Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

@pastrychef
Have they resolved the power management issue with the vega 56 and 64 with highspeed all the time or maybe highspeed in final cut etc? They say its OOB support but if highspeed has not been resolved I would not consider this as working OOB.

The fans still run at high speed on Vega cards.

Don't expect OOB support until macOS High Sierra 10.13.4.

As of today, the Vegas are useable with a few quarks such as the fans running high. The Vega has made my system much smoother than when I was using my GTX 1080. I consider it a massive improvement.

And now... it randomly works (except for what it seems like a complete loss of any OSX settings). I've zero faith in this setup now, that it's not some horrible frankenstein monster working only by stars alignment and one that will fail me as soon as it gets the change. If anything, I now have to reinstall all this crap, at least.
Use UniBeast and MultiBeast for High Sierra. pastrychef created Post #1 and his EFI partition files before Uni/MultiBeast for High Sierra were released. You will now be able to use whatever graphics card you want.

In MultiBeast, for AMD cards, see the Customization > Graphics section of the MultiBeast Features document, pages 7-8. I use the AMD Graphics Fixup for My Hero II's AMD RX 580 graphics card.

In MultiBeast, for Nvidia cards, choose the Bootloaders > Clover UEFI Boot Mode + Emulated NVRAM.

Bottom line: You don't need someone else's EFI files.

I don't have the creeping slowness & reboot issue with the 1070 under Windows 10. So the hardware seems to be fine.

Using a 970 with .104 drivers in this build seems to work OK so far. I'm somewhat confident that the Nvidia drivers are foobar for 1070s currently.

Well, I meanwhile can confirm to have the same issue with a 970 on .104 drivers; just at a much slower rate than with my 1070. Almost a week without a forced reboot, but, oh boy, that sucks. I really wonder what's wrong here and how others can keep a good uptime when using Nvidia drivers.

Guess I'll start saving some money for a Vega 56 :)

@pastrychef Hey I followed your guide but in my Bios i cant find the USB Configuration and also the computer is now stuck on the Apple logo.

Hardware:
Asus Strix Z370G
Asus Strix GTX 1060
Intel core i5 8400

@pastrychef Hey I followed your guide but in my Bios i cant find the USB Configuration and also the computer is now stuck on the Apple logo.

Hardware:
Asus Strix Z370G
Asus Strix GTX 1060
Intel core i5 8400

You couldn't find the USB settings in BIOS??
171208122624.jpg

Advanced/Advanced USB Configuration/Legacy USB Support - Enabled
Advacned/Advanced USB Configuration/USB Keyboard and Mouse Simulator - Disabled

Is your RAM plugged in to the correct slots? Don't follow the manual directions for RAM placement.

@pastrychef I have started everything properly but now the pc is stuck on the Apple logo and the loading bar is about halfway and it seems frozen.
15213788161291999368732.jpg

@pastrychef I have started everything properly but now the pc is stuck on the Apple logo and the loading bar is about halfway and it seems frozen. View attachment 319616

Did you change your RAM slots? If you use B2 and A2, it won't work!!!!
Did you set USB correctly in BIOS?

Boot in verbose mode and take a picture of where it stops.

Last edited:
Back