Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

boot loop.... today I saw that the new Multibeast came out for 10.14.5. One of the things I noted was that Clover had been updated from the version I was running (4920 -> 4934) so I ran Clover Configurator, and had it update to 4934.
Now my machine is stuck in a boot loop. Goes thru the hardware bios screen and launches clover well enough, but when it tries to boot my main drive, it just reboots the machine. I have it plenty of cycles of this. Powered off/on... but no luck.

Any suggestions on how to best approach this problem?

boot loop.... today I saw that the new Multibeast came out for 10.14.5. One of the things I noted was that Clover had been updated from the version I was running (4920 -> 4934) so I ran Clover Configurator, and had it update to 4934.
Now my machine is stuck in a boot loop. Goes thru the hardware bios screen and launches clover well enough, but when it tries to boot my main drive, it just reboots the machine. I have it plenty of cycles of this. Powered off/on... but no luck.

Any suggestions on how to best approach this problem?

Boot from USB flash drive.
Fix the EFI folder on your main system drive.
Delete any hackintosh kexts you installed to /Library/Extensions/.

Thanks. The only change I made was to update Clover. I didn't change anything else.
When you say"fix EFI folder" would just drag n drop replacing it in full from a working backup do the trick, or are you suggesting running the new multibeast on it? I don't understand the intricacies of Clover, but I thought that merely updating it via Clover configurator would be safe and work. (Obviously there is more to it than that, however.)

later: sorry - I should not have taken your time. I can play with it, and come back if there are issues...

Last edited:
Thanks. The only change I made was to update Clover. I didn't change anything else.
When you say"fix EFI folder" would just drag n drop replacing it in full from a working backup do the trick, or are you suggesting running the new multibeast on it? I don't understand the intricacies of Clover, but I thought that merely updating it via Clover configurator would be safe and work. (Obviously there is more to it than that, however.)

Yes, replacing it with a working backup is all you have to do.

If you are following my build, don't use MultiBeast. You don't want to accidentally install stuff to /Library/Extensions/. Use the Clover installer from SourceForge instead. You can also check the updates I make to post #1. I regularly update my EFI folder with the latest Clover and necessary kexts.

I'm up again. I moved the MultiBeast-installed kexts from /library/extension to the efi "other" folder. Also copied over my entire previous SIMBIOS to the "new" config.plist.
The only thing new I saw in the config.plist is an entry that does a "rename HDAS to HDEF". Have no idea what that is, but will just leave it unless you advise otherwise.

I used Clover Configurator to update Clover the first time; MultiBeast to update it the second time... and are you indicating that there is a third tool on SourceForge to also do an update/install of Clover? If so, could you provide the URL, please?

Finally, here's the only issue so far: restart/reboot get to the black screen with the little spinning wagon wheel... which spins about twice, and then freezes. I have to manually reboot or shutdown at that point.

Last edited:
I'm up again. I moved the MultiBeast-installed kexts from /library/extension to the efi "other" folder. Also copied over my entire previous SIMBIOS to the "new" config.plist.
The only thing new I saw in the config.plist is an entry that does a "rename HDAS to HDEF". Have no idea what that is, but will just leave it unless you advise otherwise.

I used Clover Configurator to update Clover the first time; MultiBeast to update it the second time... and are you indicating that there is a third tool on SourceForge to also do an update/install of Clover? If so, could you provide the URL, please?

Finally, here's the only issue so far: restart/reboot get to the black screen with the little spinning wagon wheel... which spins about twice, and then freezes. I have to manually reboot or shutdown at that point.

Did you have a complete backup of your working EFI folder? I always keep a backup on a USB flash drive in the event of an emergency. If you have this, just replace the entire EFI folder on your main system drive with your backup.

Then, if you want to update Clover, just download the Clover installer from here. I believe Clover configurator downloads it from the same source.

The HDAS to HDEF rename is fine. Nothing to worry about.

I'm having an issue with sleep on a Asus Rog Strix Z370-I, i7-8700, DW1560.
In short it's the Bluetooth. Once disabled, the PC sleeps. Enabled and the PC bounces back after attempting to sleep.
The module is the DW1560. I've already installed other modules like this and never had an issue.
The USB SSDT I made specifies for the Bluetooth USB, port HS14 255 (internal).
Everything works o this build.
Any idea how to solve this?
Could it be the module itself being faulty?
Thanks

I'm having an issue with sleep on a Asus Rog Strix Z370-I, i7-8700, DW1560.
In short it's the Bluetooth. Once disabled, the PC sleeps. Enabled and the PC bounces back after attempting to sleep.
The module is the DW1560. I've already installed other modules like this and never had an issue.
The USB SSDT I made specifies for the Bluetooth USB, port HS14 255 (internal).
Everything works o this build.
Any idea how to solve this?
Could it be the module itself being faulty?
Thanks

I did have a BCM94360CS2 that was defective and prevented sleep when Bluetooth was connected to USB. Once I disconnected the USB, sleep worked great. Wi-Fi was never an issue with that card. The seller sent me a replacement card and it worked perfectly in the exact same computer. So, yes, it can happen.

That being said, please post your EFI folder so I can have a look and see if I see any obvious issues.

I did have a BCM94360CS2 that was defective and prevented sleep when Bluetooth was connected to USB. Once I disconnected the USB, sleep worked great. Wi-Fi was never an issue with that card. The seller sent me a replacement card and it worked perfectly in the exact same computer. So, yes, it can happen.

That being said, please post your EFI folder so I can have a look and see if I see any obvious issues.
Thanks a lot for your reply!
I left the PC last night and found it in sleep. At some point the sleep worked.
This morning I realised I hadn't unticked the bluetooth option "Allow bluetooth devices to wake this computer".
Now sleep works (You have no idea how many attempts and test I tried yesterday).
Maybe, I say maybe, that option with this bluetooth module and bluetooth devices was causing the bounce from sleep. Maybe a signal from the mouse during the sleep attempt was registered from the module so it was bouncing.
Now it seems working.
Thanks again!

I have another question. This motherboard with the i7 8700 seems to be consuming loads of power.
On a Asus Prime Z370-A II with the sane CPU I see a power consumption when testing Cinebench of around 93W at 4.3Ghz. This motherboard's consumption is 114W. In both boards Load Line is at Level 2, but I tested Level 1 with no difference. I've seen ASRock motherboard run Cinebench all core for the same CPU with 85W.
This motherboard doesn't have a bios setting for the "Typical", "Worst Case Scenario" though.
I offset the volts to - 0.040 BUT the improvement is really marginal, maybe only 3/4W.
How do I get it to 93W or better BUT without cutting the power settings and decreasing clock speed?
Do I need to rite to Asus?
Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
Back