Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

pastrychef, I noticed that you didn't show any changes in the BIOS section, Extreme Tweaker (Post #1). (I'm setting up my Z370 X HERO.) Since the default memory frequency is 2133MHz, didn't you have to set
Extreme Tweaker > AI Overclocker Tuner > X.M.P.
Extreme Tweaker > Extreme Tweaking > Enable​
as we did with our GENE's? My memory is 2400MHz.

pastrychef, I noticed that you didn't show any changes in the BIOS section, Extreme Tweaker (Post #1). (I'm setting up my Z370 X HERO.) Since the default memory frequency is 2133MHz, didn't you have to set
Extreme Tweaker > AI Overclocker Tuner > X.M.P.
Extreme Tweaker > Extreme Tweaking > Enable​
as we did with our GENE's? My memory is 2400MHz.

I left out the XMP section because I felt that was part of overclocking. But, yes, I did enable it so that my RAM could run at it's advertised speed.

Hi @pastrychef
thanks a lot for your great build and the effort to document all of your work. Really appreciate it. I am new to all of this hackintosh thing and finally made the decision to build my first hackintosh. Currently I am running a decent Mac Pro 2010 with 2 E5620, R9 380, Samsung SSD blade and 16GB of RAM, in it. It is not bad but not as good as I want it to be. I want to speed up my workflow with Adobe Software and Cinema4D and kind of came up with a very similar build to this you shown up here. Budgetwise I am a little bit more limited to less ram and a 1070 Ti but all in all it points into the same direction.

I don't know wether my question fits here and if not, i am very sorry but I just want to know if building this hackintosh really gets me into the speed dimension I imagine right now. Currently I am really disappointed by my rendering times and scrolling through and working with big image databases in Lightroom or CaptureOne. Also I really want to have some thing I can work on for some years and I do not expect my Mac Pro to be future proof any longer. I am assuming that now it is the last moment to sell this bad boy while getting something out of it. Next year maybe Apple will bring out a new Mac Pro which would be really harming the price tags for the older machines (Even when Apples Machine will cost over 10 grand).

So to sum up my question a little: I saw the Cinebench and other benchmarking numbers just for the 8700K in comparison to my E5620 for example. 780 points to 1500 points and I do not really actually know what this means for actual "feelable" performance. I am not that thrilled of my single core performance as well because all Adobe software rely on this but I also want to have better rendering times in Cinema. Do you think a setup like yours would get me the productivity i am looking for?

I would be really thankful for an answer by any of you guys! Thanks a lot and a wonderful Christmas time to all of you!

Hey @rahzah,
I´ve faced the same issue and done a lot of research - and here is my short take on this.
(If you need more info, I suggest opening a new thread in the relevant forum, so we don´t hijack this thread).

• As suggested; check Puget Systems´ tests. They are highly informative and useful.

• You will feel an increase in performance DEPENDING on the type of work you do.
- If you do a lot of raytracing in C4D or similar, or if you need the use of CUDA cores I suggest getting a powerful NVIDIA GPU.

- If you work with PP or AE most of the heavy lifting (both previews and rendering) is done by the CPU, so a fast CPU (like the 8700K) will give you significant boost compared to your current system. The GPU isn´t very important here.
- Again, which CPU is better for you depends on the specifics of your work. Some tasks benefit from more CPU cores, some don´t.

- AE can eat thru RAM quickly, so if you do a lot of AE work I suggest getting 32GB RAM. 64 GB is nice, but it´s probably overkill if you´re not doing AE all day long.

- If you´re not already using SSDs, I suggest upgrading to those since all video editing apps benefit significantly from the increased speed.

To sum it all up: it´s a bit like buying a car: A super sportscar might be the fastest unless you are driving in the desert.
It all depends on your specific needs.
I opted for a powerful GPU because I want my machine to be fast across a bunch of different tasks, from video editing to gaming.
The 8700K seems like the best deal currently when it comes to price/performance across a variety of tasks - but again; it´s not the best choice for certain specialized operations.

So, bottom line:
If you upgrade from your E5620 to a 8700K and get ample RAM (min 16GB), use SSDs and a Gtx 1070 you WILL feel a significant real-life performance boost across almost every single task you perform, probably mirroring the 780/1500 points CPU performance difference you referred to.
Again: How that translates to anything meaningful to you depends entirely on your type of work. If you do a lot of AE/PP/C4D rendering on relatively CPU heavy projects, you’ll save a LOT of time with an upgrade.
If you just once in a while render a random 10 sec 3D logo made in AE or C4D, the 30-50% render speed increase might only shave off 30 secs IRL compared to your old setup - and that might become a very expensive solution.
(Like getting a new heavy-duty truck for those few and random trips to pick up supplies at the hardware store.)

My advice to you: Focus on getting a powerful CPU and good CPU cooler, then RAM, and then GPU.
And most importantly: Think about your ACTUAL, real-life needs and workflow FIRST.
Hope this helps :)

Last edited:
Hey there. I have a similar system, but with a z370 E board. It is rock solid with 2x16 GB installed in (numbered from the CPU) slots 0 and 2. If I install things in 1, 3 it will not boot. I have seen others mention this as well.

However, if I install memory in all four slots, it will boot, but will eventually crash. The crash seems to be memory related, such as when it tries to actually touch that RAM.

