Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Doh, I figured it out, it was in my mixer

Is there something special i need to do to make Clover boot from my SSD. Right now it fails and defaults in to bios settings. I feel like i missed a step here.

I will reference the guide and report back. The issue is on boot only.

View attachment 390896

Currently it works, but only since i plugged the DVI connector in after boot.

If the EFI folder on your USB flash drive is working correctly, copy the entire EFI folder to the EFI partition of your SSD.
In BIOS, make sure your SSD is the first boot option.

Keep your USB flash drive in a safe place in the event of an emergency and you need to use it to boot.

If your budget allows, eBay has some really good bargains on used video cards right now. I picked up an RX 560 for another build for $70 and it has been running beautifully. It would probably solve your multi monitor issues without having to do the frame buffer patching.

If the EFI folder on your USB flash drive is working correctly, copy the entire EFI folder to the EFI partition of your SSD.
In BIOS, make sure your SSD is the first boot option.

That worked.

Before i tackle the display issue, i updated to Mojave. I used your newest EFI folder and performed the update. Video is screwy now. (single screen, regardless if the second display is connected or not) When i full screen a program, everything looks fine, but when they are not full screen, the screen is glitchy, i see multiple images, and sections flash. If i open more than 2 or 3 programs, it gets really glitchy. It's hard to use the drop down menus from the top of the screen. I changed the system back to iMac 18,1 (as the update switched it over to 18,3) with no affect.

Is this something i'll also now need to correct with the frame buffer patching? It might be worth buying a GPU at this point, lol.

That worked.

Before i tackle the display issue, i updated to Mojave. I used your newest EFI folder and performed the update. Video is screwy now. (single screen, regardless if the second display is connected or not) When i full screen a program, everything looks fine, but when they are not full screen, the screen is glitchy, i see multiple images, and sections flash. If i open more than 2 or 3 programs, it gets really glitchy. It's hard to use the drop down menus from the top of the screen. I changed the system back to iMac 18,1 (as the update switched it over to 18,3) with no affect.

Is this something i'll also now need to correct with the frame buffer patching? It might be worth buying a GPU at this point, lol.

Changing system definition to iMac18.1 should be enough.

Things to check:
  • Go to System Information to confirm that you are using iMac18,1 system definition.
  • Check About This Mac to make sure the system sees 1536MB for UHD 630.
  • Check in BIOS that you have allocated 64MB or more to IGPU.
  • Check in BIOS that Primary Display is set to IGPU.
  • This may or may not help, but try enabling above 4G encoding.

Hey all,

USB drives seem slow on this, I'm not sure if this is cosmetic or if I'm being a noob, but should USB 3 external drives be running at 480?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-03-04 at 09.22.36.png
    Screenshot 2019-03-04 at 09.22.36.png
    98.8 KB · Views: 75
Hey all,

USB drives seem slow on this, I'm not sure if this is cosmetic or if I'm being a noob, but should USB 3 external drives be running at 480?

No, of course not. As you can see below, my USB 3 flash drive appears as "5 Gb/s".

Do one of the "proper" USB 15 port limit patches. That can solve lots of little issues.

Hi pastrychef,

I've been getting sporadic freezes with artifacts displayed on my screen.

Was wondering if this is something you've seen before? General research would conclude this is a hardware issue (gpu failure?), this would surprise me as this is a month old build.

I'm running an i7 8700 (non K), Z370-G and Asus Strix OC RX 580 with your efi folder (updated to the latest kexts versions).

I've updated my Bios and disabled Asus multicore enhancement, this did not seem to help (sugestion from another user).

Thanks for your time and help!

Attachments

• displayartifacts.jpeg
    displayartifacts.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 78
Hi pastrychef,

I've been getting sporadic freezes with artifacts displayed on my screen.

Was wondering if this is something you've seen before? General research would conclude this is a hardware issue (gpu failure?), this would surprise me as this is a month old build.

I'm running an i7 8700 (non K), Z370-G and Asus Strix OC RX 580 with your efi folder (updated to the latest kexts versions).

I've updated my Bios and disabled Asus multicore enhancement, this did not seem to help (sugestion from another user).

Thanks for your time and help!

Unfortunately, that looks like a faulty video card to me. Open an RMA request with either the place where you purchased the video card or with Asus. Include the picture.

If you are doing it my way, it's very easy...
  1. Create USB installer.
  2. Copy my EFI folder to the EFI partition of the USB installer.
  3. Install macOS.
  4. Copy my EFI folder to the EFI partition of your main system drive.
  5. Done.
I don't know how much easier I can make it...

Hmm... I did exactly as mentioned above, cleaned the disk (AFS), and made a new install, but when I get to, what I think is the login screen, I get a totally distorted screen, with no possibility to read what's on the screen. I used the Intel 630 EFI folder you uploaded and set all BIOS settings as you described. I mounted the EFI folder of my Unibeast USB installer on my MacBook Air, and replaced the EFI folder with the "630 EFI" folder you refer to in your first post.

(In your guide you state, that when you only have the onboard GPU, it's not possible to choose PCIE GPU in the BIOS. It is on my BIOS though?)

I noticed that the USB fix file in your EFI folder has an "x" in the name - is that to be renamed? Also. There's are no USB port exclusions in the config file in the "630 EFI" folder. Is that on purpose?

Can I boot up somehow into the Mojave installation with a "default" EFI folder, not loading any drivers, so I don't have to install Mojave all over again?

Thanks!

EDIT: If I hit a key on the distorted screen, the screen blinks grey?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-03-05 at 17.11.41.png
    Screenshot 2019-03-05 at 17.11.41.png
    657 KB · Views: 69
Hmm... I did exactly as mentioned above, cleaned the disk (AFS), and made a new install, but when I get to, what I think is the login screen, I get a totally distorted screen, with no possibility to read what's on the screen. I used the Intel 630 EFI folder you uploaded and set all BIOS settings as you described. I mounted the EFI folder of my Unibeast USB installer on my MacBook Air, and replaced the EFI folder with the "630 EFI" folder you refer to in your first post.

(In your guide you state, that when you only have the onboard GPU, it's not possible to choose PCIE GPU in the BIOS. It is on my BIOS though?)

I noticed that the USB fix file in your EFI folder has an "x" in the name - is that to be renamed? Also. There's are no USB port exclusions in the config file in the "630 EFI" folder. Is that on purpose?

Can I boot up somehow into the Mojave installation with a "default" EFI folder, not loading any drivers, so I don't have to install Mojave all over again?

Thanks!

No. The SSDT included in the EFI folder is used for addressing the 15 port limit. It is for USB power injection. You don't need to mess with that at all. You will need to download the SSDT-USB.aml file and install separately.

If you are installing Mojave, use the latest EFI folder. Remember to change the system definition to iMac18,1.

If I use any SMBIOS higher than 14.x I get some funky screen latency/lag. It disappears when going down in SMBIOS. Does the SMBIOS has any functional value?

Back