Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

hmmm..link to cheaper card? And possibly a link to great antennas?

I'm building this for my father's 60th birthday...I would love to give him a computer that works in entirety.

BTW, Wow, thank you so much for your words and advice. I am 1) ALWAYS open to criticism. 2) New here, so I might not know all the right etiquette this particular board has but I am open and willing. and 3) very appreciative of suggestions.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Broadcom-B...h=item214a1d2953:g:FkgAAOSwc1Zbxf0S:rk:2:pf:0

I don't know which antennas work well, I picked up some very short antennas for convenience but reception is not the best. My router is very close to my computer so reception was not an issue for me.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Broadcom-B...h=item214a1d2953:g:FkgAAOSwc1Zbxf0S:rk:2:pf:0

I don't know which antennas work well, I picked up some very short antennas for convenience but reception is not the best. My router is very close to my computer so reception was not an issue for me.
Rock on. I would follow post #40 but it says shipping from china... so i'm assuming i'd be waiting quite a while and I'd like to get this done by next weekend.

(I will probably still order it if this doesnt work out).

I'll take pictures of everything for other guys too...so it can be a fun little learning session for all whom wish to learn.

edit: the card that you linked me to looks like the connection is different. It looks like it may need an adaptor... thoughts?

982C6EF8-55DF-4374-8C0C-0FAE93579459.jpeg
961FF6AC-F4CB-423B-B400-A40D83D05D16.jpeg

Rock on. I would follow post #40 but it says shipping from china... so i'm assuming i'd be waiting quite a while and I'd like to get this done by next weekend.

(I will probably still order it if this doesnt work out).

I'll take pictures of everything for other guys too...so it can be a fun little learning session for all whom wish to learn.

edit: the card that you linked me to looks like the connection is different. It looks like it may need an adaptor... thoughts?

There are US based sellers:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CY-BCM9432...=item23ae073136:g:zzgAAOSwiE1b3FVe:rk:28:pf:0
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AIRPORT-BL...=item41cd9cc6e1:g:T-QAAOSwR29ZDo0E:rk:21:pf:0

You don't need to separate your texts posts from your pictures. They can be all in a single post.

The connector is M.2. No adaptor is needed.

I also have the Dell UP2715K and a Vega 64. I spent the entire night trying to get it to work, was not easy, not sure what I did or if I can replicate it. it's got something to do with vegaGraphicsfixup.kext . And might be something else, I don't remember anymore, it was late I was trying a hundred things at the same time trying to make it work. It works, fans also work, USB works. I've attached my clover directory. Replace yours with mine and try it out, it should work. Just add your serials numbers in SMBIOS section where I marked it as REMOVED.

Good luck

Yes. Thank you for that, alaman64!

Looks like the fix is just to add one kext to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/.

Kext can be found here:

I can confirm that the VegaGrahpicsFixup.kext does the trick for me! Thank you guys really much for the help and this amazing thread! Keep on going!

EDIT: One important thing to note: alman's/mine clover folder DOES NOT contain WhatEverGreen, as this causes 5k/Multispan to not work! I have attached my Clover folder for people trying to use 5K with dual DP monitors and Vega GPU.

Attachments

• CLOVER_5K_VEGA.zip
    13 MB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Hello Pastrychef,

First I'd like to thank you for your great thread and all the work you've done to simplify the task of big noobs like me.
My build is composed of a i7-8700K, ASUS Z370E, 32GB of Ballistix DDR4 RAM, Cooler Master 240, Corsair RM750X PSU.
I followed your guide and used your EFI folder as a working basis.
I only use the Intel graphics and had the flickering screen issue, I then changed the SMBIOS to 18,1 and that solved the issue at the time. With the 10.14.1 update. I had boot issue as the update seem to refuse the 18.1 SMBIOS. During boot with Apple logo, it get stuck in the middle and don't boot.
Using my stick I tried different SMBIOS setting and saw on this thread that reverting to 14.2 was working, which I did. I have no flicker but have a purple tint on the image. For info I use an old screen through HDMI cable.
Also before having the purple color issue, I tried to fix graphics on 18.3 SMBIOS trying a fix from another thread that was just mentioning to repair kext permissions using kext utility. I think the purple issue started from there.
Regarding the long experience you seem to have, did you ever encountered this issue, and would you have any suggestion of a fix for this? Would greatly appreciate your help on this.
Thanks

Hello Pastrychef,

First I'd like to thank you for your great thread and all the work you've done to simplify the task of big noobs like me.
My build is composed of a i7-8700K, ASUS Z370E, 32GB of Ballistix DDR4 RAM, Cooler Master 240, Corsair RM750X PSU.
I followed your guide and used your EFI folder as a working basis.
I only use the Intel graphics and had the flickering screen issue, I then changed the SMBIOS to 18,1 and that solved the issue at the time. With the 10.14.1 update. I had boot issue as the update seem to refuse the 18.1 SMBIOS. During boot with Apple logo, it get stuck in the middle and don't boot.
Using my stick I tried different SMBIOS setting and saw on this thread that reverting to 14.2 was working, which I did. I have no flicker but have a purple tint on the image. For info I use an old screen through HDMI cable.
Also before having the purple color issue, I tried to fix graphics on 18.3 SMBIOS trying a fix from another thread that was just mentioning to repair kext permissions using kext utility. I think the purple issue started from there.
Regarding the long experience you seem to have, did you ever encountered this issue, and would you have any suggestion of a fix for this? Would greatly appreciate your help on this.
Thanks

You can try changing the system definition back to iMac18,1 or you can try the following patch:
https://gist.github.com/ejdyksen/8302862

I've never used that patch so I don't know how well it works.

For owners of UHD630 this version of 'Update # 23 Mojave EFI folder to r4.5.1' works for me including BOARD-ID to 18.1 without changing anything.

You can try changing the system definition back to iMac18,1 or you can try the following patch:
https://gist.github.com/ejdyksen/8302862

I've never used that patch so I don't know how well it works.
Thank you very much. I will try to achieve this. In the meantime using your updated efi using 14.2 smbios fixed everything. I even have sleep and shutdown working. Performances are also very good. I think ill leave it like that as it works for me, hoping it lasts.
Thank you very much for your help

Back