Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

@pastrychef I just updated yesterday to 10.15.4 and updated to the latest kexts; clover is v5115. I have a weird behaviour that seems to be related to HDR.

After waking up monitors having gone to sleep (no need for full system to go to sleep), I get extremely vivid colors instead of normal colors. It is unusable as it is almost painful to the eyes.
I noticed the HDR setting which seems to have come from the 10.15.4 upgrade so for now I disabled that setting.

I have zero idea on how HDR is handled and what is GPU vs monitor vs system related in the context of HDR works.

Monitors are both LG UK650, GPU is an RX580.

When I disable then enable HDR through display properties panel, I see my LG switching to HDR mode and the default mode is VIVID which seems to make sense. I have attached three pictures taken with my phone:
IMG_5895 is after monitor wakes up from sleep - it goes to an HDR mode in VIVID
IMG_9255 is HDR with a monitor setting of HDR norm (showing the influence of the monitor settings).
IMG_7751 is the mode I get after a system reboot or when I disable HDR in the display setting.

I am trying to understand:
  • whether HDR is new in 10.15.4?
  • why would I notice that switch to HDR only after sleep/wake of the monitor (and/or system sleep/wake)
Any idea on how color management is done in context of HDR is welcome as I have been running that system for quite some time and never had such an issue.

Attachments

• IMG_7751.jpg
    IMG_7751.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 55
  • IMG_9255.jpg
    IMG_9255.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_5895.jpg
    IMG_5895.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 68
Last edited:
@pastrychef I just updated yesterday to 10.15.4 and updated to the latest kexts; clover is v5115. I have a weird behaviour that seems to be related to HDR.

After waking up monitors having gone to sleep (no need for full system to go to sleep), I get extremely vivid colors instead of normal colors. It is unusable as it is almost painful to the eyes.
I noticed the HDR setting which seems to have come from the 10.15.4 upgrade so for now I disabled that setting.

I have zero idea on how HDR is handled and what is GPU vs monitor vs system related in the context of HDR works.

Monitors are both LG UK650, GPU is an RX580.

When I disable then enable HDR through display properties panel, I see my LG switching to HDR mode and the default mode is VIVID which seems to make sense. I have attached three pictures taken with my phone:
IMG_5895 is after monitor wakes up from sleep - it goes to an HDR mode in VIVID
IMG_9255 is HDR with a monitor setting of HDR norm (showing the influence of the monitor settings).
IMG_7751 is the mode I get after a system reboot or when I disable HDR in the display setting.

I am trying to understand:
  • whether HDR is new in 10.15.4?
  • why would I notice that switch to HDR only after sleep/wake of the monitor (and/or system sleep/wake)
Any idea on how color management is done in context of HDR is welcome as I have been running that system for quite some time and never had such an issue.

Yes, HDR is new on Catalina 10.15.4.

I really don't know anything about the feature. I don't have an HDR monitor and I don't even see the option to enable it in System Preferences.

OpenCore EFI updated.
  • OpenCore 0.5.8
  • All kexts updated to latest release versions
  • RadeonBoost.kext added
  • OpenCanopy enabled by default
  • Startup chime already configured, but disabled by default (to enable, config.plist > UEFI > Audio > PlayChime > Yes)

Do not use config.plists from older versions of OpenCore with this version.

Yes, HDR is new on Catalina 10.15.4.

I really don't know anything about the feature. I don't have an HDR monitor and I don't even see the option to enable it in System Preferences.

Ok thanks as usual for your quick contribution @pastrychef - always appreciated. I disabled HDR and resuming after sleep does not trigger the VIVID HDR setting on my monitors.
I will read a bit on HDR to learn how it is implemented on 10.15.4.

OpenCore EFI updated.
  • OpenCore 0.5.8
  • All kexts updated to latest release versions
  • RadeonBoost.kext added
  • OpenCanopy enabled by default
  • Startup chime already configured, but disabled by default (to enable, config.plist > UEFI > Audio > PlayChime > Yes)

Do not use config.plists from older versions of OpenCore with this version.
Hi @pastrychef
I'm doing a first check before trying it ... sorry .. the ACPI folder is missing SSDT-USB.amlOC058.png

Tried the 0.5.8 OpenCore EFI and couldn't log in anymore. Login progress bar moved slow & got stuck eventually. Tried both the original and revised one. Had to revert back to 0.5.7 in order to boot. Not sure if it's my system which is incompatible with this version but didn't work...

edit: used config.plist from the 0.5.8 folder, just copied the usual values over.

Hey. Which is better to use EFI for macOS Mojave 10.14.6?

I took - EFI Clover r5107 Z370G (Catalina), but here are a few sensors, and I did not work enough to assess the stability

And is the iDiot method still working?
Or is it better to use another EFI?
Although with the EFI Clover r5107 Z370G I have earned the ability to control the speed of the fan through the iStat, there are not enough sensors.

In general, the drivers and kexts folders are different from the folders for Mojave. Maybe add something, but throw something in the EFI Clover r5107 Z370G

1. Intel i9-9900K Processor
2.Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WIFI AC)
3. Asus PCI-Ex Radeon RX580 AREZ Strix 8GB GDDR5 (256bit) (1411/8000) (DVI, 2 x HDMI, 2 x DisplayPort) (AREZ-STRIX-RX580-T8G-GAMING)

Idiot's Guide To iMessage didn’t work for something, apparently, I was mistaken somewhere, will I try again? Previously, everything worked on a different assembly, but the truth was 2 years ago.

Tried the 0.5.8 OpenCore EFI and couldn't log in anymore. Login progress bar moved slow & got stuck eventually. Tried both the original and revised one. Had to revert back to 0.5.7 in order to boot. Not sure if it's my system which is incompatible with this version but didn't work...

edit: used config.plist from the 0.5.8 folder, just copied the usual values over.

Please boot in verbose mode and post a picture of where it gets stuck.

Hey. Which is better to use EFI for macOS Mojave 10.14.6?

I took - EFI Clover r5107 Z370G (Catalina), but here are a few sensors, and I did not work enough to assess the stability

And is the iDiot method still working?
Or is it better to use another EFI?
Although with the EFI Clover r5107 Z370G I have earned the ability to control the speed of the fan through the iStat, there are not enough sensors.

In general, the drivers and kexts folders are different from the folders for Mojave. Maybe add something, but throw something in the EFI Clover r5107 Z370G

1. Intel i9-9900K Processor
2.Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WIFI AC)
3. Asus PCI-Ex Radeon RX580 AREZ Strix 8GB GDDR5 (256bit) (1411/8000) (DVI, 2 x HDMI, 2 x DisplayPort) (AREZ-STRIX-RX580-T8G-GAMING)

Idiot's Guide To iMessage didn’t work for something, apparently, I was mistaken somewhere, will I try again? Previously, everything worked on a different assembly, but the truth was 2 years ago.

r5107 should be fine for Mojave.

Idiot's guide to iMessage is still relevant. Follow that guide to confirm your generated serial is good.

If you want more sensors, you can try using FakeSMC instead of VirtualSMC. However, I do not know if using FakeSMC will break FileVault compatibility. You can also try older versions of my EFI folders that used FakeSMC before I switched to VirtualSMC. I can't remember when that happened...

Back