Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

It's not work.this is screenshot.stuck here

Download the EFI from post #1.
Use Hackintool to fix your USB.
Take the USBPorts.kext that Hackintool creates and put it in /EFI/OC/kexts/.
Copy the entire EFI Folder and put it in the EFI partition of your main system drive.
Done.

Download the EFI from post #1.
Use Hackintool to fix your USB.
Take the USBPorts.kext that Hackintool creates and put it in /EFI/OC/kexts/.
Copy the entire EFI Folder and put it in the EFI partition of your main system drive.
Done.
I can't use Hackintool to fix usb,beacuse the keyboard and mouse don't work.oh my god

I can't use Hackintool to fix usb,beacuse the keyboard and mouse don't work.oh my god

Plug your keyboard and mouse in to different ports. At least one of them have to work.

You can also connect via screen sharing/VNC to run Hackintool.

@pastrychef , I share my experience of installing Opencore Bootloader on the Asus ROG Strix Z370-G. Basically I had success on the first attempt via your premade zip folder “EFI OpenCore 0.6.1 Z370G” but there were a few learning points which may help others trying this. I am not genius-expert so if this explanation is long and simple, that's where I am at.

A) I wanted to do a fresh OSX install onto a new 1 TB Samsung 860 EVO drive. I was creating this via my existing Hackintosh which was running Mojave with Clover bootloader. To create the USB installer, I followed the quite clear techy directions at the Opencore site which is also where I downloaded the utilities mentioned: https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore...ide/mac-install.html#setting-up-the-installer

B) This was a little different from the way I had previously made Clover installers with the Tonymac tools. For one, I used a few command line tools in Terminal, that all worked surprisingly well. I used the GibMacOS utility and ran the gibMacOS.command to download the entire 6GB+ macOS installer, once complete I ran the BuildmacOSInstallApp.command. This generates the same kind of installer that you would get if you downloaded via the Apple store and the image should be put in the Applications folder, to simplify the next step of using the createinstallmedia command.

C) Next I formatted the USB drive via Diskutility to prep for both the macOS installer and OpenCore. I used macOS Extended(HFS+) with a GUID partition map (not APFS). Created 2 partitions. The main MyVolume and a second called EFI which is used as a boot partition where your firmware will check for boot files. Next I ran the createinstallmedia command via Terminal.

D) I now had a USB drive with the OSX Installer on it and an empty EFI folder on it. I used the utility MountEFI to bring the (empty-USB) EFI folder onto my desktop. I downloaded the linked files you provided called “EFI OpenCore 0.6.1 Z370G.zip.”

Once opened, your Z370G EFI folder contained two folders “BOOT” and “OC.” I dragged a copy of “BOOT” and “OC” from your Z370G EFI folder into the empty EFI folder on the USB installer. Now, at least in theory I had a bootable Opencore+Catalina installer. I knew that I still needed to edit my config.plist with info specific to my hardware but I tried booting the installer anyway. To my (slight) surprise, the OC USB Catalina installer booted rather easily and I ran the OSX installer onto my new 1TB Drive. The installer ran to completion and OSX booted normally through the usual startup screens of a fresh OSX installation. Generally, this seemed a success!

E) Now, I wanted to make the 1TB drive bootable without the USB installer. I used MountEFI to open the 1TB EFI folder and it contained 1 folder called “APPLE.” (The Apple folder contains a file called “Firmware.scap” which can be ignored and is only for Apple OEM updates.) I took the same copies of “BOOT” and “OC” from the Pastrychef Z370G EFI folder and dragged them into the 1 TB EFI folder. So now I had a 1 TB drive with Catalina installed and a Z370G-specific EFI folder on that drive with “APPLE” “BOOT” And “OC.”

F) All that remained was to open the “OC” folder on 1 TB and make the changes in the config.plist specific to my Z370G hardware. I had to remember that I couldn’t just edit the config.plist inside the EFI partition. I had to make a copy onto my desktop, edit it, then delete the one inside the EFI folder and replace it for changes to take effect.

