Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Wow. I'm surprised to hear that your FCPX problem was due to the Vega 64... I wonder if the Vega 64 was crashing due to heat...

I often wonder if my random crash issues are from the Vega driver! My system often crashes while I am using parallels and iTunes.

I often wonder if my random crash issues are from the Vega driver! My system often crashes while I am using parallels and iTunes.

I don't use Parallels, but I do use VMware Fusion and iTunes and neither have crashed on me in a very, very, very long time.

Shiki helps with iTunes crashes. I use a "Boot Camp" drive with VMware Fusion. By "Boot Camp", I mean I have Windows installed on a separate drive that was originally created on my old Mac Pro using the Boot Camp Utilities.

I have constant crashes on the Z370-I with AMD RX580. I cannot finish a game of SC2 (horrors!) without a crash. By that I mean music (iTunes perhaps or PlexAmp) play in the background, but the mouse and keyboard cease working, and all SC2 activity stops. Sometimes I can wait 5-10 minutes and the GUi/m/k become responsive, frequently not. Frustrating. My first test will be replacing the RX580 with a 970 or a 1080.

I have constant crashes on the Z370-I with AMD RX580. I cannot finish a game of SC2 (horrors!) without a crash. By that I mean music (iTunes perhaps or PlexAmp) play in the background, but the mouse and keyboard cease working, and all SC2 activity stops. Sometimes I can wait 5-10 minutes and the GUi/m/k become responsive, frequently not. Frustrating. My first test will be replacing the RX580 with a 970 or a 1080.

How are the temps on the RX580? Is the card overclocked?

Shiki helps with iTunes crashes. I use a "Boot Camp" drive with VMware Fusion. By "Boot Camp", I mean I have Windows installed on a separate drive that was originally created on my old Mac Pro using the Boot Camp Utilities.

I have Shiki installed maybe I should try Fusion, and it is hard freeze that I only notice to happen when I run the two together, and after it crashes seems like it is good till the next day... If I never load the VM and just use Mac only software it does not crash. I also have it installed on another drive though it was installed from Parallels and is just parallels image not truly installed. I guess I have nothing to lose by using my Mac Pro to make a similar drive.

I have Shiki installed maybe I should try Fusion, and it is hard freeze that I only notice to happen when I run the two together, and after it crashes seems like it is good till the next day... If I never load the VM and just use Mac only software it does not crash. I also have it installed on another drive though it was installed from Parallels and is just parallels image not truly installed. I guess I have nothing to lose by using my Mac Pro to make a similar drive.

I tried Parallels once quite a few years ago and hated it. It installed stuff everywhere and really messed up my Windows installation to the point where I had to do a complete reinstallation of Windows. I also really hated the way it tried to integrate both operating systems.

I have found Fusion to be much cleaner, more stable, and less intrusive in that the client operating system is more "sandboxed".

Ok, I solved my Final Cut Pro / Crash-Problem...

The solution was fairly easy; I buyed a Geforce 1080Ti !
It even supports 4K/60Hz over HDMI what the Vega64 doesn't without an active DisplayPort Adapter.

Well thats both counter intuitive and reassuring :thumbup:

Which CUDA "formula" - os + nvidia drivers + kexts - did you use, if I may ask?

I'm committed to the 'hard' work of NVidia - yet to buy my gpu, very close now. Premiere/AE/Media encoder performance is paramount. (Stop looking at me from the corner 8700k, we're nearly there, I promise.)

Tossing up between 10.12.6, with nVidia backport. Or 10.13x-ish :banghead:

Hello!

Thanks for helping everyone gets their hackintosh working!

I am recently thinking about going to get an upgrade from 1080 ti to an either vega 64 or vega frontier editions, because i want better compatibility, and smoother UI.

And i am wondering has vega been working well for you? Do you think i will get what i want from these amd cards?
Thank!!

Hello!

Thanks for helping everyone gets their hackintosh working!

I am recently thinking about going to get an upgrade from 1080 ti to an either vega 64 or vega frontier editions, because i want better compatibility, and smoother UI.

And i am wondering has vega been working well for you? Do you think i will get what i want from these amd cards?
Thank!!

Better compatibility and smoother UI were the exact reasons why I switched from a GTX 1080 to a Vega 56.

For compatibility with macOS, AMD cards will beat Nvidia cards every time because there hasn't been any Macs shipped with Nvidia cards in such a long time. Even for eGPU usage, only AMD cards are on Apple's recommended list. This means no more waiting for Nvidia to release their web drivers with each new macOS release.

For UI smoothness, I had forgotten how smooth the UI should be because I had been using Nvidia cards for so long. When I did the swap, it felt like a brand new computer.

Overall, I have been very happy with my Vega and, if I could do it all over again, I would have just gone with a Vega from the start.

How are the temps on the RX580? Is the card overclocked?

I've not looked into temps much, but in Windows it doesn't crash playing SC2. What's the best way to monitor temps with the RX580 in MacOS? Same tools as what you're posting for the Vega cards?

No OC'ing of the RX580 at all. It's this card: https://us.msi.com/Graphics-card/Radeon-RX-580-ARMOR-MK2-8G-OC.html - I think it ships in gaming mode (1366 boost clock), and one has to change a few settings to change the modes; I haven't and don't plan to do so...

The I7-8700(non-K) has the typical Asus "All-Cores" BIOS setting, but otherwise is unchanged from stock clocks, and temps don't get over 83-85 during Handbrake sessions; SC2 typically only uses 2 cores or so, and so I'd not expect CPU heat to be an issue.

Back