Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Which Options do I Need to Chose for MultiBeast?
Please provide complete details in your Profile.

Mobo: motherboard manufacturer/model
CPU: detailed CPU model (e.g., i7-4770K)
Graphics: Video card manufacturer/model and/or Intel Integrated Graphics version (e.g., HD4600)

See my Profile items to the left of my post, under my name.

By completing your Profile and signature block, you help us help you better. :thumbup:

My Hardware is as follows:
Asus Z370G Motherboard
Intel Core i5 8400 CPU
Asus Strix GTX 1060 6GB

My Hardware is as follows:
Asus Z370G Motherboard
Intel Core i5 8400 CPU
Asus Strix GTX 1060 6GB

Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 5.12.29 PM.png
These should work for you. Or, just get the EFI folder from post #1.

I went to www.sketchfab.com to check out some 3D models. Lo and behold!! The 3D models are rendering properly now!!

Here's one example, but every 3D model I tried to look at was distorted when using my old GTX 1080.
SpaceShip RaceShip!!! by James Robbins - 3D model - Sketchfab

On GTX 1080:
View attachment 318347

On Intel HD 5500:
View attachment 318348

On Vega 56:
View attachment 318349

I've been out of the loop with work but I saw this post. If it's worth noting, this 3D scene works great on my 980 GTX. Now I'm on Sierra with your build instructions, I've still no love for high sierra, I find that it's performance sucks on real macs too.

Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 6.18.37 PM.jpg

I've been out of the loop with work but I saw this post. If it's worth noting, this 3D scene works great on my 980 GTX. Now I'm on Sierra with your build instructions, I've still no love for high sierra, I find that it's performance sucks on real macs too.

View attachment 319257

I personally don't have any issues with High Sierra. The only problems I had were with Nvidia's web drivers which I blame Nvidia for.

Ever since switching to AMD, macOS has felt incredibly smooth and I've been comfortable enough with 10.13.3 (17D102) that I've deleted my old Sierra backups. Now, all my systems are running High Sierra.

@pastrychef My new Sapphire Vega 56 Nitro card is arriving today so I hope to test the OOB functionality with it. As I understand, you didn't really need to do anything to get yours working? Is the full fan spees (still?) a big issue? I only hope the card will fit in my case, as it is MASSIVE as I just realised...

You need to do one of the following, NOT BOTH:
  • In Clover Configurator, Graphics section, enable RadeonDeInit.
  • Install WhateverGreen.kext in to the same folder where Lilu.kext is.
*Note: Using RadeonDeInit allows for 10-bit color. Using WhateverGreen.kext will limit you to 8-bit color. WhateverGreen.kext works better with cards that have "non-standard" ports.

No success. I also updated bios to 0612. Started from default but the computer won't boot if I activate XMP .

It does not even go past the first step in the video guide you provided: enable XMP to set RAM correct speed without any other adjustment.

I also tried the Asus EZ wizard way, it did go onto the OSX progress bar but it then failed at the end of it, after four consecutive tries the comp beeped four times and would not boot, I peacefuly panicked :eek: because according to the MB manual that sound sequence means "hardware component failure". I thought I had burned something in a split second.
I did let it rest for a few minutes and it luckily came back.

Tired of trying different combinations all day I give up for now.
:crazy:
Someone on the Asus forums states 3200 ram are picky-tricky. I feel like I should have paid a bit more and get the 3400 you are using, but hell is RAM expensive now.

How could I find out if it is the ram modules or some other thing?

I am running the same setup I had before, loaded cpu 5G OC profile but RAM is running at 2133 according to bios.

No success. I also updated bios to 0612. Started from default but the computer won't boot if I activate XMP .

It does not even go past the first step in the video guide you provided: enable XMP to set RAM correct speed without any other adjustment.

I also tried the Asus EZ wizard way, it did go onto the OSX progress bar but it then failed at the end of it, after four consecutive tries the comp beeped four times and would not boot, I peacefuly panicked :eek: because according to the MB manual that sound sequence means "hardware component failure". I thought I had burned something in a split second.

Someone on the Asus forums states 3200 ram are picky-tricky. I feel like I should have paid a bit more and get the 3400 you are using, but hell is RAM expensive now.

I am running the same setup I had before, loaded cpu 5G OC profile but RAM is running at 2133 according to bios.

If the RAM is not running at its advertised speed, return it and exchange for a new set.

Yes, I finally I have to do that.
Thanks Pastrychef.

@pastrychef
Have they resolved the power management issue with the Vega 56 and 64 with high speed all the time or maybe high speed in Final Cut, etc? They say its OOB support but if high speed has not been resolved I would not consider this as working OOB.

Back