Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

I'm not sure... I think that on my BIOS, there is a setting to disable M.2. Try looking for BIOS settings to enable/disable devices.

I got it working!
We basically just have to use nvme=-1 in boot args of clover, it will disable any nvme drives while booting!

Thanks a lot!

My Vega 64 now finally does not spin the fan when in idle, YAY!!

Acked!

Code:
ioreg -l |grep \"PerformanceStatistics\" | cut -d '{' -f 2 | tr '|' ',' | tr -d '}' | tr ',' '\n'|grep 'Temp\|Fan\|Utilization\|Clock'
"Device Utilization %"=2
"Fan Speed(%)"=35
"Core Clock(MHz)"=33
"Memory Clock(MHz)"=500
"Fan Speed(RPM)"=0
"Temperature(C)"=36
"Device Utilization % at cur p-state"=0
"Device Unit 0 Utilization %"=0
"Device Unit 1 Utilization %"=0
"Device Unit 2 Utilization %"=0
"Device Unit 3 Utilization %"=0
"Device Unit 4 Utilization %"=0
"Device Utilization %"=0

There remains one small issue. When I finish gaming (Company of Heroes 2 in 4K which is quite a heavy GPU usage game) the fan speed falls down to 1500RPM. A sleep and wake will put the GPU back in 0 RPM again. I hope some finds out if this can be enforced or fixed by another way.

Last edited:
Hahaha I would do that if I had money

I did. I sold my EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 and replaced it with the Sapphire RX Vega 64 Nitro+ and kept 100 euro after the trade (sold the ti and bought the Nitro.) If I could do it over I would even stay at the RX Vega 56 because differences are small in performance but huge compared to power usage and you can keep even more money on your side. But in Mojave I'm happy that I replaced my GPU while I wasn't in High Sierra because of the fan issue which is gone now ... YAY!

I need to remove an AMD580 card from my office machine ( other configuration than this thread - High Sierra on Asus Z97P) and insert it into my development machine (signature) and my current 1050Ti from development machine into the office machine.
Should I install Nvidia drivers beforehand on the office machine?

I am currently on 13.13.6 on the dev machine with the 4.3.2 EFI folder. Is it plug and play changing from Nvidia to AMD?

I need to remove an AMD580 card from my office machine ( other configuration than this thread - High Sierra on Asus Z97P) and insert it into my development machine (signature) and my current 1050Ti from development machine into the office machine.
Should I install Nvidia drivers beforehand on the office machine?

I am currently on 13.13.6 on the dev machine with the 4.3.2 EFI folder. Is it plug and play changing from Nvidia to AMD?

I believe an Nvidia card needs to be installed before you can install the Nvidia web drivers.

Yes, it should be plug and play.

As scottkendall previously informed us, the device properties are not needed to get IGPU to work. I did some further testing on my own and made some amazing discoveries...

Not only is it not necessary to enter device properties, we don't even need WhateverGreen. I am currently running as follows:
  • No config.plist > Device > Properties entries related to IGPU.
  • No config.plist > Graphics > Inject Intel.
  • No config.plist > Graphics > RadeonDeInit.
  • No WhateverGreen.
  • GFX0 to IGPU rename.
  • PEGP to GFX0 rename.
  • 128MB assigned to IGPU in BIOS.

Everything works as it had been working! This is with IGPU enabled, an AMD Vega, and a single 4K monitor on Mojave. The IGPU is recognized as "Intel HD Graphics CFL CRB" and the Vega is recognized as "Radeon RX Vega 56". This is truly native support at its best.
View attachment 354139

Things that I haven't tested and may benefit from having WhateverGreen installed:
  • Multi-monitor setups. (Upon further testing, I found that with this configuration, only one of the DisplayPorts are functional.)
  • HDMI. (Tested. HDMI works and can be used for multi-monitor setups.)
  • Trying to get 4K@50/60Hz over HDMI.
  • Nvidia video cards.
  • High Sierra.

I know that a lot of users like to run their systems with as few kexts as possible, so depending on your configuration, it may be safe for you to remove WhateverGreen.

Did this, all is working well but still need WhateverGreen with Sapphire Radeon Nitro 56. Btw, without the properties the fans are working perfectly BUT with the properties the fans are always at 100% after using Vega full speed (games, etc). Even a video doesn't bring them down. So now its heaven :)

Did this, all is working well but still need WhateverGreen with Sapphire Radeon Nitro 56. Btw, without the properties the fans are working perfectly BUT with the properties the fans are always at 100% after using Vega full speed (games, etc). Even a video doesn't bring them down. So now its heaven :)

I found the same (I have same mainboard). Any idea how to get rid of whatevergreen Pastry? Seems to be a slight difference in behaviour somewhere.

PS Juhne, try a very intense GPU load like a game or so. I found out that after closing the game the GPU turns to the idle speed of 1500. Sleep and wake the system will turn the fans to quite (0 RPM) until I do the same again (wake and sleep).

Last edited:
I found the same (I have same mainboard). Any idea how to get rid of whatevergreen Pastry? Seems to be a slight difference in behaviour somewhere.

PS Juhne, try a very intense GPU load like a game or so. I found out that after closing the game the GPU turns to the idle speed of 1500. Sleep and wake the system will turn the fans to quite (0 RPM) until I do the same again (wake and sleep).

It's possible to remove WhateverGreen if you don't want to use it. I listed all the things to do in post #3443.

After you have done all those steps, only one of the DisplayPorts will work. For me, it was the one next to the HDMI port.

It's possible to remove WhateverGreen if you don't want to use it. I listed all the things to do in post #3443.

After you have done all those steps, only one of the DisplayPorts will work. For me, it was the one next to the HDMI port.

I know but I already asked #3446. But I will try it tonight. I Will report the result because Its an important detail you just shared.

Back