Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Please. I haven't updated to any driver version successfully yet; last I tried web.nvidia.com was down. :(

Please. I haven't updated to any driver version successfully yet; last I tried web.nvidia.com was down. :(

If you are still on macOS 10.13.2, you can just do the following...
  1. Go to /Library/Extensions/.
  2. Copy NVDAStartupWeb.kext to your desktop.
  3. Right-click the NVDAStartupWeb.kext that's on your desktop and select Show Package Contents.
  4. Open the Contents folder.
  5. Open the info.plist with Xcode or PlistEdit Pro.
  6. Go to /IOKitPersonalities/NVDAStartup/.
  7. Look for NVDARequiredOS and change its value to 17D47.
  8. Save.
  9. Use KextBeast to install NVDAStartupWeb.kext back to /Library/Extensions/.
  10. Install macOS 10.13.3 update.

I'm on 10.13.3 and my graphics went into slow & lowres mode due to incompatible nvidia web drivers after the upgrade.

I expected to have working nVidia web drivers post-upgrade (b/c that's what's posted on TM) ... we should add a note that the graphics drivers essentially don't work.

I'll give that a shot - I assume I can do it now, post upgrade, too?

I'm on 10.13.3 and my graphics went into slow & lowres mode due to incompatible nvidia web drivers after the upgrade.

I expected to have working nVidia web drivers post-upgrade (b/c that's what's posted on TM) ... we should add a note that the graphics drivers essentially don't work.

I'll give that a shot - I assume I can do it now, post upgrade, too?

If you are still on Nvidia web driver version 378.10.10.10.25.104, the above procedure will work.

If you are on Nvidia web driver version 387.10.10.10.25.156, you will need to reinstall the older version first.

Thanks again :)

Last edited:
Nice build description! It deserves it's own thread.

Yes, due to the placement of the rear fan, I had to shave off a piece of the fan housing too. Although, you did a much cleaner job than I. Lol. Mine is an utter massacre.

You only need the .aml file to be in your /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/ folder. The .dsl is just there for your reference and if you ever need/want to change anything. Also, the proper name for the file should be SSDT-USB.aml when you put it in to the patched folder.

I never had to delete any files when setting up iMessage.

1. Yes, you can just activate XMP in BIOS.
  2. In post #1, I have a link to a YouTube video that I followed for overclocking and it worked well for me. The only thing I want to add to the video is the AVX offset does not seem to work right with macOS. I ended up setting it to 0.
  3. CSM can be set to enabled or disabled. Some devices (PCI-e cards, etc) work better with it enabled. Disabling it will allow Clover (and, consequently, macOS even without Nvidia web drivers) to boot in to your monitor's native resolution. Try both to see which works best for you.
  4. Read through the directions. If you are comfortable with the procedure, I would say do it. Native NVRAM brings with it a few important advantages.

Thanks Pastrichef !
Yeah, if you think it'd be good I'll try to get the time to post it into its own thread.

I did change the name of the .aml as you indicated, but forgot to write it down, I must edit that step into my "timeline". :thumbup:

OC
I seem to be having some kind pop trouble with my RAM, following the video first step of enabling XMP and selecting RAM profile render the rig unbootable, had to unplug it, enter the BIOS again.
Bios wouldn't recognize the 3200 speed of my RAM.
The problem repeated all morning, :banghead: I managed to boot at some point after having uploaded the 5G default profile, and then setting the rest of values as in the video but for the SDRAM voltage which I did try on auto instead of 1.350. But the system would crash after a while running Geekbench4. Might it be some kind of incompatibility? Ram model was checked on the Asus site though.

I have finally set it with XMP disabled and I have loaded the 5G profile, touched nothing else and the rig seems to be running stable now although bios says RAM speed is 2133 and "about this Mac" says 3200 :crazy:

CSM enabled would give me distorted display for BIOS and boot sequence, normal in OS; so I have set it back to DISABLED.

NVRAM I need to try later, need to work a bit now.

Cosmetic question: Is it possible to have the right cpu id in "about this Mac"

:) Geekbench as raised after the 5Gh default OC in spite of the RAM issue.

OC_5G.png

Last edited:
Thanks Pastrichef !
Yeah, if you think it'd be good I'll try to get the time to post it into its own thread.

I did change the name of the .aml as you indicated, but forgot to write it down, I must edit that step into my "timeline". :thumbup:

OC
I seem to be having some kind pop trouble with my RAM, following the video first step of enabling XMP and selecting RAM profile render the rig unbootable, had to unplug it, enter the BIOS again.
Bios wouldn't recognize the 3200 speed of my RAM.
The problem repeated all morning, :banghead: I managed to boot at some point after having uploaded the 5G default profile, and then setting the rest of values as in the video but for the SDRAM voltage which I did try on auto instead of 1.350. But the system would crash after a while running Geekbench4. Might it be some kind of incompatibility? Ram model was checked on the Asus site though.

I have finally set it with XMP disabled and I have loaded the 5G profile, touched nothing else and the rig seems to be running stable now although bios says RAM speed is 2133 and "about this Mac" says 3200 :crazy:

CSM enabled would give me distorted display for BIOS and boot sequence, normal in OS; so I have set it back to DISABLED.

NVRAM I need to try later, need to work a bit now.

Cosmetic question: Is it possible to have the right cpu id in "about this Mac"

:) Geekbench as raised after the 5Gh default OC in spite of the RAM issue.

If the RAM does not working at its advertised speed, you can probably return/exchange them.

Just Google around for "how to edit About This Mac". It's purely cosmetic and I just never bothered with it...

Last edited:
If the RAM does not work at its advertised speed, you can probably return/exchange them.

Just Google around for "how to edit About This Mac". It's purely cosmetic and I just never bothered with it...

Thanks, I was starting to think about sending it back to Amazon and maybe getting a 3400 instead.

I'll google that.

EDIT: I just run Cinebench. Results seem pretty OK to me, don't they? :thumbup:

CINEBENCH_R15_01.png

Last edited:
I just tested out my front headphone jack and it's working. You can try the following to get it enabled on your build:

1. Mount your EFI partition.
  2. Go to your /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/ folder and delete the AppleALC.kext.
  3. Download MultiBeast.
  4. Launch MultiBeast.
  5. Click on "Drivers" on the top of the MultiBeast window.
  6. Select:
  7. View attachment 307029Click Build at the top of the MultiBeast window.
  8. Reboot.

Also, I updated post #40 with a link to a pigtail antenna with longer cable.
I tried this audio MultiBeast choices for MyHero II's 1220A chipset. No joy! On another fresh install, I used the 100/200/300 Series Audio Support on the first run of MultiBeast (w/o the ALC1220A) as MacMan has recommended; then the 2nd run, just selecting the ALC1220A. That procedure didn't work, either. So, I'm stuck to figure what is wrong with the MultiBeast audio configuration for MyHero II.

I tried this audio MultiBeast choices for MyHero II's 1220A chipset. No joy! On another fresh install, I used the 100/200/300 Series Audio Support on the first run of MultiBeast (w/o the ALC1220A) as MacMan has recommended; then the 2nd run, just selecting the ALC1220A. That procedure didn't work, either. So, I'm stuck to figure what is wrong with the MultiBeast audio configuration for MyHero II.

I don't know what else to try other than to make sure you have the HDAS to HDEF rename in config.plist...

Back