Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Oh I was looking at running an i5 8600k, still overkill for a server, but will be quick enough for development etc as well :)

Do you have more info somewhere on the NAS though?

I wrote a little about my NAS way back in post #265.

There has been a few users reporting issues when using multi monitor setups with AMD graphics cards. So, I was searching around trying to learn what I could of the situation and I came across an interesting video. The video suggests that different monitors can exhibit different behaviors. They proved it by using the same setup with two different sets of monitors.

Here's the video. Skip to about 4:17 for relevant info regarding multi monitor setups.

@pastrychef With SSDT-USB I still got "Disk Not Ejected Properly" error notification at wake up, if USB drive is plugged into USB3.1 Gen 2 (Red Type A or Type C), but no error with regular USB3.1 Gen1 port (Blue). USB3.1 Gen 2 devices are under RP05 in IOReg. Do you have same issue and do you know how to fix it? Thanks!

Last edited:
@pastrychef With SSDT-USB I still got "Disk Not Ejected Properly" error notification at wake up, if USB drive is plugged into USB3.1 Gen 2 (Red Type A or Type C), but no error with regular USB3.1 Gen1 port (Blue). USB3.1 Get 2 devices are under RP05 in IOReg. Do you have same issue and do you know how to fix it? Thanks!

Honestly, I haven't tried. The only time I've really used the USB 3.1 gen 2 ports were for testing. Other than that, I occasionally use the gen 1 ports for external drives but I never leave them connected long enough for system to sleep.

Hey Pastrychef, thanks for the... well everything!! this guide has been a huge help. The system runs blazing fast and almost perfect.
but...I have a question. i am having real problems rendering in premeire (rendering is fine in resolve). Every time i start a render the computer slows to a crawl and i end up having to restart the system. I cant get it back by force quitting or anything. Ive been noticing DumpGPUReset popping up in my processes every time i start a render. any ideas?
thanks very much

asus rog strix z 370-g
960 evo 500gb m.2 as boot drive
4tb sata for storage
16gb ddr4
gigabyte radeon rx580

Hey Pastrychef, thanks for the... well everything!! this guide has been a huge help. The system runs blazing fast and almost perfect.
but...I have a question. i am having real problems rendering in premeire (rendering is fine in resolve). Every time i start a render the computer slows to a crawl and i end up having to restart the system. I cant get it back by force quitting or anything. Ive been noticing DumpGPUReset popping up in my processes every time i start a render. any ideas?
thanks very much

asus rog strix z 370-g
960 evo 500gb m.2 as boot drive
4tb sata for storage
16gb ddr4
gigabyte radeon rx580

I haven't encountered this error before. What version of macOS are you on? Do you have WhateverGreen.kext installed?

Google found this:
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2151978

The problem was apparently hardware related and necessitated a replacement video card. But, as we know, Apple has been making many changes to graphics in macOS. I would not be surprised that a bug has been introduced. I see that you have a GTX 1070 in another build. It might be worth a shot to try with the GTX 1070 to see how it works.

Hey, thanks for the reply. I installed high sierra on this system and I do have whatevergreen installed. I do have a 1070 on my other system and was considering swapping the cards. That might have to be the next step. wasn't sure if i missed something in bios or what, never seen this dumpgpu thing before. Thanks again, Ill post an update when i figure it out :crazy:

Hey, thanks for the reply. I installed high sierra on this system and I do have whatevergreen installed. I do have a 1070 on my other system and was considering swapping the cards. That might have to be the next step. wasn't sure if i missed something in bios or what, never seen this dumpgpu thing before. Thanks again, Ill post an update when i figure it out :crazy:

With 10.13.4, WhateverGreen.kext may not be necessary. Try removing it first and see how it runs.

My system has started being stuck on the screen just before Clover gui (the one where it states the Clover version). I will stay stuck on there for a . good 15 seconds, before showing the gui. Not a huge problem, but I have 3 similar setups (similar as in identical, apart from them having AMD cards, since I built them after that was recommended), and they show the clover version for less than a second.
I've not run any tests, but my original system is also a fair bit slower when compiling source code, so I figured I'd ask if any one knew where to start troubleshooting this

Back