Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Hello again @pastrychef
I think I've narrowed down the External USB SSD freezing issue. It is isolated to this USB-C drive only. All other USB drives works fine and tested using all USB ports. This USB-c drive (SanDisk Extreme SSD 2TB USB 3 Gen 2) works fine with a real Mac- tested on MBP with Catalina. So can rule out it's a hardware fault.

Do you know if there is a problem with USB-C drives related USB port issues?

I've checked the mobo z370-G ports spec and tested on both USB 3.0 Gen 2 and Gen 1 ports, and all consistently freeze/crash after plugging in and viewing the drive in finder for a few minutes.

Crash log attached.

Anyone else got the same issue?
Cheers!

Attachments

• USB crashlog.pdf
    37.1 KB · Views: 73
Hello again @pastrychef
I think I've narrowed down the External USB SSD freezing issue. It is isolated to this USB-C drive only. All other USB drives works fine and tested using all USB ports. This USB-c drive (SanDisk Extreme SSD 2TB USB 3 Gen 2) works fine with a real Mac- tested on MBP with Catalina. So can rule out it's a hardware fault.

Do you know if there is a problem with USB-C drives related USB port issues?

I've checked the mobo z370-G ports spec and tested on both USB 3.0 Gen 2 and Gen 1 ports, and all consistently freeze/crash after plugging in and viewing the drive in finder for a few minutes.

Crash log attached.

Anyone else got the same issue?
Cheers!

No, I've never heard of USB-C causing problems.

Is your drive formatted as NTFS? I know that Paragon NTFS has been known to be a problem sometimes...

Also, you do not need SMCBatteryManager and SMCLightSensor. You can delete those two kexts.

It has to be connected to one of the internal USB2 headers. That means it's either HS11, HS12, HS13, or HS14. All the PCI-e Wi-Fi/Bluetooth adaptors I've seen use the even numbered port so it's probably either HS12 or HS14.

Try enabling one or the other in your USBPorts.kext to find out which it is via trial and error. Bluetooth MUST show up in System Information > USB for Bluetooth to work.
Alright, it worked. It turned out the USBInjectAll.kext and with xhciportlimit flag were not configured properly to show all the connected USB devices.
The bluetooth connection showed up after a proper combination and I now have a working WiFi & Bluetooth conneciton through the FENVI t919.

Thank you so much Pastrychef!

But yours Z370 EFI have Clover R5104 right? I need to update it to 5107? Its just open clover configurator and select the option to update clover?

Please see post #1.

Please see post #1.

Thats where i am checking:

1586799183369.png

The only file with clover 5107 is for z390.

Back