Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Updated to macOS High Sierra 10.13.5 via App Store with no problems

+1 Worked like a charm.
This has been an awesome build, super stable for 4 months now. Awesome work pastrychef!

Yeah, my typical luck...

An error occurred (500 Error)

We're sorry, but a temporary technical error has occurred which means we cannot display this site right now.

You can try again by clicking the button below, or try again later.

I couldn't download it until I signed into insanelymac.com.

I installed the Vega 56 kext made by wyhtc and it has been working great. Not only has it quieted the Vega fan when idle (it still gets very loud under load), it has also improved performance significantly for me (compare with my results on post #1).

I was just about to post a question regarding any solutions for the crazy fan noise, and I saw your post. I installed your linked wyhytc kext. OMG, the quiet!! I can hear myself not think!!! (eyes getting moist from deep & profound emotion)

If I have your config, but without dedicated graphic card, only iGPU, should I install these kexts NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext and WhateverGreen.kext ?
Thanks.

If I have your config, but without dedicated graphic card, only iGPU, should I install these kexts NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext and WhateverGreen.kext ?
Thanks.

They aren't needed if you are using IGPU, but having them there should not cause any problems either.

This is my results without changing anything for the Vega 56. It's a Sapphire Nitro RX Vega 56 (not limited edition). No Noise at all (in games or else) and I'm pretty picky with noises... My only problems is the temp on the 8700k with the NZXT 52 while doing an handbrake encoding : 85°C max. Also this is with a Samsung 960 Pro 512 Gb.

Edit : on macOS 10.13.5
Edit 2: The 8700k is running at stock (no overclocking and no delidding )

utG4U6s.png
c8gj7AY.png
5Iuj9rU.png
QqdQERp.png

Last edited:
This is my results without changing anything for the Vega 56. It's a Sapphire Nitro RX Vega 56 (not limited edition). No Noise at all (in games or else) and I'm pretty picky with noises... My only problems is the temp on the 8700k with the NZXT 52 while doing an handbrake encoding : 85°C max. Also this is with a Samsung 960 Pro 512 Gb.

Edit : on macOS 10.13.5
Edit 2: The 8700k is running at stock (no overclocking and no delidding )

utG4U6s.png
c8gj7AY.png
5Iuj9rU.png
QqdQERp.png

Unfortunately, a triple slot video card is not an option for me. I need the adjacent PCI-e slot. I'm also not a fan of open coolers on video cards. I had an open cooler GTX 680 in the past and by not pushing the heat out of the case, it contributed to hotter running CPU. I don't know if an open cooler would affect a water cooled CPU.

If your CPU is not overclocked, it should not be running that hot. My CPU has never hit 80C even with my overclock. I tested by queuing up a bunch of videos in Handbrake and left it running overnight. Maybe a different thermal compound will work better for you...

Asus Z370-I (ITX) with DSDT from Asus Z370-G (Madone)
HP EX720 NVME with Asus heatsink on it
Radeon RX580

1672.8 MB/s write
2891.7 MB/s read

LuxMark 3.1 gives 15478, with a Radeon RX580, 36 @ 1366 mhz.

Heaven is a decade old, so I focused on Valley, running the same specs as the prior post, 1920x1080, 8xAA, Ultra:
FPS 47.4
Score: 1985
Min FPS: 28.2
Max FPS: 83.4

System: Darwin 17.6.0 X86_64
CPU Model: I7-8700 @ 3.2
GPU Model: RX580 (256MB) X1

Back