G) There are only a few data strings in config.plist that need to be changed specific to my particular Z370G hardware, as noted in Pastrychef’s README. They are the motherboard serial, the ROM data (MAC address), system product name (iMacPro1,1), SystemSerialNumber, and System UUID. I was stuck for a moment but I downloaded the utility GenSMBIOS-master which is a collection of scripts that generate this information particular to your personal hardware. It was extremely helpful and immediately generated nearly all of the information required.

H) The one thing that was a bit of a learning curve was putting in the MAC address (this is your network hardware address.) The MAC address is often referred to as a burned-in address (BIA) because, historically, this address is burned into ROM (Read-Only Memory) on the NIC. This means that the address is encoded into the ROM chip permanently - it cannot be changed by software. If you look up your MAC address under preferences > network > advanced > hardware you will see a data string like: 97:A1:C1:E3:36:F1. This is NOT the format you want to use when you put it into the config.plist. If you do, it will boot, but generate an OC error message in the process. The correct format for the config.plist is without colons and spaced properly so if your Mac address looks like "97:A1:C1:E3:36:F1" it should be put in config.plist as: “<97A1C1E3 36F1>” -- and if that seems confusing or tricky, you can try using the tool ProperTree to make sure your config.plist is correctly formatted. Propertree is a free cross-platform GUI plist editor written using Python. Once I had all those set, the installation booted from 1 TB without errors and all OSX functions seemed pretty immediately OK. I had to set system preferences > sound > to internal speakers. But that was it.

OBSERVATIONS AND PROBLEMS:

I.) Running with the opencore bootloader, I can’t access the BIOS screen at boot via holding down f2 or “delete.” Holding down either key, I just get a black screen that eventually yields the OC boot choices. If I disconnect all drives (no SATA devices) and boot with f2 or “delete” then the BIOS screen appears as you would expect and changes can be made and saved. This is not a deal-breaker but when I check online it seems a known bug and others online have noted it and freaked out. I tried adjusting the BIOS to a longer POST time (5 seconds) but this had no effect. Also, I then removed the 1 TB Opencore drive and tried booting with one of my older 250GB/Clover/Mojave drives and also failed to get into BIOS via f2 or “delete.” Strange! So I am not sure whether this problem arose with OC or what. Seems odd, and is possibly connected to my next SATA problem:

II.) If I boot from the 1TB / OC / Catalina drive with any other SATA drives attached to the system that are older (i.e. a 250GB/Clover/Mojave drive) then Opencore boot loader comes up and "sees" these other drives at the startup OC boot selector screen but after boot into OSX they are no longer visible. I tried to find and mount these drives with diskutil and diskutility, but nothing is available to mount. Even if I connect one externally via a USB port it is not mounting. I am wondering what I need to change to fix this and have drives mount? Is the problem that these drives have EFI partitions with Clover in them? Or a general SATA issue?

III.) I think some people have managed a dual-boot system where if they have 2 drives in a system and one has OC bootloader and one has Clover bootloader they can boot from either. I am not sure how I would set that up because as of this moment to me it looks like there is not great compatibility and if you have 2 different bootloaders on different drives they have to fight for the GUI??

Any advice or ideas appreciated. I could post my clover config.plist and my opencore config.plist if that would help.

Last edited:
OBSERVATIONS AND PROBLEMS:

I.) Running with the opencore bootloader, I can’t access the BIOS screen at boot via holding down f2 or “delete.” Holding down either key, I just get a black screen that eventually yields the OC boot choices. If I disconnect all drives (no SATA devices) and boot with f2 or “delete” then the BIOS screen appears as you would expect and changes can be made and saved. This is not a deal-breaker but when I check online it seems a known bug and others online have noted it and freaked out. I tried adjusting the BIOS to a longer POST time (5 seconds) but this had no effect. Also, I then removed the 1 TB Opencore drive and tried booting with one of my older 250GB/Clover/Mojave drives and also failed to get into BIOS via f2 or “delete.” Strange! So I am not sure whether this problem arose with OC or what. Seems odd, and is possibly connected to my next SATA problem:

II.) If I boot from the 1TB / OC / Catalina drive with any other SATA drives attached to the system that are older (i.e. a 250GB/Clover/Mojave drive) then Opencore boot loader comes up and "sees" these other drives at the startup OC boot selector screen but after boot into OSX they are no longer visible. I tried to find and mount these drives with diskutil and diskutility, but nothing is available to mount. Even if I connect one externally via a USB port it is not mounting. I am wondering what I need to change to fix this and have drives mount? Is the problem that these drives have EFI partitions with Clover in them? Or a general SATA issue?

