Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Tested in stock (without AVX - prime95 WINDOWS). When loaded, it resets frequencies from 4.8 to 4.1. In the program "Intel Extreme Tuning Utilities" shows the parameter POWER LIMIT THROTTLING. But in the beginning it runs prime95 at full 48-49 and fan speeds 1400 RPM (Noctua NH-D15S x2 fan). I can test forever, temperature 60 degrees

After resetting the BIOS, reboots stopped. And the problems were in stock

60C is fantastic for a 4.9GHz overclock. I've never managed to get my CPU that cool under load. If you are getting 60C, then heat is not the problem.

The following guide will show you the settings to remove power limiters:

However, if your system is crashing with no overclocks, then something else is wrong.

60C is fantastic for a 4.9GHz overclock. I've never managed to get my CPU that cool under load. If you are getting 60C, then heat is not the problem.

The following guide will show you the settings to remove power limiters:

However, if your system is crashing with no overclocks, then something else is wrong.
60 degrees is in stock and when resetting frequencies from 4.9 to 4.1 - Prime95 (4.9 = 30 sec 4.1 = all the time)
After bearing the BIOS, reboots stopped.
Is there BIOS settings (profile) you can send me?
You've got Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (Wi-Fi AC)

60 degrees is in stock and when resetting frequencies from 4.9 to 4.1 - Prime95 (4.9 = 30 sec 4.1 = all the time)
After bearing the BIOS, reboots stopped.
Is there BIOS settings (profile) you can send me?
You've got Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (Wi-Fi AC)

I don't know any way to export the BIOS settings. Also, my CPU has been delidded and will behave differently from yours.

Just follow the video. My settings are based on that.
The differences between my settings and his are:
I have AVX offset 0.
I have LLC Level 5.
I have manual voltage set to 1.320.

Last edited:
I don't know any way to export the BIOS settings. Also, my CPU has been delidded and will behave differently from yours.

I have AVX offset 0.
I have LLC Level 5.
BIOS - Tool - ASUS User profile - Load/Save Profile from/to USB Drive - Hotkey (Ctrl+F2) - Name (Asus Z370 i9...) - OK

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 232
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 290
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 270

I have AVX offset 0.
I have LLC Level 5.
I just compare your settings and mine. And that I will make my profile.

BIOS - Tool - ASUS User profile - Load/Save Profile from/to USB Drive - Hotkey (Ctrl+F2) - Name (Asus Z370 i9...) - OK

Here you go.

Please report the temps you see when using these settings.

Attachments

• Asus Z370G_setting.txt
    23.1 KB · Views: 180
  • Asus Z370G.CMO.zip
    1.8 KB · Views: 230
Hackintosh Current Events

For those who are unaware, there's a new bootloader in town called OpenCore. Development of this bootloader has advanced at an incredibly rapid pace and it appears that it will overtake Clover as the de facto standard for hackintoshing. vit9696 (developer of Lilu, WhateverGreen, AppleALC, and many more) has stated that he and his team "will no longer perform Clover compatibility release validation for our products".

That being said, I've started testing OpenCore and everything appears to be running fine on this build. For those of you who want to try it out, I've attached an experimental EFI folder. Again, this is an alpha release, so things can go wrong.

This EFI folder is configured as:
  • iMacPro1,1 system definition.
  • All internal USB 2 headers disabled.
  • Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card using M.2 slot.
  • Warning! I have not yet tested FileVault. FileVault working with Alpha 2.
  • Test and works with Catalina Public Beta 5.

To use:
  1. Open the config.plist with Xcode or Plist Edit Pro.
  2. Go to the PlatformInfo section.
  3. Look for all the fields that say "fill-in" and fill in your Serial, Board Serial, UUID, or ROM info. (ROM is your network interface EN0 MAC address.)

Here is a great detailed guide to configuring OpenCore:

Update August 14, 2019:
Switched to AppleSupportPkg drivers for FileVault support.
Cleaned up Device Properties.
Correct NVRAM boot-args.
Everything has been running stable enough that I feel it's safe to upgrade it to beta status.

Attachments

• OpenCore Z370G Alpha 1.zip
    22.1 MB · Views: 252
  • OpenCore Z370G Alpha 2.zip
    22.7 MB · Views: 251
  • OpenCore Z370G Beta 1.zip
    22.7 MB · Views: 307
Last edited:
A couple of questions:
So using OpenCore as our main bootloader = a vanilla Hackintosh install?

Unrelated:
Have you ever seen anyone reporting a dead Vega GPU? Mine stopped working, the White VGA LED on the z370-G lights up, turning the system fully off would sometimes fix it until not even that was enough, I flashed the bios and updated it, still nothing... Since I dont have another desktop to test the GPU I sent it to the store to know if it's dead or if somehow my MB has a problem. Just wondering if you ever saw anyone with a similar issue before.

I have specific software that keeps tracks of system info, specifically my CPU clock speed, I think it uses the data from systeminformation, for some reason my clock speed is sometimes detected as 3697Mhz and other times as 3696Mhz, any idea what could cause that 1Mhz variation? My system is overclocked so none of those are my true clock. Maybe filling in the CPU info in Clover-Configurator could help, can you tell me the settings for an 8700k? Other than the frequency i have no idea what to write in the fields.

A couple of questions:
So using OpenCore as our main bootloader = a vanilla Hackintosh install?

Unrelated:
Have you ever seen anyone reporting a dead Vega GPU? Mine stopped working, the White VGA LED on the z370-G lights up, turning the system fully off would sometimes fix it until not even that was enough, I flashed the bios and updated it, still nothing... Since I dont have another desktop to test the GPU I sent it to the store to know if it's dead or if somehow my MB has a problem. Just wondering if you ever saw anyone with a similar issue before.

I have specific software that keeps tracks of system info, specifically my CPU clock speed, I think it uses the data from systeminformation, for some reason my clock speed is sometimes detected as 3697Mhz and other times as 3696Mhz, any idea what could cause that 1Mhz variation? My system is overclocked so none of those are my true clock. Maybe filling in the CPU info in Clover-Configurator could help, can you tell me the settings for an 8700k? Other than the frequency i have no idea what to write in the fields.

If by vanilla, you mean having kexts injected by the bootloader, I've been doing that since day 1 on this build. I never saw any advantage to installing kexts to /Library/Extensions/ and found it to be a PITA when updating or testing things.

No, I personally don't know anyone with a dead Vega, but I'm sure it happens. I've had to RMA two Radeon VIIs myself.

With my dead Radeon VII, it doesn't display anything on power up. It also prevents the bootloader or operating system from loading. I know because there's no disk activity.

I don't know why there's a difference but I wouldn't worry about 1MHz. I don't know what to enter in Clover for overclocking. I've never done it.

Back