Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

I already tried with HDMI and DisplayPort. Here is how it looks after install.

The pink with HDMI, and the other with DisplayPort.

That's normal with IGPU at the beginning of the boot process. I believe it was improved with newer versions of WhateverGreen.

Where does it get stuck? Please post a picture of the verbose screen were it gets stuck.

After a few more tries, I'm sure it's not a (pure) USB issue. When the machine comes back from sleep, I can move the mouse cursor around for a few seconds, and then the whole machine freezes until reset (clock is stuck etc.). So it seems like something related to waking from sleep is different than before, given that it worked perfectly with 10.15.3 and the previous (pre-5107) EFI.

I'm not sure if you fixed this yet but I solved it by removing AppleALC. Pastry did it by removing WhaterverGreen.

So choose whichever option works best for your situation.

That's normal with IGPU at the beginning of the boot process. I believe it was improved with newer versions of WhateverGreen.

Where does it get stuck? Please post a picture of the verbose screen were it gets stuck.

Going to check that

I'm not sure if you fixed this yet but I solved it by removing AppleALC. Pastry did it by removing WhaterverGreen.

So choose whichever option works best for your situation.

Thanks. Can you tell me the main differences of using one and another?

Thanks. Can you tell me the main differences of using one and another?

As I understand it...

Removing WhateverGreen, you'll lose a couple of the ports on your GPU. (Someone posted a possible patch to restore them but I don't know if it actually works)

Removing AppleALC, you'll lose onboard audio (3.5mm jack outputs & iGPU audio)

EDIT: To clarify, if you need audio from inbuilt components, you need AppleALC. If you are using a USB interface then that will work without AppleALC.

Last edited:
As I understand it...

Removing WhateverGreen, you'll lose a couple of the ports on your GPU. (Someone posted a possible patch to restore them but I don't know if it actually works)

Removing AppleALC, you'll lose onboard audio (3.5mm jack outputs & iGPU audio)
AppleALC is needed for audio, don't remove it

AppleALC is needed for audio, don't remove it

Erm, I said it is needed for inbuilt audio... which is correct. I use a USB interface and as such do not require inbuilt audio.

Removing AppleALC means I can take advantage of WhateverGreen and not have panics after sleep.

It is perfectly acceptable to suggest both options, as both options solve the panic. It is up to the user to decide which route they want to take based on the side-effects of each option and how that works with their set up.

I think the problem was related to my old EFI it was still there, so I completely clean the partitions and now I see the proper clover version loading but I am still stuck on install I can’t get it to the install screen, it stuck on this part (attachment).

do I need any special kext or flag?

Attachments

• 0695FAF0-5C91-4050-B798-8BAB23F30924.jpeg
    0695FAF0-5C91-4050-B798-8BAB23F30924.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 52
I think the problem was related to my old EFI it was still there, so I completely clean the partitions and now I see the proper clover version loading but I am still stuck on install I can’t get it to the install screen, it stuck on this part (attachment).

do I need any special kext or flag?

Did you do a BIOS update? I think the last time I saw someone encounter this, he/she ended up downgrading BIOS.

Please try the following fix:

Yeah, I did update the BIOS. But I just tested adding your EFI to the USB and change to 18.1 as I have Intel he 630. I was able to install and boot. Now I need to see if I can boot without the pen drive. :)

Back