Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Correct. I am currently using this card.

Correct.

The kexts fix the fan behavior on the Vegas. I have tested in High Sierra and Mojave public beta. We can't predict the future, but I don't anticipate any problems.

Again, I have been very happy with my decision to switch from a GTX 1080 to a Vega. Everything has been very smooth since my transition.

Also, here's a link that may help better explain what a reference card is:
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3063399/reference-card.html

But chef Its A bit choosing between the chicken and the egg.

Reference coolers are known to be louder while custom coolers are known to be better capable to be silent. The reference coolers do have the advantage they throw heated air directly outside but are extremely ugly:)

Reflected to hacks do you think a sapphire nitro is louder then the reference style cooler? Can you flash fan / cooling profiles as in the past?

But chef Its A bit choosing between the chicken and the egg.

Reference coolers are known to be louder while custom coolers are known to be better capable to be silent. The reference coolers do have the advantage they throw heated air directly outside but are extremely ugly:)

Reflected to hacks do you think a sapphire nitro is louder then the reference style cooler? Can you flash fan / cooling profiles as in the past?

This is true. Usually, custom coolers are quieter and cool the GPU better. The only down side is that custom coolers are usually "open". By this I mean that heat blown away from the GPU heatsink but not out of the case. This can increase temperatures of other components in the system.

By keeping the heat inside the case, things like VRM and CPU temps can be affected. This, in turn, can affect CPU overclocking potential and stability. VRM temps can be especially affected when water cooling is used for the CPU because there is less air movement.

In regards to Sapphire Nitro vs reference, I'm almost certain that the Nitro will cool the GPU better and be quieter when under full load.

This is true. Usually, custom coolers are quieter and cool the GPU better. The only down side is that custom coolers are usually "open". By this I mean that heat blown away from the GPU heatsink but not out of the case. This can increase temperatures of other components in the system.

By keeping the heat inside the case, things like VRM and CPU temps can be affected. This, in turn, can affect CPU overclocking potential and stability. VRM temps can be especially affected when water cooling is used for the CPU because there is less air movement.

In regards to Sapphire Nitro vs reference, I'm almost certain that the Nitro will cool the GPU better and be quieter when under full load.

Then Its better to go for an Amazon purchase. Will cost me 50 euro more but I Can return iT when I have issues I cant overcome with.

Switching from your GTX 1080 Ti to Vega 64 should be extremely easy. Just swap out the video cards and you should be done.

My opinion is that the Vega made macOS much smoother. I have no regrets at all about switching from my GTX 1080 to the Vega.

For gaming in Windows, I think that the Nvidia cards are still better performers.

I have never tried having both an Nvidia card and an AMD card installed at the same time so I can't really say how it will work.
It will be worth it! Trust me I should have listened to @pastrychef a long time ago
Also in terms of gaming.. you would be surprised, if your monitor supports FreeSync which is AMD, then the experience is actually sometimes better than with the 1080Ti on my ultra wide monitor since my monitor only has FreeSync

@pastrychef can you please instruct me what to do to take out nvidia card and to temporarily switch over to internal graphics?
I tried to choose my old intel config but it won't work anymore. I decided to go for the Sapphire RX Vega RX64 Nitro + which is only 519 euro ATM. I can sell the 1080Ti for 640 so I have some money over to spend maybe on a FreeSync monitor. I have now P2715Q which has good quality but has some flaws.

ATM I use your 4.3r EFI pack in nVidia mode.

I know these steps :
  1. Change bios from PCI to CPU graphics and all other options enabled render standby / multimonitor support / and 192MB
  2. Inject intel for CPU: i7 8700k
  3. Do I need IntelGraphicsDVMTFixup / IntelGraphicsFixup or is WhateverGreen in 4.3 EFi pack replacing these?
  4. ?

Thanks!

Last edited:
It will be worth it! Trust me I should have listened to @pastrychef a long time ago
Also in terms of gaming.. you would be surprised, if your monitor supports FreeSync which is AMD, then the experience is actually sometimes better than with the 1080Ti on my ultra wide monitor since my monitor only has FreeSync

Lets find out I just sold it and ordered a Sapphire RX Vega 64 Nitro. Joehoe!

