Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Speaking of thermals, smaller case may not be really more effective: not only the space between elements producing heat is smaller, causing the air to heat up more and therefore heating up other, cooler elements, but also this means that the air pressure inside is higher and with the same power of fans in smaller case the airflow would in fact be worse, given in higher pressure less air would get in. Not to mention that when leaving the case under higher pressure, the air would make more noise than in case of lower pressure difference between inside and outside. Just a thought.

The following is an image I just found on the internet, not my own, but it's pretty much the same setup as mine minus one video card.
180083.c80fb609d117d6b9aceee64d89e3f4d9.1600.jpg

There is obviously positive air pressure here, but I think it's very minor. I think increasing interior volume would just necessitate more fans to achieve the same level of efficiency.

I'm going to grab another WiFi card to make sure that isn’t the issue. Only thing I can think is the card is wonky.

Hi All,
First time poster here. Thanks so much for all the valuable guides, info, troubleshooting. Super helpful. Finally got my first build going and had my first go at getting some OS's on there last night. Followed Pastrychef's guide from the beginning of this thread for initial setup. My BIOS had a few options missing from his BIOS walk through but other than that everything seemed fine. Went ahead with the setup and booted off my High Sierra USB. Got to the clover boot screen just fine all looked good, Apple logo with progress bar etc. When I advanced to the next screen, the macOS utilities screen, this is where I'm stuck. I can move my mouse around the screen and I can arrow key through the utility options but I can't click or hit enter on the keyboard. It's not letting me select anything. The options aren't grayed out or anything, I just can't click or enter on them. It's like the only keys that work are the arrow and tab keys and the mouse just allows movement, no clicking. So I have to restart the machine each time to get out of the macOS utilities area. Tried all different combinations of usb ports. Keyboard and mouse plugged in and each with only keyboard and only mouse plugged in. I'm stumped at where to take things from here. If anyone has any suggestions, I would love to hear them. Thanks for your time and hope to hear from you soon. Much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Hi All,
First time poster here. Thanks so much for all the valuable guides, info, troubleshooting. Super helpful. Finally got my first build going and had my first go at getting some OS's on there last night. Followed Pastrychef's guide from the beginning of this thread for initial setup. My BIOS had a few options missing from his BIOS walk through but other than that everything seemed fine. Went ahead with the setup and booted off my High Sierra USB. Got to the clover boot screen just fine all looked good, Apple logo with progress bar etc. When I advanced to the next screen, the macOS utilities screen, this is where I'm stuck. I can move my mouse around the screen and I can arrow key through the utility options but I can't click or hit enter on the keyboard. It's not letting me select anything. The options aren't grayed out or anything, I just can't click or enter on them. It's like the only keys that work are the arrow and tab keys and the mouse just allows movement, no clicking. So I have to restart the machine each time to get out of the macOS utilities area. Tried all different combinations of usb ports. Keyboard and mouse plugged in and each with only keyboard and only mouse plugged in. I'm stumped at where to take things from here. If anyone has any suggestions, I would love to hear them. Thanks for your time and hope to hear from you soon. Much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

I'm confused as to where you are stuck. Can you post a picture?

AC6A676B-E0CE-436C-BD29-898DB8107A47.jpeg
Here’s a pic of where i run into the above mouse/keyboard issues.

View attachment 310419 Here’s a pic of where i run into the above mouse/keyboard issues.

Wow. That's weird!! I've never heard of anything like this... I don't know what the cause is... Do you have another keyboard or mouse you can try?

Wow. That's weird!! I've never heard of anything like this... I don't know what the cause is... Do you have another keyboard or mouse you can try?
Yeah I’ll give that a shot. It’s definitely weird....searched high and low for anyone with the same issues. Might try to make a new installer if I can’t get it to work. Thanks!

Nothing in particular , just wanted to say thanks for a successful build on z370-e board with a Gtx1050 and 8700k.
This rig had to be whisper quiet. Used the hybrid prime seasonic 750w , msi 1050 noctua nh-d15 , nanoxia deep silence 1 case. really impressive silence for a home studio.

It took me a couple of tries to get past the installer that said OS X could not be installed on my hardware but without changing anything it worked finally.
I had to figure out why two pci slots were not working and found a bios switch that chooses between front usb3.1 and pci 2 and 4. Apart from that everything worked and I haven't experienced the 10.13.3 nvidia lag . I set a mild overclock with the bios wizard since I wasn't quite ready to delid the cpu. I still get 6200 /30000 geekbench which is more than my dual e5-2699v4 Xeon I built a year ago and cost 2k in cpu alone

Still need to figure out the usb 15 port limit or be lazy and hope for 10.13.4.
Thanks again to pastrychef for really delivering a thorough guide and having the patience to answer all the questions.

Last edited:
Nothing in particular , just wanted to say thanks for a successful build on z370-e board with a Gtx1050 and 8700k.
This rig had to be whisper quiet. Used the hybrid prime seasonic 750w , msi 1050 noctua nh-d15 , nanoxia deep silence 1 case. really impressive silence for a home studio.

It took me a couple of tries to get past the installer that said OS X could not be installed on my hardware but without changing anything it worked finally.
I had to figure out why two pci slots were not working and found a bios switch that chooses between front usb3.1 and pci 2 and 4. Apart from that everything worked and I haven't experienced the 10.13.3 nvidia lag . I set a mild overclock with the bios wizard since I wasn't quite ready to delid the cpu. I still get 6200 /30000 geekbench which is more than my dual e5-2699v4 Xeon I built a year ago and cost 2k in cpu alone

Still need to figure out the usb 15 port limit or be lazy and hope for 10.13.4.
Thanks again to pastrychef for really delivering a thorough guide and having the patience to answer all the questions.

Wow. I never knew that users had to choose between two PCI-e slots and the USB3.1 ports. This may be an important clue as to why some users have been experiencing "the lag". I believe it's also an indication of how the PCI lanes are really taxed on motherboards with lots of features.

Thanks for the followup!!

Yeah I’ll give that a shot. It’s definitely weird....searched high and low for anyone with the same issues. Might try to make a new installer if I can’t get it to work. Thanks!
Got a chance to test it out with a new mouse. Worked just fine!! Happy that problem is solved. I did run into another one pretty quickly though.

I boot up from my High Sierra Installer, get to the macOS utilities page and select "install macOS". I think everything seems to work just fine. It shows a progress bar and minutes remaining. The install is super quick however (like 1 minute tops) which leaves me feeling suspicious. Once the progress bar is complete the computer reboots itself. This is where I run into my issue. From all the directions I have read it is at this step where the computer should reboot into the newly installed macOS and not back into clover? This is what my screen looks like after the auto reboot:

IMG_1827.JPG IMG_1828.JPG
If I click on the hard drive icon with the apple logo I get this:
IMG_1829.JPG

It's acting like I'm trying to install the OS again?? Confused here. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Back