Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Hi pastrychef, that's exactly what I'm looking at doing for my G5 case!. I'm going to upgrade the board and start from there. I was looking through User builds deciding between 390 and 370, and keeping an eye on prices. One question though, I read about Wifi problems with motherboards that have it on board. Is that just a 390 issue?, or is it an issue with 370 as well?. I'm looking at an m ATX board with m.2 slot. Also does NVMe boot from these boards?.

Z390 motherboards that have CNVi slots for a Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card may or may not work with non-CNVi Wi-Fi/Bluetooth cards. I don't know which motherboards work and which don't.

Z370 motherboards that have an M.2 (E-key) slot for Wi-Fi/Bluetooth cards will work with macOS compatible Wi-Fi/Bluetooth cards. In every instance that I've seen, Wi-Fi/Bluetooth cards included with Z370 motherboards have to be swapped out for macOS compatible ones on Z370. Please see this post for more info.

As far as I know, all Z170 and newer motherboards will have NVMe slots and all can be used to boot macOS from.

Have you tried with Legacy USB support disabled in BIOS?

Also, please try scottkendall's suggestion.

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED! Now onto post-installation and will report ASAP.

---------

Asrock Z390 phantom gaming ITX
Bios Ver.: 1.6

The Legacy USB support disabled on this board would cause keyboard and mouse to no response, clear CMOS with the back button solved the issue.

According to @scottkendall suggestion I went over the whole thread: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/mojave-on-asrock-z390-phantom-gaming-itx-ac.265245/

First I tried adding the Fix AsRock Z390 BIOS DSDT Device(RTC) bug with Text mode in Clover Configurator, but would still stuck on the same IO error and prohibited sign.

Then I tried @d3mone EFI folder from #21 https://github.com/bydavy/EFI-ASRock-Z390-Phantom-Gaming and booted successfully in to the High Sierra install once again, but still none of the PCIe m2 nor SATA HDD showed in the Disk Utility.

- Windows 10 Partitioning -

Not sure where I read about raw allocation not recognize by High Sierra (since I scorched through nearly all related threads), I then moved on to Windows 10 and partitioned the Intel 760p PCIe m2 512g into NTFS format.

Then, once again boot into High Sierra install with d3mone's EFI mentioned above. The PCIe m2 showed up normally in Disk Utility. Erase the disk into MacOS Journaled GUID, back to install High Sierra, within 2 mins phase 1 ends. Reboot to finish phase 2 of the install which took about 10-15 mins. Reboot into the High Sierra successfully.

Will work on post-installation and report soon, might start a new thread later.

Shout out to @pastrychef @CaseySJ @rj510 @scottkendall @d3mone !

If anyone still looking to build a Z370 system, NewEgg still has a good selection at reasonable prices. These are brand new motherboards, not used, refurbished, or second hand.

View attachment 417690

In my experience, Z370 is MUCH easier to build a hackintosh around. The only major advantage Z390 has over Z370 is support for 128GB of RAM.

Seeing as how most Z390 users only seem to have success booting in to macOS with OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 on Z390 and how its developer warned against using it, Z370 makes even more sense now.

Search Google for apianti's (Cover dev and author of this Aptio fix) warning about using his OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.
View attachment 417692

I have to say the z370 was the easiest build yet. I'm surprised it works as well as it does considering my last two Hacks. A big part is your forum and work here.

For others considering an upgrade, definitely 2nd the above suggestions. Bought the Prime A II. Supports the 9900K out of the box, has USB C, and support for Thunderbolt (optional; I haven't tried yet). The NVMe lanes aren't shared with SATA so you have more storage expansion. Also recommend the BCM94360CS2 WiFi bluetooth card w/ a PCI-E x1 Adapter. Works great, no hassles. I used to get bluetooth interference when using my old Fenvi card...my Apple mouse, keyboard, and Airpods constant had dropout issues. The new card seems to have solved all that.

Been in the sea-trials phase right now testing the system and so far, it's really solid.

Looking on Amazon, the Gigabyte H370M D3H seems to be at a good price and ticks the boxes connectivity wise. Are these boards a good choice?, Used ones are going for around $60-$70. It says Ultra Durable on the box so is it safe to say a used one should be ok?.

Looking on Amazon, the Gigabyte H370M D3H seems to be at a good price and ticks the boxes connectivity wise. Are these boards a good choice?, Used ones are going for around $60-$70. It says Ultra Durable on the box so is it safe to say a used one should be ok?.

I have never tried H370 and I'm afraid of used motherboards.

@pastrychef The backup finished and following backups are also completing without issues. I've stress tested the machne, even tried playing some steam games, so far so good - fast, no stuttering, rock solid network and BT :) Thanks for your help, seems like the 15-usb-ports thing was caused all these weird things for me!

As far as I know, all Z170 and newer motherboards will have NVMe slots and all can be used to boot macOS from.

Mine Z170A system was using OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000, till I saw your post... I swiped it out but it seems like booting is inconsistently when using aptiofix2 - when using aptiofix or aptiofix3 it does not seem to boot at all.

Mine Z170A system was using OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000, till I saw your post... I swiped it out but it seems like booting is inconsistently when using aptiofix2 - when using aptiofix or aptiofix3 it does not seem to boot at all.

Try adding "slide=0" boot argument with AptioMemoryFix or OsxAptioFix3Drv.

I just went through this...
Do yourself a favor and do not buy used motherboards.

I sent back 3 of them to Amazon. Most of the problems were bent CPU pins. I don’t think they really check them. It waisted a lot of time.

You just don’t know what someone before you did and why they returned it.

The 4th board was new and it worked out of the box.

Back