I don't know if this company ships outside of the US, but this is where I purchased two of the BCM04360CS2 cards:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MacBook-Ai...387375?hash=item3d0905e92f:g:n8wAAOSwiwVWR5hn

M.2 adaptor and antenna pigtails are not included. But I found really good deals for those on eBay as well. They shipped from China so it was quite a long wait for delivery but the prices were very low.

Yes. AirPlay video works fine for me. I never had to do anything special. It just detected my Apple TV since day 1.
View attachment 347297

@pastrychef, I just found out that the M2 - BCM04360CS2 requires a 2230 type M2 key A/E connector. My motherboard comes only with 2 m2 slots which are only compatible with 2242 / 2260 / 2280 PCIe storage devices. So I will end up with a normal PCIe 1-4X slot which makes it a less attractive solution for me.

Hello guys,
USB Fix
Now everything is clear to me and I understand how to do it.
Delete the ports you are not using, If I can help you I am attaching 2 images on the internal USB ports.

21 USB ports
13 ports:HS (High Speed) USB 2.0 - 480 Mbit/s
6 ports: SS (SuperSpeed) USB 3.0 - 5 Gbit/s
2 ports: SS+ 'USR' (SuperSpeed+) USB 3.1 - 10 Gbit/s
  • HS01 // USB2 under PS2 top
  • HS02 // USB2 under PS2 bottom
  • HS03 // USB2 #1 from USB3 motherboard header (internal)
  • HS04 // USB2 #2 from USB3 motherboard header (internal)
  • HS05 // USB2 under ethernet top
  • HS06 // USB2 under ethernet bottom
  • HS07 // M.2 USB2 (internal) (Bluetooth)
  • HS09 // USB2 to right of HDMI
  • HS10 // USB2 to right of HDMI
  • HS11 // USB2 #1 on USB2 motherboard header USB1112 (internal)
  • HS12 // USB2 #2 on USB2 motherboard header USB1112 (internal)
  • HS13 // USB2 #1 on USB2 motherboard header USB1314 (internal)
  • HS14 // USB2 #2 on USB2 motherboard header USB1314 (internal)
  • SS01 // USB3 under PS2 top
  • SS02 // USB3 under PS2 bottom
  • SS03 // USB3 from USB3 motherboard header
  • SS04 // USB3 from USB3 motherboard header
  • SS05 // USB3 below ethernet top
  • SS06 // USB3 #2 below ethernet bottom
  • USR1 // USB 3.1 Gen.2 port (back panel, RED, Type-A)
  • USR2 // USB 3.1 Gen.2 port (back panel, RED, Type-A)

Strix Z370-G WiFi  internal USB.png
Strix Z370-G WiFi USB ports.jpg

Last edited:
@pastrychef can you please instruct me what to do to take out nvidia card and to temporarily switch over to internal graphics?
I tried to choose my old intel config but it won't work anymore. I decided to go for the Sapphire RX Vega RX64 Nitro + which is only 519 euro ATM. I can sell the 1080Ti for 640 so I have some money over to spend maybe on a FreeSync monitor. I have now P2715Q which has good quality but has some flaws.

ATM I use your 4.3r EFI pack in nVidia mode.

I know these steps :
  1. Change bios from PCI to CPU graphics and all other options enabled render standby / multimonitor support / and 192MB
  2. Inject intel for CPU: i7 8700k
  3. Do I need IntelGraphicsDVMTFixup / IntelGraphicsFixup or is WhateverGreen in 4.3 EFi pack replacing these?
  4. ?

Thanks!

All you need to do is make the following change.
Screen Shot 2018-08-25 at 8.24.55 AM.png
Don't make any changes to your kexts.

When you get your Vega card, revert back to the previous setting in config.plist.

Last edited:
@pastrychef, I just found out that the M2 - BCM04360CS2 requires a 2230 type M2 key A/E connector. My motherboard comes only with 2 m2 slots which are only compatible with 2242 / 2260 / 2280 PCIe storage devices. So I will end up with a normal PCIe 1-4X slot which makes it a less attractive solution for me.

Those are different M.2 slots. You should use those M.2 slots for NVMe SSDs. Since your motherboard doesn't have Wi-Fi/Bluetooth, you should get a PCI-e adaptor with an Apple Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card. Something like:
s-l500.png

Back