Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

To set the default boot volume, go to System Preferences > Startup Disk and select the drive you'd like to boot from.

I am unaware of any way to set the visual order of how the volumes appear at the OpenCore boot menu. There may be a way, I just never looked in to it...

No issue with the visual order just want to get it into the right OS.

Also for the delay timer is somewhere in the config file too?

No issue with the visual order just want to get it into the right OS.

Also for the delay timer is somewhere in the config file too?

Yes. Go to config.plist > Misc > Boot > Timeout.

Can someone give an update about the compatibility with RX 5700(XT)s. I plan to swap my Vega 64 for a 5700 but I like to know which model has best results and best compatibility with MacOS. Any ideas?

Can someone give an update about the compatibility with RX 5700(XT)s. I plan to swap my Vega 64 for a 5700 but I like to know which model has best results and best compatibility with MacOS. Any ideas?

I haven't seen any specific 5700 XT cards that don't work. Be careful about which card you get though, most 5700 XTs are wider than two slots. If you need access to the PCI-e x1 slot, make sure you get a card that only takes up two slots.

Just disable RadeonBoost.kext and add the "agdpmod=pikera" boot argument in your EFI and you should be good.

Greetings! Well, I've updated my main hack to Catalina (10.15.6) from Mojave (10.14.6) and all seems to be running fine. Though, my Geekbench 5 scores for AMD RX570 GPU (OpenCL and Metal) have dropped significantly; roughly 30-40% lower. Have I missed something?
Booting to a temporary install of Mojave (with the same EFI) and the scores go back up. Any ideas?

Edit: EFI is included, if that helps.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    22.9 MB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Hi PC

I've been playing around with Powerplaytable. Starting with yours, then generating my own with VGTab and now CMMChris' spreadsheet.

I can get really good LuxMark scores, but I am finding with GeekBench 5, my OpenCL and Metal scores don't really go up by much. In LuxMark, my Memory Clock is hitting the max speeds, but I am finding with GB5, the memory speed never really goes beyond 500 MHz.

To improve the GB5 scores, I have to use a modified version of RadeonBoost. But I am finding that when I have RadeonBoost, it caps the speed at 800 MHz.

Any idea why GB5 fails to go to the maximum memory speed that I inject with my Powerplay table?

Thanks

Ted

Assuming that your Vega video card has sufficient cooling and the same overclocking headroom as my Vega, yes.

Hi PC

I've been playing around with Powerplaytable. Starting with yours, then generating my own with VGTab and now CMMChris' spreadsheet.

I can get really good LuxMark scores, but I am finding with GeekBench 5, my OpenCL and Metal scores don't really go up by much. In LuxMark, my Memory Clock is hitting the max speeds, but I am finding with GB5, the memory speed never really goes beyond 500 MHz.

To improve the GB5 scores, I have to use a modified version of RadeonBoost. But I am finding that when I have RadeonBoost, it caps the speed at 800 MHz.

Any idea why GB5 fails to go to the maximum memory speed that I inject with my Powerplay table?

Thanks

Ted

Honestly, I haven't dug that deep in to it... I have been using the same PowerPlay Table that I generated when I first got my current Vega 56 and haven't done any tuning since then.

Yeah, I think I'm just falling down another rabbit hole here. I thought I fried my Vega last night after trying to get to the bottom of this. I am noticing that GB5 never really pushes the Core or Memory very high if I don't have RadeonBoost in there. So what I tried was to increase the Core clock at the lower states -- and it definitely didn't like it! The picture started flashing, then went black. Upon reboot, it locked up pre-POST. I turned everything off for a minute, then when it rebooted, the resolution was 640 x 480! Another reboot, and it was back to normal. Whew.

Anyway, I am curious what RadeonBoost does to get the better GB5 scores but not have that much effect in a "real" OpenCL test like LuxMark. I'm thinking that going forward, mattystonnie and CMMChris will eventually drop support for these extensions. Already, in Big Sur, mattystonnie's SSDT doesn't work. CMMChris dropped Vega support for his kext, and someone added it back in. I don't know how much longer these will last particularly as the Vega becomes obsolete. So I'm trying to figure out how to overclock on my own.

But ultimately, this is to bask in the glory of the high benchmark scores. Functionally, I don't really see much difference. Over in the Windows side where I game, the effects of overclocking are more noticeable. And the overclocking process is much more straightforward.

Thanks

Ted

Honestly, I haven't dug that deep in to it... I have been using the same PowerPlay Table that I generated when I first got my current Vega 56 and haven't done any tuning since then.

Yeah, I think I'm just falling down another rabbit hole here. I thought I fried my Vega last night after trying to get to the bottom of this. I am noticing that GB5 never really pushes the Core or Memory very high if I don't have RadeonBoost in there. So what I tried was to increase the Core clock at the lower states -- and it definitely didn't like it! The picture started flashing, then went black. Upon reboot, it locked up pre-POST. I turned everything off for a minute, then when it rebooted, the resolution was 640 x 480! Another reboot, and it was back to normal. Whew.

Anyway, I am curious what RadeonBoost does to get the better GB5 scores but not have that much effect in a "real" OpenCL test like LuxMark. I'm thinking that going forward, mattystonnie and CMMChris will eventually drop support for these extensions. Already, in Big Sur, mattystonnie's SSDT doesn't work. CMMChris dropped Vega support for his kext, and someone added it back in. I don't know how much longer these will last particularly as the Vega becomes obsolete. So I'm trying to figure out how to overclock on my own.

But ultimately, this is to bask in the glory of the high benchmark scores. Functionally, I don't really see much difference. Over in the Windows side where I game, the effects of overclocking are more noticeable. And the overclocking process is much more straightforward.

Thanks

Ted

Yeah, I've never tried to push the clocks on the lower P-states. Seems dangerous.

RadeonBoost injects the attributes from better matched frame buffers to the one that is used by default.

Yeah. Overclocking Vega cards make a huge difference in gaming in Windows.

Back