Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

@pastrychef - I upgraded to the last set of kexts and upgraded to 10.14.4 successfully however I noticed the fans of AMD R580 8GB do not spin constantly which means that every now and then, they spin fast for 20secs which frankly is a bit annoying.
I did not observe this behaviour when I was on 10.14.3, previous Chameleon version and previous kext versions - to refer to you version of kext package, that was v4.5.1. I see this on 4.5.3.

Am I the only one seeing (hearing to be correct) this behaviour with the AMD GPU?

I haven't had any issues with the fan on my Vega.

Yes, there are success stories on this forum too. Looks like 10.14.5 will be a great update.

I should also note that several users who have Vegas have reported there is no need for VGTab kexts or other driver manipulation utilities on 10.14.5. Vegas are now natively supported and no additional drivers are needed (unless you want to - but I don't. I'll take native drivers anytime). Now everybody should take this with a grain of salt - right now, the sample size is small, but if this is true, this is really a good reason to celebrate.

I think I'm going to sign up for the 10.14.5 beta....:thumbup:

@pastrychef - I upgraded to the last set of kexts and upgraded to 10.14.4 successfully however I noticed the fans of AMD R580 8GB do not spin constantly which means that every now and then, they spin fast for 20secs which frankly is a bit annoying.
I did not observe this behaviour when I was on 10.14.3, previous Chameleon version and previous kext versions - to refer to you version of kext package, that was v4.5.1. I see this on 4.5.3.

Am I the only one seeing (hearing to be correct) this behaviour with the AMD GPU?

I noticed the same thing after the update but they seem to have settled down. Have yours?

I can confirm that 10.14.5 Public Beta 1 works flawlessly with a Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro+ out of the box (no random Fan up-spin or clock/p-state raises). Previously I was using pastrychef's EFI Folder with a custom PowerPlayTable (directly injected in the config.plist/no VGTab). With 10.14.5 (Public Beta 1) this injection is no longer necessary, so pastrychef's EFI without VGTab/Injection is sufficient on the GPU side. I have ordered a Radeon VII and will report back on the results.

EDIT: I can now also confirm that undervolting is working with Vega64 under 10.15.1 Beta 1!

Last edited:
I noticed the same thing after the update but they seem to have settled down. Have yours?

No. I hear the GPU fans spinning faster for 10-20 seconds consistently every few minutes.
It does not even look like it is really to load as it happens without any activity.

Last edited:
I haven't had any issues with the fan on my Vega.
The behavior on my Sapphire RX 580 has been consistent without regard to update. The fans only spin up when the CPU temp reaches 48c and then stops when the temp drops to 43c. When running Unigene Valley, the fans run constantly with temp at 51c. I cannot hear the fans spinning unless I put my ear next to the fans.

The behavior on my Sapphire RX 580 has been consistent without regard to update. The fans only spin up when the CPU temp reaches 48c and then stops when the temp drops to 43c. When running Unigene Valley, the fans run constantly with temp at 51c. I cannot hear the fans spinning unless I put my ear next to the fans.

Just tested 10.14.5 Beta 1 on one of my hacks, and yes, it works! I deleted the Vega 64 PPTable injection driver that I put in my config.plist, and yes, it works! My Vega 64 works better than ever before, and the fans work better than I ever got them to work with VGTab.

Notice
  • Updated to 10.14.5 beta 1 (18F96h)
  • Updated Clover to r4918 beta
  • SMBIOS set to iMac19,1
Processor is still marked as Unknown, same time on boot-up time, more updates will follow.

Notice
  • Updated to 10.14.5 beta 1 (18F96h)
  • Updated Clover to r4918 beta
  • SMBIOS set to iMac19,1
Processor is still marked as Unknown, same time on boot-up time, more updates will follow.

I'm testing on the special iMac19,x build of macOS 10.14.4 and CPU still shows as "unknown".

Someone said that the real iMac19,1 uses i9-9900KF which I believe is the version of the 9900 that doesn't have IGPU so that may explain why a normal 9900K is still identified as "unknown".

Screen Shot 2019-04-04 at 2.52.58 PM.png

Someone said that the real iMac19,1 uses i9-9900KF which I believe is the version of the 9900 that doesn't have IGPU so that may explain why a normal 9900K is still identified as "unknown".

Interesting. I wonder since they're using the KF model, there will be no need to enable iGPU and operate in headless mode if using i9-9900K paired with a Vega? I wonder if someone has an ioreg dump of one of these new iMacs floating around to check.

Back