Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Thanks all! Before I send it back, maybe I should try to update. Question now is if it doesn’t post, how could I update it. I’m guessing removing the processor wouldn’t work. I have a 7700K from the last build but don’t think that’s compatible.

Yes. P1LGRIM is absolutely correct. I completely forgot that a BIOS update may be needed to add Intel 9th gen CPU support.

You would need to use an 8th gen CPU to update the BIOS.

Yes. P1LGRIM is absolutely correct. I completely forgot that a BIOS update may be needed to add Intel 9th gen CPU support.

You would need to use an 8th gen CPU to update the BIOS.

Thank you! The info here is a big help. Saw your 8800K in your first version and ordered that. Should arrive tonight and hopefully get things going.

Upgraded the firmware on the Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 using a Windows 10 computer (did not work through a VMWare Fusion VM) and was able to boot up on it afterwards :)
Thanks for the help

Thank you! The info here is a big help. Saw your 8800K in your first version and ordered that. Should arrive tonight and hopefully get things going.

New 8700K CPU arrived and installed. Ugg, same issue. Computer powers up, fans spin, but red CPU light stays on and no video appears— black screen. System restarts a few seconds later. Black screen. Tried moving RAM again, resetting BIOS, nothing. Power connections are correct and no visible bent pins.

So not sure what to do. I can’t find any new versions of this board. I‘d rather not try a fourth order through Amazon... hate used motherboards because you have no idea what happened to them or why they were returned.

I’m reading the Z390 series has a few issues. Sleep looks problematic. And I need a board that allows NVMe and all 6 SATA ports at the same time.
The biggest concern is that I don’t want to trade the quirks of my old system for the quirks of a new one. The whole point in this upgrade was to use Pastry’s build which has a solid reputation and looks really reliable. If I inherit sleep and USB problems, I would rather just stay with my old version.

If you were in my shoes, what would you do? Try a forth time for used? Get a newer Z390 motherboard? Drink heavily?

I don’t mind spending money for good hardware. And I am considering a full iMac... but it’s 2x the price for half the features.

As always, thank you for all your good advice. This group has been amazing!

New 8700K CPU arrived and installed. Ugg, same issue. Computer powers up, fans spin, but red CPU light stays on and no video appears— black screen. System restarts a few seconds later. Black screen. Tried moving RAM again, resetting BIOS, nothing. Power connections are correct and no visible bent pins.

So not sure what to do. I can’t find any new versions of this board. I‘d rather not try a fourth order through Amazon... hate used motherboards because you have no idea what happened to them or why they were returned.

I’m reading the Z390 series has a few issues. Sleep looks problematic. And I need a board that allows NVMe and all 6 SATA ports at the same time.
The biggest concern is that I don’t want to trade the quirks of my old system for the quirks of a new one. The whole point in this upgrade was to use Pastry’s build which has a solid reputation and looks really reliable. If I inherit sleep and USB problems, I would rather just stay with my old version.

If you were in my shoes, what would you do? Try a forth time for used? Get a newer Z390 motherboard? Drink heavily?

I don’t mind spending money for good hardware. And I am considering a full iMac... but it’s 2x the price for half the features.

As always, thank you for all your good advice. This group has been amazing!

As I've stated, I tried a Z390 motherboard a while back (it's still sitting in my closet) and hated it. I did get macOS installed and working but it was nowhere near as "Mac-like" as with my Z370 motherboard.

Recently, vit9696 (developer of AptioMemoryFix, Lilu, AppleALC, WhateverGreen, VirtualSMC, and many more) had this to say about Z390 NVRAM:
Screen Shot 2019-07-04 at 6.30.47 AM.png

Source:https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/331381-aptiomemoryfix/?page=20&tab=comments#comment-2680116

If used motherboards aren't panning out, maybe a used pre-built system like a Dell XPS 8930 might be better...

As I've stated, I tried a Z390 motherboard a while back (it's still sitting in my closet) and hated it. I did get macOS installed and working but it was nowhere near as "Mac-like" as with my Z370 motherboard.

Recently, vit9696 (developer of AptioMemoryFix, Lilu, AppleALC, WhateverGreen, VirtualSMC, and many more) had this to say about Z390 NVRAM:
View attachment 416025
Source:https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/331381-aptiomemoryfix/?page=20&tab=comments#comment-2680116

If used motherboards aren't panning out, maybe a used pre-built system like a Dell XPS 8930 might be better...
MacMan had similar problems with his Z390 build but solved them. See

MacMan had similar problems with his Z390 build but solved them. See

Yeah, I know the problems can be solved, but, in my opinion, it's kludgy, not very elegant... I didn't like. Returned to Z370 and everything works great.

I made some changes to help improve the air flow in my case... I changed from a case that has 2x 120mm fans in front to 1x 180mm fan in front. This made a dramatic difference in the temperature of everything. I guess size does matter...

IMG_9866.jpg IMG_9864.jpg

Back