Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

I was able to snag a MSI Radeon RX Vega 56 Air Boost 8G OC on NewEgg the other day for $289.99 (plus $30 MIR). @pastrychef, should I anticipate any snafus while swapping out my RX 580? My EFI folder is almost identical to yours. Are there still fan issues where the VGTab utility needs to be used?

Nope. Just swap out the video card. I never had issues with VGTab. It works great.

@pastrychef Odd question do you secure your video card or is it just hanging out of the port? Outside of the screws on the back of the case. Also could you send me the BIOS from your card?

My video card is held in place by the PCI-e slot and the case screws for PCI-e cards. Nothing out of the ordinary.

I just have the stock firmware on my Vega. I never updated/flashed to anything else. You can find it here.

Yes. I have it enabled. Never had an issue.

But?!?
BIOS settings:​
Set everything to default. Then set the following:​
  • Advanced/CPU Configuration/Intel Virtualization Technology - Enabled
  • Advanced/System Agent (SA) Configuration/VT-d - Disabled
  • Advanced/System Agent (SA) Configuration/Graphics Configuration/Primary Display - PCIE (This will not be available if you are only using UHD 630.)
  • Advanced/System Agent (SA) Configuration/Graphics Configuration/iGPU Multi-Monitor - Enabled (This will not be available if you are only using UHD 630.)
  • Advanced/System Agent (SA) Configuration/Graphics Configuration/RC6(Render Standby) - Enabled
  • Advanced/System Agent (SA) Configuration/Graphics Configuration/DVMT Pre-Allocated - 192M (64M should also work)
  • Advanced/USB Configuration/Legacy USB Support - Enabled
  • Advanced/USB Configuration/USB Keyboard and Mouse Simulator - Disabled
  • Boot/CSM (Compatibility Support Module)/ Launch CSM - Enabled (Updated January 22, 2018: I originally used Disabled because it would allow Clover to boot in to the monitor's native resolution. Since then, I have found that Enabling CSM gives better compatibility with devices such as AQC107 and multi monitor support albeit at the loss of native resolution for the Clover boot menu. Bottom line, try both and use the one that works best with your hardware.)
  • Boot/Secure Boot/ OS Type - Other OS
  • (Optional)Ai Tweaker/Ai Overclock Tuner - XMP
Do you mean you never had any issue with Vt-D enabled on this Rig? Or with any other build (where you have Vt-d enabled as well).
I don't know what Vt-d does or why it can be useful but every guide I could read strongly advises to disable it. Why is that?

Maybe you could tell me a bit more.

Tx
-a-

But?!?

Do you mean you never had any issue with Vt-D enabled on this Rig? Or with any other build (where you have Vt-d enabled as well).
I don't know what Vt-d does or why it can be useful but every guide I could read strongly advises to disable it. Why is that?

Tx
-a-

Enabling VT-d enables direct I/O for virtualization. It's not used in macOS.

I don't know why all guides seem to recommend disabling it. Ask the guys who wrote the guides.

For those fans who have the Z370-A (there aren't many of you out there, but there are a few), a new BIOS is out: 1802, and yes, it does restore the ability to choose your graphics boot device (yay!).

Also, I've been testing Clover 4895, and it seems pretty solid and a bit faster than previous versions.....

But?!?

Tx
-a-

macOS will not use your IGPU until you spoof 8th gen. Try it. It works.

When address the USB 15 port limit, Whatever renames were necessary when you began the process of port discovery should be kept i your config.plist afterwards.

If you are running Mojave, you can try my latest EFI folder from post #1. Just add EmuVariableUefi64.efi to /EFI/CLOVER/drivers54UEFI/. In the config.plist, change to iMac18,1 system definition. You will still need to do the proper USB 15 port limit fix, but everything else should work. Also, if using my EFI folder, get rid of any hackintosh kexts from /Library/Extensions/.

Just coming back to this after quite a long time offline. I updated to Mojave, and used your latest EFI_unified. I use the internal graphics though and I'm getting a lot of display issues, do I have to change anything to not use a Vega? I'm thinking of updating and adding a Vega56 soon but need to keep the machine running until then :)

Just coming back to this after quite a long time offline. I updated to Mojave, and used your latest EFI_unified. I use the internal graphics though and I'm getting a lot of display issues, do I have to change anything to not use a Vega? I'm thinking of updating and adding a Vega56 soon but need to keep the machine running until then :)

In config.plist > SMBIOS, change system definition from iMac18,3 to iMac18,1.

Also, it's best to copy your Serial, Board Serial, and UUID, then paste to the config.plist that is included with the latest EFI folder rather than reuse your old config.plist.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, that looks like a faulty video card to me. Open an RMA request with either the place where you purchased the video card or with Asus. Include the picture.

I have a windows partion on this machine where I'm stress testing (Unigen Heaven) the GPU now, I've let it run for a couple of hours but haven't had any issues strangely. I'll let it run overnight and see if this issue is Mac OS based after all.

Back