Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

I'm following the discussion with very interest. So i'd like post 2 question about the other z370 mATX:
ASRock Z370M Pro4, Gigabyte Z370M D3H, MSI Z370M GAMING PRO AC i noticed they are without WIfi ngff card a part MSI but is full of USB Type A and no 3.1. Is it more hackintoshable(XD) the asus for you or there is somenthing else apart the higher price :-D? And Did u enable the type A? I see you remapping well by your pic u posted but no about that. Sorry for several questions but it's christmas time for hackintosh gift lol.

I looked at those motherboards too. Here are my observations:

ASRock Z370M Pro4
10 Power Phase VRM
No USB 3.1 Gen 2
No M.2 Wi-Fi/Bluetooth
No DisplayPort

Gigabyte Z370M Gaming PRO AC
Weak VRM
No USB 3.1 Gen 2
No M.2 Wi-Fi/Bluetooth
No DisplayPort

MSI Z370M
USB 3.1 Gen 2 ports
M.2 Wi-Fi/Bluetooth

4x SATA

Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (Wi-Fi AC)
USB 3.1 Gen 2 ports
M.2 Wi-Fi/Bluetooth
DisplayPort
6x SATA

My second choice would have been the MSI. The only weak point I saw was 2 fewer SATA ports compared to the other. This is something I could have easily rectified with a PCI-e card.

When mapping out the USB ports, we don't have to worry about mapping the USB 3.1 Gen 2. The USB 3.1 Gen 2 ports are working fine on my build.

Last edited:
Thank you for this guide, are you experiencing lags/stutters with your Nvidia GPU?
I researched a lot about Nvidia stutters and lags in Hacks, ultimately finding out the problem is in Hardware accelerated applications like Chrome,Spotify.

Do you encounter lags/stutters while using these apps and simultaneously: Switching spaces, Scrolling etc ?
my only solution was switching to a natively supported AMD gpu, which works substantially smoother.
Everything else works, got a fully working DSDT

Thank you for this guide, are you experiencing lags/stutters with your Nvidia GPU?
I researched a lot about Nvidia stutters and lags in Hacks, ultimately finding out the problem is in Hardware accelerated applications like Chrome,Spotify.

Do you encounter lags/stutters while using these apps and simultaneously: Switching spaces, Scrolling etc ?
my only solution was switching to a natively supported AMD gpu, which works substantially smoother.
Everything else works, got a fully working DSDT

I don't use Chrome or Spotify, but I have not noticed any substantial lags/stutters. Scrolling is smooth. Sometimes when I have a Safari window in full screen mode and close the window, it lags a little but nothing drastic.

I just saw another post from a guy complaining about graphics lag when viewing YouTube videos and going from a window to full screen mode. This is also smooth for me.

I don't use a DSDT.aml file for my build. Everything seems absolutely fine.

I'll be building the same rig within the next week or so and I do use both Chrome and Spotify. I'll update this thread and let you know if I'm experiencing any lag/stutters. Picked up the z370, 8700k, G.Skillz ram, SSD today. The case and hdd come in tomorrow and the remaining parts get here on Monday!

Very nice build description. I've decided to get the ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z370 X HERO (non WiFi/BT version) with a i7 K processor, and I'll use either my Gigabyte 1060 or Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB graphics card (works OOB). So, you got the mATX GENE Club covered, and I'll continue with the HERO Club.

However, I can't wait for 2018 as Intel will drop charging royalty fees for Thunderbolt. So, we'll see more motherboards with Thunderbolt 3 chipsets. :thumbup:

Do you plan to make a guide using that mobo? I am planning to get back to hackintosh and that mobo and cpu seem to be a really nice combo :)

Thanks.

Do you plan to make a guide using that mobo? I am planning to get back to hackintosh and that mobo and cpu seem to be a really nice combo :)

Thanks.

Other than the USB port mapping, I think everything from the first post of this thread should be relevant for the Hero too.

I just saw another post from a guy complaining about graphics lag when viewing YouTube videos and going from a window to full screen mode. This is also smooth for me.

This was me :) I was repurposing my old GTX 770 that was working fine in it's previous Z87 build with native support. For some reason hardware acceleration was not working with this build. I ended up installing nvidia web drivers and noticed at that time that I did not have emulated NVRAM (EmuVariableUefi-64.efi) installed either. Not sure which one it was but it's working now.

I will write another build description for the Z370 X HERO like I did for MyHero (see link below in signature block). However, let's not hijack pastrychef's thread. :thumbup:

Back