I did increase the number of slots from 2 to 4 in the config, and I did hard-code the memory sticks in a manner similar to what you did. Without doing this, it would not find the additional memory. I have not tried just increasing the slot count without hard-coding the RAM.

In System Information, it finds the two sticks I currently have installed, and correctly identifies them as Corsair and the correct part number, and the correct speed (which doesn't match the package, but does match what the BIOS claims they are... strange!)

Do you have any suggestions on what I could to do make those other two slots work properly?

Hey there. I have a similar system, but with a z370 E board. It is rock solid with 2x16 GB installed in (numbered from the CPU) slots 0 and 2. If I install things in 1, 3 it will not boot. I have seen others mention this as well.

However, if I install memory in all four slots, it will boot, but will eventually crash. The crash seems to be memory related, such as when it tries to actually touch that RAM.

I did increase the number of slots from 2 to 4 in the config, and I did hard-code the memory sticks in a manner similar to what you did. Without doing this, it would not find the additional memory. I have not tried just increasing the slot count without hard-coding the RAM.

In System Information, it finds the two sticks I currently have installed, and correctly identifies them as Corsair and the correct part number, and the correct speed (which doesn't match the package, but does match what the BIOS claims they are... strange!)

Do you have any suggestions on what I could to do make those other two slots work properly?

The only thing I have done is manually add in the RAM in to config.plist. As far as I can tell, macOS and apps now see and use all of the memory and the system has been rock solid. I have gone over 6 days of uptime before I had to restart.

Have you checked for BIOS updates? I updated the BIOS a little over a week ago and it seemed to help with stability with my overclocks. Since I updated, I have not had a single freeze/crash/panic.

Do you have XMP enabled in BIOS? Have you tried without XMP and RAM speeds set to something like 2400MHz or 2666MHz? Do you have XMP enabled in your config.plist (Boot section in Clover Configurator)? Is your CPU overclocked?

Thanks for the quick reply!

I'm currently not overclocking in any way; I want to get a system that I believe is stable as a baseline before I start fiddling around in unknown territory.

In the BIOS, XMP is disabled, and each of the 4 sticks comes up as 2133 Mhz, and the CPU as 3.7 Ghz. I assume this means I'm not pushing any limits; I'm rather new to modern PCs, having been more of a software guy for the last 10 years. I think the last PC build I did was about that long ago.

I have upgraded my BIOS to 0605, which seems to be the latest.

(update) I also verified in clover, I have "XMPDetection" set to "no"

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply!

I'm currently not overclocking in any way; I want to get a system that I believe is stable as a baseline before I start fiddling around in unknown territory.

In the BIOS, XMP is disabled, and each of the 4 sticks comes up as 2133 Mhz, and the CPU as 3.7 Ghz. I assume this means I'm not pushing any limits; I'm rather new to modern PCs, having been more of a software guy for the last 10 years. I think the last PC build I did was about that long ago.

I have upgraded my BIOS to 0605, which seems to be the latest.

(update) I also verified in clover, I have "XMPDetection" set to "no"

Yes, I also updated to BIOS 0605.

Yes, keeping stock speeds and not overclocking during testing helps to simplify troubleshooting.

I have XMP set to yes in my BIOS and config.plist.

I just tested my system without the manually entered RAM specs in to config.plist and here's what I observed:
  • iStat Menus seemed to recognize that my system has 64GB (4x16GB) of RAM.
  • About this Mac shows 32GB @ 3478MHz which means that at least XMP is working.
  • System Information shows Bank 0 and Bank 1 occupied.
Screen Shot 2017-12-25 at 3.41.13 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-12-25 at 3.41.28 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-12-25 at 3.41.58 AM.png

I can't even get osx to boot with all four sticks inserted. I'm going to run a memtest on the box over night with all four installed to ensure I don't have a hardware issue.

I'd not trust that your system identified 64 GB, since if I define all four sticks and boot, the system claims it has 64 GB, but if I try to use it (say with the homebrew "memtester" trying to allocate 40 GB) it will crash instantly. This also happens if I manage to get it to boot with all 4 sticks inserted and manually entering memory info; it seems to not be properly mapping it into the CPU's MMU in some way.

Update: if I enable XMP in the BIOS and Clover, when the system boots, the RAM is listed as it's max (3000 Mhz) and the part number and manufacturer are correctly read. This is for 2 sticks; I still can't get past a failure to boot with all four installed with or without the memory's configuration in place, although I've not tried with 4 sticks and XMP on.

I can't even get osx to boot with all four sticks inserted. I'm going to run a memtest on the box over night with all four installed to ensure I don't have a hardware issue.

I'd not trust that your system identified 64 GB, since if I define all four sticks and boot, the system claims it has 64 GB, but if I try to use it (say with the homebrew "memtester" trying to allocate 40 GB) it will crash instantly. This also happens if I manage to get it to boot with all 4 sticks inserted and manually entering memory info; it seems to not be properly mapping it into the CPU's MMU in some way.

To test if the system actually REALLY sees and uses all 64GB, I set up a 50GB RAM disk as per directions here. Then, I copied a 45GB Blu-ray image to it and I currently have the Blu-ray playing in VLC from the RAM disk as I type this.

Screen Shot 2017-12-25 at 5.03.47 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-12-25 at 5.08.52 AM.png

Btw, this is the first time I've experience memory swapping with 64GB and there's a noticeable lagginess.

Back