpenCore.

I got a little bored tonight so I decided to do a bit of experimenting...

I tried installing an Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt PCI-e card in this system to see if it would work. The Alpine Ridge card has been flashed with the standard hackintosh firmware that's floating around. Here are my findings...
  • Pins 3 and 5 have to be jumped on the Alpine Ridge card since there's no Thunderbolt header on this motherboard.
  • The system will not even post if the Alpine Ridge card is installed in the PCIEX8_2 slot.
  • The system does boot when the Alpine Ridge card is installed in the PCIE_X1_2 slot.
  • My guess is that this is because Thunderbolt must be connected to PCH PCI-e lanes, not CPU PCI-e lanes.
  • Since the PCIE_X1_2 slot is an x1 slot, I had to use a jury-rigged ribbon cable.
  • Since it's just an x1 slot, even if the Thunderbolt card worked, it would be bottlenecked at 10Gb/s.
  • macOS does indeed recognize the card and it does appear in System Information > Thunderbolt.
  • The only Thunderbolt device I own is an OWC 10GBase-T to Thunderbolt adaptor. System Information does see the adaptor.
  • The network adaptor does show up in System Preferences > Networking but it never managed to establish a network connection.
  • I also tried a USB 3.1 gen 2 NVMe adaptor with a Type C cable and that appeared to work.
Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 1.17.54 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 1.19.12 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 1.24.13 AM.png

After upgrading to 10.15.7 I noticed first high cpu usage from "accountsd" process and but also "VTEncoderXPCService". Any ideas? When I turn off photo's in iCloud it looks solve the issue.

After upgrading to 10.15.7 I noticed first high cpu usage from "accountsd" process and but also "VTEncoderXPCService". Any ideas? When I turn off photo's in iCloud it looks solve the issue.

Back