Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

3.6 seems to update to 3.7 in-app. Works fine on the MacBook Pro 2012. :)

Hi @pastrychef

DP was good untill today I restart my rig(restart used to be fine)
Only HDMI is working but DP is not.

Another DP monitor not even shown in Displays...

Snipaste_2020-06-10_12-37-03.png

Do you have any suggestions ?

Hi @pastrychef

DP was good untill today I restart my rig(restart used to be fine)
Only HDMI is working but DP is not.

Another DP monitor not even shown in Displays...

View attachment 475289

Do you have any suggestions ?

I've never heard of anyone else experiencing this.

If all was working and there was no changes to macOS and/or Clover, I would suspect hardware being the issue.

I think the same...
Then I switch to Windows 10 and it works fine..

Then there must've been some change to macOS or Clover.

The only thing that I can think of that would affect the ports is WhateverGreen.

Hi Chef - tried switching the cable no luck there, but I think i have my solution finally.
For anyone looking to use high refresh rate supported monitors with hackintosh, I suggest installing switchrezx and confirming that your monitor by default is set to 60hz and at its native resolution. It seems mine was set to 85hz somehow. Since setting back to 60 I haven't had the black screen on boot issue. Maybe with an AMD card / drivers you would get better results with higher refresh rates... for me I don't mind because the system is dual boot and the monitor reverts itself back to 120hz on windows for games.

- If the monitor gets unplugged or the computer goes to sleep, display stays black and the system wont output anything until rebooted (cold boot... weird right? if not a cold boot, it will sometimes freeze on boot or give no signal once booted)

Do you think this sleep / wake issue is the common one that people seem to have or is it somehow related to the above issue that i thought solved?

Last edited:
Do you think this sleep / wake issue is the common one that people seem to have or is it somehow related to the above issue that i thought solved?

I've never had issues with sleep/wake on this build. As far as I know, everyone has sleep/wake working. Those who did have issues, most were caused by not fixing USB and, once USB was fixed, everything was fine.

ok retracting my previous post. Black screen still occuring after boot even though somehow i went through about 10 reboots without issue yesterday, the black screen is back in full force today.... The display shows for a second then goes black about 50% of the time. Does not happen on lower resolution monitors (tested with 1024x768 projector and no issue, also used to use 2x1080p monitors with no issue).

This has to be a problem with macos or nvidia webdriver not detecting the display (logging in on remote desktop and checking switchresx there is no display detected). It is a high resolution but i don't really see why that should matter (3840x1600 at 60hz over display port)

If it was a kext problem wouldn't it happen on all displays and screen would be black before the computer is finished booting? This used to happen but updating whatevergreen and lilu seems to have fixed that part of the problem, now screen only goes black after booting into the login screen

Last edited:
ok retracting my previous post. Black screen still occuring after boot even though somehow i went through about 10 reboots without issue yesterday, the black screen is back in full force today.... The display shows for a second then goes black about 50% of the time. Does not happen on lower resolution monitors (tested with 1024x768 projector and no issue, also used to use 2x1080p monitors with no issue).

The inconsistency and randomness of the issue tells me that it's a hardware issue.

If it were a software issue, your monitor will either work or not consistently.

Your monitor wouldn't happen to be a Dell P2715Q, would it?

The inconsistency and randomness of the issue tells me that it's a hardware issue.

If it were a software issue, your monitor will either work or not consistently.

Your monitor wouldn't happen to be a Dell P2715Q, would it?

No, its an LG 38GL950. A beast of a screen. The black screen issue didnt happen on the first few boots when I got the monitor so I thought all was fine on the hackintosh side. Too late to return it now (~6months). Aside from this one issue its been great. like i said not a single problem on windows which is why i struggle to see how it could be hardware.

Kind of kills the creativity when i load into osx to work on some beats and have to reboot 5-10 times before i see a desktop. Don't get me wrong i like a good troubleshooting project, but like you said with the inconsistency of the problem it is proving hard to isolate what is really happening. All I've really accomplished so far has been to update my kexts (which stopped black screen from happening prior to the machine finishing booting), but the problem persists after boot - sometimes at login screen, other times a few seconds after logging in.

Last edited:
Back