Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

After a few more tries, I'm sure it's not a (pure) USB issue. When the machine comes back from sleep, I can move the mouse cursor around for a few seconds, and then the whole machine freezes until reset (clock is stuck etc.). So it seems like something related to waking from sleep is different than before, given that it worked perfectly with 10.15.3 and the previous (pre-5107) EFI.

Can you try without WhateverGreen? Just remove WhateverGreen from /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/. After removing WhateverGreen, only two of the video out ports will work on your RX 580. You will have to find out which one works via trial and error.

Motherboard has finally arrived. Hopefully this one is not a dud too!

Will get cracking on with this and will post back soon. Going to install windows first to ensure the Motherboard works correctly

Can you try without WhateverGreen? Just remove WhateverGreen from /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/. After removing WhateverGreen, only two of the video out ports will work on your RX 580. You will have to find out which one works via trial and error.

There's some truth in that. It was quite a dark journey without WhateverGreen, as far as the display is concerned. HDMI was brave enough to shed some light. Yet, when the machine slept and then waked, it hung itself. I for sure now know I wouldn't want to do it without WhateverGreen, but maybe there is something else to try?

There's some truth in that. It was quite a dark journey without WhateverGreen, as far as the display is concerned. HDMI was brave enough to shed some light. Yet, when the machine slept and then waked, it hung itself. I for sure now know I wouldn't want to do it without WhateverGreen, but maybe there is something else to try?

What you described sounded exactly like what I was experiencing with macOS 10.15.4. It would wake up but it would be frozen. The only way out was to press the reset button. Upon reboot, I got a kernel panic log showing that the freeze was caused by HDMI audio.

Since WhateverGreen is responsible for HDMI/DisplayPort audio, I disabled WhateverGreen and everything was fine.
Screen Shot 2020-04-04 at 12.33.12 PM.png

The only thing that I lost when disabling WhateverGreen was two out of the four video out ports.

@pastrychef, before posting another thread I'd ask here. This new motherboard has unfortunately got a missing pin on it's USB 3 internal header, and as they're so rare to find, do you know of a USB-3 PCI-E card that has an internal header so I can get the front panel USB-3 ports working.

EDIT: Read on MacRumors that the Inatek KT-4006 should work fine as it has native OS X drivers. Also has an internal header.

@pastrychef, before posting another thread I'd ask here. This new motherboard has unfortunately got a missing pin on it's USB 3 internal header, and as they're so rare to find, do you know of a USB-3 PCI-E card that has an internal header so I can get the front panel USB-3 ports working.

Which pin is missing? It's normal for one pin to be missing.

58d968bc88f14_usb3.0.jpg.0a23d6e4853db9bdbf5bb7b60938f360.jpg
UUDIY000200_3.jpg

Which pin is missing? It's normal for one pin to be missing.

View attachment 459601View attachment 459602
Unfortunately one of the pins was bent and when I tried to move it back into place, it came off

It’s not the end of the world, just makes life easier having usb 3 at the front. I’ll get the installation etc sorted and will then get that usb - 3 card I posted above as people are saying it works natively and also has an internal header

I've been trying to switch SMB
Yes, every time it’s switched on, it crashes. When off, either definition works.

So I'm making one more attempt at getting SMBIOS 19,1 to work on my system.

The issue has been that every time the iGPU is switched on in BIOS, my system crashes/restarts. I'm using the same EFI from this post along with nearly the same hardware. My current 1,1 definition works fine (iGPU disabled) except Final Cut Pro has render issues for things like H265.

Part of my issue is that I'm not clear how to trace the problem. But here are some clues I have so far:

(see attachments)
Problem Report says "panic(cpu 6 caller 0xffffff7f9b8966ad): "Unsupported GraphicsSchedulerSelect=2\n"@skl/IntelAccelerator.cpp:2070"

and during boot it says
GPU = GFX0 unknownPlatform (no matching vendor_id+device id)

Now I'm not even sure I'm on the right track but seems like this would be related.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-04 at 12.20.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-04 at 12.20.42 PM.png
    579.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0213.jpeg
    IMG_0213.jpeg
    1,007.1 KB · Views: 49
  • config.plist
    12.2 KB · Views: 62
@pastrychef. Thanks to your Z390G EFI folder, I was able to get to the installation screen (the Z370G EFI folder didn't work for some reason).

Quick weird question though. Only the top 2 USB 3 ports are working? This is even in the BIOS environment? I've removed the BIOS battery etc but for some weird reason, only 2 USB ports are working. Any ideas?

EDIT: I've installed windows and in device manager, under USB, the 'USB xHCI Complaint Host Controller' is showing as error. I've downloaded the latest drivers but it's still coming up as a problem? Is this indicative of a hardware fault again?

Last edited:
Unfortunately one of the pins was bent and when I tried to move it back into place, it came off

It’s not the end of the world, just makes life easier having usb 3 at the front. I’ll get the installation etc sorted and will then get that usb - 3 card I posted above as people are saying it works natively and also has an internal header

Even if one pin broke off, the other USB port should still work.

If you want, you can always use a PCI-e card to regain the lost port.

Back