Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

I've noted that we have to update the Buyer's Guide, AMD Graphics card section. We'll add the MSI Vegas reference designs and remove the XFX cards. (The XFX cards have unusual VBIOS that are not compatible with macOS.)
Good to know.
Forget it Sapphire Vega 56. too much strange noises..

I've noted that we have to update the Buyer's Guide, AMD Graphics card section. We'll add the MSI Vegas reference designs and remove the XFX cards. (The XFX cards have unusual VBIOS that are not compatible with macOS.)

Yes and the XFX are protected to rewrite the bios although its using a AMD reference cooler. (Info from MacRumors)

Good to know.
Forget it Sapphire Vega 56. too much strange noises..

I don't think so. Is it equipped witha a reference cooler? Saphire can be rewritten with almost every bios of another card.
Its even official supported ... but the XFX too ... huh?

There is also another finding I found out reflash my secondary bios with different biosses from techpowerup. The MSI VEGA 64 AirBoost was the only card supporting the highres clover bootscreen (4K). All others failed back to 1280x720 in the clover bootscreen (CSM on or off didn't make a difference).

So they do not work even though they are on apples list for Egpu? I know I have had issues when ever I tried to use one and found it odd that Apple wold recommend one.

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on the reference Sapphire Vega 64 (non nitro). It seems like the safest bet considering the issues stated above with the Nitro+ and XFX cards. There are some good deals on ebay for used cards, but I assume they've all had crypto mined on them... I wonder if crypto miners edit the GPU bios and that could lead to problems?

81vyTmh-PoL._SL1500_.jpg

So they do not work even though they are on apples list for Egpu? I know I have had issues when ever I tried to use one and found it odd that Apple wold recommend one.

I think they "work". They just have fans that run higher than normal.

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on the reference Sapphire Vega 64 (non nitro). It seems like the safest bet considering the issues stated above with the Nitro+ and XFX cards. There are some good deals on ebay for used cards, but I assume they've all had crypto mined on them... I wonder if crypto miners edit the GPU bios and that could lead to problems?

81vyTmh-PoL._SL1500_.jpg

As far as I know, the Vega firmwares can not be edited. You can flash them with different firmware, but you can't make changes to the firmwares.

81vyTmh-PoL._SL1500_.jpg
I sold mine (model 56) because there was too much strange noise regardless of the speed of the fan. I had every movement of windows or video, flash animation, any movement in the picture was accompanied by a strange noise like a mechanical hard drive. and the worst is that I tried with 2 identical graphics cards from Sapphire Brand. impossible to determine where it could have come from ?! one thing sure, all works perfectly on windows 10. silent and especially without scratching noise. I have a big PC that I use like Slave (For VIENNA ENSEMBLE PRO software) and I have only one screen to manage the Hackintosh then the PC, I use Microsoft Remote desktop that allows me to switch from one screen to another with the same keyboard and mouse. Well, figure it out again, when I'm on the windows window, no more noise, nothing, silence. and when I switch with Mission control (using CTRL + ->). Hop the strange noise come back. a nightmare. I dropped and sold it today.
I do not know what to buy back ..

I hope my experience will help someone.

Ps: i tested with 2 windows 10 on differents machine and Sierra too. tested different kexts, clover settings, bios etc..
I don't speak about speed fan, the kext VEGAtab works wonderfuly for that. it'is only about scratch and strange noises.

Last edited:
I sold mine (model 56) because there was too much strange noise regardless of the speed of the fan. I had every movement of windows or video, flash animation, any movement in the picture was accompanied by a strange noise like a mechanical hard drive. and the worst is that I tried with 2 identical graphics cards from Sapphire Brand. impossible to determine where it could have come from ?! one thing sure, all works perfectly on windows 10. silent and especially without scratching noise. I have a big PC that I use like Slave (For VIENNA ENSEMBLE PRO software) and I have only one screen to manage the Hackintosh then the PC, I use Microsoft Remote desktop that allows me to switch from one screen to another with the same keyboard and mouse. Well, figure it out again, when I'm on the windows window, no more noise, nothing, silence. and when I switch with Mission control (using CTRL + ->). Hop the strange noise come back. a nightmare. I dropped and sold it today.
I do not know what to buy back ..

I hope my experience will help someone.

Ps: i tested with 2 windows 10 on differents machine and Sierra too. tested different kexts, clover settings, bios etc..
I don't speak about speed fan, the kext VEGAtab works wonderfuly for that. it'is only about scratch and strange noises.

I'm almost positive it's coil whine. If you do a search on Google on "how to fix video card coil whine", you will find some Windows fixes but none for macOS.

I think lots of different things can cause coil whine including the power lines in your location. As I've said, I have not experienced any coil whine with any of my video cards.

Update #18 (August 23, 2018):
EFI folder r4.4 released. This EFI folder should only be used with (1) 17G2112 or newer or (2) Mojave. If you will be remaining on Sierra or High Sierra, use r4.3. Changes are:

Did you find a sort of supplemental update from 17G65 to 17G2112 (ore even newer)? I would like to have native compatibility with Coffee Lake under my desktop machine but I haven't found any update...

Back