Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Hi @pastrychef ,
In addition to Big Sur also on Catalina 10.15.6 it seems that the Youtube VP9 4k codec for Safari 14 is available.
To enable it, turn on the "Develop" menu and go to "Experimental Features". Then turn "WebRTC VP9 Codec".
But it doesn't work for me. Has anyone made it?

I didn't even know the option was there.

@pastrychef I have a slightly odd hardware issue. I get a pink windowing problem occasionally running OSX Mojave (10.14.3-10-14.6) and it doesn't matter if I am using Opencore EFI or Clover EFI. In both cases, I get occasional screen color-shifts. It's like the graphics windowing system is struggling and overlaying a translucent pink window. The most blatant way to get it to show this behavior is playing a video (i.e. youtube) which may start our fine but then gets overlaid with a pinkish square (see attached image.)

I've ruled out a few things.
-- behavior happens with opencore or clover, so not the fault of boot efi system
-- behavior happens with Mojave (10.14.3-10-14.6), I have not tried other OSX's but could.
-- happens in Chrome, Firefox, other apps so not app specific.
-- tried turning off / on hardware acceleration in apps, problem persists.
-- happens with DVI and Displayport so does not seem to be a cable problem.

Is this my monitor failing (unlikely.) Or a motherboard issue or video card? (Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon 580 8 GB?)
Possibly a bios setting?

I would stress test the video card to make sure it's not dying.

~20 minutes and two restarts... I'm on OpenCore.

Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 8.09.09 PM.png

I would stress test the video card to make sure it's not dying.
It is not the 580 card. tried running my system with two older Radeon video cards. Got the exact same problem of a pink overlay box on any video (Firefox, Safari, Chrome). Also any MP4 played with QuickTime.

So it does not seem to be a problem specific to any video card, display cable, or EFI boot system (Clover or OC.) (I try other settings on my Dell monitor it persists.) I am running out of things to think could cause this. It occurs on all web browsers and any video format. It's quite strange. Here is the behavior described:

"View any video it appears normal temporarily during playback. After about 3 seconds, a square pink overlay happens. Resize the window larger and it goes back to normal. After a few seconds the pink overlay returns at the new size."

IDEAS:
-- Can this just be a video issue specific to Mojave?
-- Is this my IGPU fighting with my graphics card for dominance?
-- Is this because some kind of hardware acceleration is kicking in? I disabled this in browsers -- no effect.
-- The next thing I might try is to see if I can duplicate pink-video in Catalina or Big Sur which would tell me it was a Mojave OS problem, but I can't find this as a "known" bug in Mojave. Hard to think only I would have it.
-- Is there any video BIOS setting that might be causing this?
-- If pink also happens with Catalina, I'd have to conclude the mobo was not processing a video signal correctly.

Sound right?

Attachments

• pinking.jpg
    pinking.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
IDEAS:
-- Can this just be a video issue specific to Mojave?
-- Is this my IGPU fighting with my graphics card for dominance?
-- Is this because some kind of hardware acceleration is kicking in? I disabled this in browsers -- no effect.
-- The next thing I might try is to see if I can duplicate pink-video in Catalina or Big Sur which would tell me it was a Mojave OS problem, but I can't find this as a "known" bug in Mojave. Hard to think only I would have it.
-- Is there any video BIOS setting that might be causing this?
-- If pink also happens with Catalina, I'd have to conclude the mobo was not processing a video signal correctly.

Sound right?

I don't think so.
I doubt it.
I doubt it.
I don't think Catalina or Big Sur will make a difference.
None that I can think of.
Not sure.

Are you using HDMI to connect your monitor?

Please see:

Hey guys! I just upgraded my computer from a Asus Maximus Formula VIII w/ i5 6600k to a Asus ROG Strix z490-e w/ i7 10700k and now my hackintosh boots to apple logo with no progress bar. Anyone have any recommendations on what I can do to fix this? thanks!

I don't think so.
I doubt it.
I doubt it.
I don't think Catalina or Big Sur will make a difference.
None that I can think of.
Not sure.

Are you using HDMI to connect your monitor?

Please see:

SOLVED> Holy cow! I finally tried this with a different monitor and it seems the "pink video" problem is unique to my Dell Ultrasharp monitor in this hardware setup (Dell 24 UltraSharp with PremierColor Monitor - U2413) which is admittedly getting older maybe vintage 2014. When I hooked it up to a newer Dell monitor (U2412M) via dvi the pink problem was gone. No more "pinking" to videos. I guess it's time to get a 4K display. Which one? I really liked the darn Dell U2413's very non gloss old "mac like" display. Crap, you can't live in the past...

Try searching Google for:
Code:
Change CPU name in "about this Mac"
Tried CPU-Name, doesn't work.. a few other guides from the start of the year don't work as well

Side note sir, is this true?
With the latest version of OC (0.6.1) new iMac models were added:

- Added iMac20,1 and iMac20,2 model codes

A lot of us with the RX 5700 (XT) cards are using the model iMac19,1 as the CPU and other stuff matches pretty good (with common build at least). But with iMac20,2 we get "native" support for those graphic cards.

So the question in short is: Is it worth changing the model (with new serial etc) to iMac20,2?

I have some minor connection problems with multiple monitors but it's quiet rarely and also there could be a bump in performance I guess.

I for example has these parts:

• Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI
  • Intel Core i9 9900K (iMac20.2 has 10900 but should be ok I guess)
  • Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT Nitro+

Last edited:
Back