Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Whenever I hard boot (from full power off), my monitor (Dell P2715Q) is blank (power save mode) until the logon screen appears. Thus, I can't see the Clover boot menu. I have to then do a soft restart so I can see the boot screen.

Any thoughts on if there's a way to correct this? The build is rock solid otherwise so this is just an inconvenience.
(Monitor connected via DisplayPort.)

Whenever I hard boot (from full power off), my monitor (Dell P2715Q) is blank (power save mode) until the logon screen appears. Thus, I can't see the Clover boot menu. I have to then do a soft restart so I can see the boot screen.

Any thoughts on if there's a way to correct this? The build is rock solid otherwise so this is just an inconvenience.
(Monitor connected via DisplayPort.)

The Dell P2715Q has known firmware issues... I had one of these monitors in the past. Sometimes, I had to cycle power to get the monitor to display anything when coming out of sleep.

I guess you can try disabling the the default boot option and timeout in config.plist. Then, it will wait for you to choose which volume to boot from instead of automatically booting to a default volume. This will give you time to power cycle the monitor...

Ok, I know the P2715Q is kinda flaky. I'm not even sure I can force it to come out of sleep with a power cycle, but I'll give that a try. Will probably swap my LG monitor over to the Hack instead. Thanks!

Hi @pastrychef,

I sort everything out and all funtional..
Except the performance for my i7-8700k.

I only have score of 1339 for single core and 6333 for multi cores in geekbench tool even after I close all other applications....
The following shows my ram frequency is 1500Mhz...
https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/1193771

I have attached my EFI folder.

Meanwhile, I've enabled Intel Virtualization Technology and disabled vt-d in BIOS.
Enabled xmp in Ai tweaker, CPU aim at 4700Mhz and DRAM at 3000MHz.

Thanks for any suggestions!
I can attach my BIOS screenshots if you needed.
Snipaste_2020-02-10_17-52-56.png

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    18.2 MB · Views: 55
Hi @pastrychef,

I sort everything out and all funtional..
Except the performance for my i7-8700k.

I only have score of 1339 for single core and 6333 for multi cores in geekbench tool even after I close all other applications....
The following shows my ram frequency is 1500Mhz...
https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/1193771

I have attached my EFI folder.

Meanwhile, I've enabled Intel Virtualization Technology and disabled vt-d in BIOS.
Enabled xmp in Ai tweaker, CPU aim at 4700Mhz and DRAM at 3000MHz.

Thanks for any suggestions!
I can attach my BIOS screenshots if you needed.View attachment 449279

What was the cause of the problem? What was the fix?

Those GeekBench scores sound fine if you are running GeekBench 5.x.x.

If you want to see higher numbers, run GeekBench 4.x.x.

1500MHz RAM = 3000MHz. DDR = Double Data Rate. If you are running 3000MHz RAM, it's reporting correctly.

The following is my i9-9900K with 3500MHz RAM.
Screen Shot 2020-02-10 at 7.33.02 PM.png

Last edited:
Hi,

Having a pretty terrible upgrade experience. Have the same hardware as Pastry's build except an 8700K and Nvidia 1080 GPU. Had a perfectly stable Sierra and on trying to upgrade to High Sierra cant boot up. I've tried a clean install and using the Unified High Sierra EFI from page 1 on a fresh UniBeast High Sierra USB installer stick I can't get past half way on the boot up, black screen and reset, running out of ideas, any suggestions?

What was the cause of the problem? What was the fix?

Those GeekBench scores sound fine if you are running GeekBench 5.x.x.

If you want to see higher numbers, run GeekBench 4.x.x.

1500MHz RAM = 3000MHz. DDR = Double Data Rate. If you are running 3000MHz RAM, it's reporting correctly.

The following is my i9-9900K with 3500MHz RAM.
View attachment 449281
I used to have issue with sleep. Solved by useing a different DP cable.
Now work like a charm!
https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/15218150

Thank you VERY MUCH!

Hi,

Having a pretty terrible upgrade experience. Have the same hardware as Pastry's build except an 8700K and Nvidia 1080 GPU. Had a perfectly stable Sierra and on trying to upgrade to High Sierra cant boot up. I've tried a clean install and using the Unified High Sierra EFI from page 1 on a fresh UniBeast High Sierra USB installer stick I cant get past half way on the boot up, black screen and reset, running out of ideas, any suggestions?

Please boot in verbose mode and post a picture of where it gets stuck.

This is the most ridiculous bug I've found.
I solved it by accidentally resetting FCPX preferences at startup of the app.
You do that pressing ALT+Command and starting up the app.
Wow - seriously? unreal. I will try that today. Thanks so much!

What kind of Wi-Fi card are you using??

If you are using an Apple Wi-Fi card, you don't need all those fixes for AirPort or Bluetooth.

Beyond that, the EFIs don't really do anything that would affect Wi-Fi.
Hi PastryChef,

I've swapped out the Intel onboard WiFi for a BCM94352Z. I've managed to solve my WiFi problem by only having BrcmFirmwareData.kext, BrcmNonPatchRAM.kext, BrcmPatchRAM.kext in Other, so now as soon as I login I'm connected . I also removed SATA-200-series-unsupported.kext (when I removed this my boot times increased significantly. I'm still having problems with Bluetooth. Nothing is found under System Report>Bluetooth. But, under USB, I have BCM20702A0. I've tried the port limit thing, but I think I'm missing something. With Mojave, Bluetooth and Wifi worked out the box.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-02-11 at 23.49.43.png
    Screenshot 2020-02-11 at 23.49.43.png
    31.4 KB · Views: 52
  • EFI.zip
    36.7 MB · Views: 140
Back