Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Yeah, I think I'm just falling down another rabbit hole here. I thought I fried my Vega last night after trying to get to the bottom of this. I am noticing that GB5 never really pushes the Core or Memory very high if I don't have RadeonBoost in there. So what I tried was to increase the Core clock at the lower states -- and it definitely didn't like it! The picture started flashing, then went black. Upon reboot, it locked up pre-POST. I turned everything off for a minute, then when it rebooted, the resolution was 640 x 480! Another reboot, and it was back to normal. Whew.

Anyway, I am curious what RadeonBoost does to get the better GB5 scores but not have that much effect in a "real" OpenCL test like LuxMark. I'm thinking that going forward, mattystonnie and CMMChris will eventually drop support for these extensions. Already, in Big Sur, mattystonnie's SSDT doesn't work. CMMChris dropped Vega support for his kext, and someone added it back in. I don't know how much longer these will last particularly as the Vega becomes obsolete. So I'm trying to figure out how to overclock on my own.

But ultimately, this is to bask in the glory of the high benchmark scores. Functionally, I don't really see much difference. Over in the Windows side where I game, the effects of overclocking are more noticeable. And the overclocking process is much more straightforward.

Thanks

Ted

Just as an FYI, I booted in to Windows to check my Vega settings (I use the same overclock in Windows as I do in macOS). I have my GPU clocked at 1630MHz @ 1050mV and VRAM clocked at 1020MHz @ 980mV. This allows the card top out at around 65C. I remember pushing the GPU and VRAM even higher but it resulted in the fans running way too loud. This ended up being the best balance for me.

Thanks PC. I didn't realize you can undervolt the memory. I tried Core 1715MHz @1050mV and Memory 1045MHz @ 1000mV and it worked fine. Temps didn't exceed 80C. My LuxMark score is about 31K, which is about a 10% gain.

For some reason, my GB5 scores don't budge. The only way I can bump the scores is if I have the RadeonBoost kext. I find it strange that Jay only needs to inject the PPT and he can get the increase in GB5.

Anyway, this was an interesting experiment. The only time I really push the card is running LuxMark, and even then the overclock only gives me a small increase in the score. So there's no real benefit for my uses to overclock on the Mac side, other than saying I understand how to do it now. I probably will just reset the values to before.

Just as an FYI, I booted in to Windows to check my Vega settings (I use the same overclock in Windows as I do in macOS). I have my GPU clocked at 1630MHz @ 1050mV and VRAM clocked at 1020MHz @ 980mV. This allows the card top out at around 65C. I remember pushing the GPU and VRAM even higher but it resulted in the fans running way too loud. This ended up being the best balance for me.

Thanks PC. I didn't realize you can undervolt the memory. I tried Core 1715MHz @1050mV and Memory 1045MHz @ 1000mV and it worked fine. Temps didn't exceed 80C. My LuxMark score is about 31K, which is about a 10% gain.

For some reason, my GB5 scores don't budge. The only way I can bump the scores is if I have the RadeonBoost kext. I find it strange that Jay only needs to inject the PPT and he can get the increase in GB5.

Anyway, this was an interesting experiment. The only time I really push the card is running LuxMark, and even then the overclock only gives me a small increase in the score. So there's no real benefit for my uses to overclock on the Mac side, other than saying I understand how to do it now. I probably will just reset the values to before.

You should do some testing in Windows because they have better tools to monitor the GPU. When I tried to push the GPU clock too high, the low voltage capped how high it actually went.

Here are my benchmark scores so you can compare... 1630MHz GPU and 1020MHz VRAM.

Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 9.05.46 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 9.07.04 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 9.11.45 PM.png

Hi pastry and everyone.

Any issues if I were to upgrade the rx580 to 5700xt? Is there any specific brands to avoid? Is it also a plug and play card in catalina? And do I need to adjust anything under whatever green or radeon boost?

Hi pastry and everyone.

Any issues if I were to upgrade the rx580 to 5700xt? Is there any specific brands to avoid? Is it also a plug and play card in catalina? And do I need to adjust anything under whatever green or radeon boost?

Just add the "agdpmod=pikera" boot argument and disable RadeonBoost.

I am unaware of any specific 5700 XTs to avoid. As far as I know, they all work. Be careful when choosing a card, most 5700 XTs are wider than two slots. This is a problem if you need access to the adjacent PCI-e slot.

Last edited:
Anybody using high speed monitors like gaming monitors? I want you know that my new dual Dell setup 2 x S2721DGF (1440p) are running both @ 165Hz which looks amazing in MacOS. Although I sold my P2715Q which was 4K it was also quite buggy in MacOS. Are there already details revealed about the RX6000s?

Back