Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

I was having terrible mouse lag in macOS, after hours of research and no results, it turns out I had SIP set to 0x67 in Clover instead of 0x3, this solved the problem and my Mac is back to normal. Just a small tip if you guys are having any similar problems with these EFI settings. Keep up the great work pastrychef!

EDIT: Do I need to do anything to your AppleLPC thingy if my system is KabyLake and not CoffeeLake?

I was having terrible mouse lag in macOS, after hours of research and no results, it turns out I had SIP set to 0x67 in Clover instead of 0x3, this solved the problem and my Mac is back to normal. Just a small tip if you guys are having any similar problems with these EFI settings. Keep up the great work pastrychef!

EDIT: Do I need to do anything to your AppleLPC thingy if my system is KabyLake and not CoffeeLake?

It's optional. If you want AppleLPC to load, install the aml file.

I would pay for an socket 2066 or xeon build with your effort and support for us pastrychef !

I would pay for an socket 2066 or xeon build with your effort and support for us pastrychef !

For the things I do, faster single core performance is more important than having dozens of cores. I figured this out from my days with my MacPro5,1. Additionally, Intel is set to release an 8 core 1151 CPU any day now. This should help satisfy the needs of many.

The reason why Z370 works so well with macOS is because it is so very similar to Z170 and Z270. Since Apple uses Z170, this means many things just work. Broadwell-E, Skylake-X, etc are not in Apple's lineup so a considerably more amount of work is needed to make it work right. Plus, maintaining it through updates can potentially be a pain. I just wasn't willing to dedicate that much time and effort to it.

Last edited:
Broadwell-E, Skylake-X, etc are not in Apple's lineup so a considerably more amount of work is needed to make it work right. Plus, maintaining it through updates can potentially be a pain. I just wasn't willing to dedicate that much time and effort to it.

This is the reason the X299 iMac Pro support thread is now over 920 pages long. Extreme complexity leads to a lot of posts from those that own them. It's like another full time job when you use an X299 CustoMac.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...c-pro-successful-build-extended-guide.229353/

This is the reason the X299 iMac Pro support thread is now over 920 pages long. Extreme complexity leads to a lot of posts from those that own them. It's like another full time job when you use an X299 CustoMac.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...c-pro-successful-build-extended-guide.229353/

Despite a slightly quirky BIOS, I was able to get macOS up and running within an hour of receiving my $160 HP Skylake desktop. I only had to make a few adjustments to one of the EFI folders from here and haven't had to mess with anything since.

I highly doubt that can be possible with a X99 or X299.

I highly doubt that can be possible with a X99 or X299.

Correct, even if the author of an "X" build thread provides their EFI folder it's not anything like an install on OOB compatible hardware. I would be more than happy with an 8 core Z370 build that was not high maintenance. 8-10 cores is the sweet spot for a high end workstation CustoMac. Unless someone is rendering hours of 5K footage on a daily basis there is no need for an 18 core beastly X299 build. It's fine if you've got money and time to burn but the majority of people here don't.

Correct, even if the author of an "X" build thread provides their EFI folder it's not anything like an install on OOB compatible hardware. I would be more than happy with an 8 core Z370 build that was not high maintenance. 8-10 cores is the sweet spot for a high end workstation CustoMac. Unless someone is rendering hours of 5K footage on a daily basis there is no need for an 18 core beastly X299 build. It's fine if you've got money and time to burn but the majority of people here don't.

Yes, when Intel decided to release 6 and 8 core "consumer" level CPUs, the landscape changed. Plus, I've seen/read of how, in many instances, lots of cores does not equate to better performance. The apps you use must be able to take advantage of all the cores or it will just be a waste.

Things may have changed since the following were written/filmed but at least some of it should still be relevant:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Premiere-Pro-CC-Multi-Core-Performance-698/

Hi Pastry, I've had success with my first build using your guide and exact build specs. I installed Sierra with no problems. However, I've built a second machine with the same parts but with an MSI GTX 1080 (instead of UHD 630 integrated graphics) and also 64GB RAM instead of 16GB. Other than that the builds are the same. I'm having trouble installing High Sierra. I've built the USB with UniBeast 8.1 and using your latest R3.5 Nvidia EFI. The Clover screen comes up, and then it restarts about halfway though the mac OS boot from USB. I've tried multiple USB sticks and downloaded a new High Sierra install, any ideas?

Thanks for all your work.
Cheers
Dave

Back