III.) I think some people have managed a dual-boot system where if they have 2 drives in a system and one has OC bootloader and one has Clover bootloader they can boot from either. I am not sure how I would set that up because as of this moment to me it looks like there is not great compatibility and if you have 2 different bootloaders on different drives they have to fight for the GUI??

Any advice or ideas appreciated. I could post my clover config.plist and my opencore config.plist if that would help.

Try clearing NVRAM at the OpenCore boot menu. It will reset the system and you should be able to enter BIOS.

I don't know why your system is not seeing your other drives after you boot in to macOS. Did you set Finder to show your drives? What do you see when you enter "diskutil list" in Terminal?
Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 2.38.42 PM.png

Sure, you can just put Clover in the EFI partition of one drive and OpenCore in the EFI partition of another drive. When you turn on your computer, spam the F8 key to enter the BIOS boot menu. Select whichever drive you want to boot from.

Hi @pastrychef ,
In addition to Big Sur also on Catalina 10.15.6 it seems that the Youtube VP9 4k codec for Safari 14 is available.
To enable it, turn on the "Develop" menu and go to "Experimental Features". Then turn "WebRTC VP9 Codec".
But it doesn't work for me. Has anyone made it?

Try clearing NVRAM at the OpenCore boot menu. It will reset the system and you should be able to enter BIOS.
I don't know why your system is not seeing your other drives after you boot in to macOS. Did you set Finder to show your drives? What do you see when you enter "diskutil list" in Terminal?

I have this all working now. One thing that seemed to help (not sure if this was curative or not) was updating all EFI drive folders with your latest Clover 5122 folder. I just copied that over to all the non-Opencore drives and it started working with all drives appearing on desktop even booted from Opencore EFI. I can now boot either Opencore (1 SATA drive) or Clover (3 SATA drives) on this system. One question, it appears you have spent more time trying this out. Do you feel at this point that either Opencore or Clover is "better?" Which would you run if you were just interested in reliability?

@pastrychef I have a slightly odd hardware issue. I get a pink windowing problem occasionally running OSX Mojave (10.14.3-10-14.6) and it doesn't matter if I am using Opencore EFI or Clover EFI. In both cases, I get occasional screen color-shifts. It's like the graphics windowing system is struggling and overlaying a translucent pink window. The most blatant way to get it to show this behavior is playing a video (i.e. youtube) which may start our fine but then gets overlaid with a pinkish square (see attached image.)

I've ruled out a few things.
-- behavior happens with opencore or clover, so not the fault of boot efi system
-- behavior happens with Mojave (10.14.3-10-14.6), I have not tried other OSX's but could.
-- happens in Chrome, Firefox, other apps so not app specific.
-- tried turning off / on hardware acceleration in apps, problem persists.
-- happens with DVI and Displayport so does not seem to be a cable problem.

Is this my monitor failing (unlikely.) Or a motherboard issue or video card? (Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon 580 8 GB?)
Possibly a bios setting?

Attachments

• pink-tint.jpg
    pink-tint.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 44
I have this all working now. One thing that seemed to help (not sure if this was curative or not) was updating all EFI drive folders with your latest Clover 5122 folder. I just copied that over to all the non-Opencore drives and it started working with all drives appearing on desktop even booted from Opencore EFI. I can now boot either Opencore (1 SATA drive) or Clover (3 SATA drives) on this system. One question, it appears you have spent more time trying this out. Do you feel at this point that either Opencore or Clover is "better?" Which would you run if you were just interested in reliability?

After booting in to macOS, don't see any difference whether I used Clover or OpenCore.

If I had to choose one, I'd probably go with OpenCore for better future development.

Back