Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Well, not to be too contradictory, I have been using OCquirks and FwRuntimeServices on my X299 system and I used to have, with AptioMemoryFix, every once in a while, a boot failure. Annoying, but a quick reset and it booted the next go round. In the three or four weeks I've been using OC and FwRun, no boot failures at all...never....so go figure. Boots about 1-2 seconds faster, too.

Was that 80% issue booting on your Z390 or Z370 or both? Just curious.....I have to say I am so glad I never went down the Z390 road with my Z370 system....my Z370 system has been rock solid (much more so than the X299 systems I've worked on, although they've been okay), and so stable.....

80% on Z390. Booting consistency can be improved by disabling IGPU which may explain why it's good on X299. No IGPUs to speak of...

Resetting sometimes gets it to boot correctly... Sometimes requires several resets... This can get quite annoying when contending with a motherboard that won't allow the RAM to run at its XMP profile and causes random freezing. The lack of native NVRAM means no kernel panic logs on reboot so it took a bit of guess work before I figured out what was going on..

My Z370 has never experienced boot failures of that nature. Booting has always been consistent once I put together a working EFI. Same for my old Z170, Q150, H110, Q270, and Q77.

Even my Dell Latitude 3450 laptop was easier to hack and get to run reliably and that says a lot!!

Last edited:
Any of you guys experiencing problems with Magic Mouse 2? I have 2 Magic Mouse 2's, and both of them sometimes become quite jittery. The courser wont really move, or it wont move up and down, but no problems side to side. Buttons and scroll works fine while this is going on, which is why I thought it was the mouse, and bought a new one. Resetting ht bluetooth module does nothing. Switching to another Bluetooth USB dongle did nothing. Happens a few times every day, and it seems like waiting for a minute or two is the only thing I can do. Just asking in here in the hope somebody else may have found a solution... I actually tried deleting some Mouse plist files, and rebooting, but that did nothing for me as well

Any of you guys experiencing problems with Magic Mouse 2? I have 2 Magic Mouse 2's, and both of them sometimes become quite jittery. The courser wont really move, or it wont move up and down, but no problems side to side. Buttons and scroll works fine while this is going on, which is why I thought it was the mouse, and bought a new one. Resetting ht bluetooth module does nothing. Switching to another Bluetooth USB dongle did nothing. Happens a few times every day, and it seems like waiting for a minute or two is the only thing I can do. Just asking in here in the hope somebody else may have found a solution... I actually tried deleting some Mouse plist files, and rebooting, but that did nothing for me as well

I use a Magic Mouse 2 everyday. I never had these issues. It's my favorite mouse of all time.

Yeah, I tried OcQuirks + FWruntimeServices too. This is what gave me about 80% booting consistency on Clover.

Yeah, it appears that Gigabyte motherboards don't handle high RAM speeds well at all. I spent so much time trying to get my 3400MHz RAM to work even close to it's advertised speed and was not able to. The same RAM runs at 3466MHz without issues on my Asus Z370 motherboard. Extremely frustrating.

For me, Z370 is extremely stable and Z390 was not even close.
Gigabyte invested in VRM quality on their Z390 series while cheapening out on other components.
You can actually run an i9-9900K on the Z390 UD that has a 10 phase VRM.
To make RAM run on Gigabyte boards manually rising the timings helps most often.

You have to set WiFi to use the 5.0GHz network otherwise there are interference between Bluetooth and WiFi.

Yeah, I tried OcQuirks + FWruntimeServices too. This is what gave me about 80% booting consistency on Clover.
Can these drivers be run on Clover as well?

Gigabyte invested in VRM quality on their Z390 serie while cheapening out on other components.
You can actually run an i9 9900K on the Z390 UD that has a 10 phase VRM.
To make RAM run on Gigabyte boards manually rising the timings helps most often.

Yes, the VRM was good. My 9900K was running great on it. But I was never able to get the RAM stable on anything except with XMP disable and RAM speeds at 2400MHz. Adjusting timings and voltage didn't help at all.

Also, when adjusting timings, the RAM behaved erratically. For example, if I manually set 3200MHz-16-18-18-38, it would sometimes perform like its set to 2133MHz. Or, the RAM would seemingly work correctly at my settings when the system first boots up, but, as the system stays up and running, the RAM speed would steadily decrease until the system eventually freezes.

I would run GeekBench when the system first reboots and RAM speeds would be in the mid-9000s. This score would steadily decrease as system uptime increase. By about day 2-3, GeekBench scores would go all the way down to about the mid to upper-8000s. That's if the system hasn't frozen by then.

Can these drivers be run on Clover as well?

Yes, those are meant for use with Clover. They are Aptio fix components from the OpenCore bootloader.

You have to set WiFi to use the 5.0GHz network otherwise there is interference between Bluetooth and WiFi.

I don't have WiFi on the machine. But I've just changed the channel on the access point from channel 1 to channel 11 on 2.4 GHz, and the mouse is much more fluid now. Thank you for mentioning this - I would have never guessed

Back