Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

I've seen a few other Z390 users with working NVRAM but I don't know what actually triggers it to work... Do you know which release of AptioMemoryFix you are using?

I downloaded the AptioFixPkg R27 directly from GitHub.

Sorry, I got excited too quick. I'm was able to replace the frowned upon OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi with AptioMemoryFix.efi, but emulated NVRAM is still needed with EmuVariableUefi.efi and RC scripts (on my Z390 at least). Just glad this is the case as the dev just put out an interesting PSA on using the -free2000 version.

Yes, after you install the SSDT or kext, disable those KextsToPatches.

If you are using the SSDT, you need to keep USBInjectAll.

If you are using the kext, delete USBInjectAll.

So I end up with this:
Screen Shot 2019-07-20 at 3.27.08 PM.png

Looks correct, right?

I wish this tool was around the first time I tried this. So much easier.

Sorry, I got excited too quick. I'm was able to replace the frowned upon OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi with AptioMemoryFix.efi, but emulated NVRAM is still needed with EmuVariableUefi.efi and RC scripts (on my Z390 at least). Just glad this is the case as the dev just put out an interesting PSA on using the -free2000 version.

Yes, I saw apianti's post. It certainly throws a wrench in things... Lots of people have reported being unable to boot macOS with any of the other Aptio fixes...

I'm really in no hurry to move to Z390. The only real reason for me to switch would be if/when I need/want 128GB of RAM.

Changed to a different slot and booted into install (with some errors running quickly). Now the PCIe m2 drive is not found from the install nor the disk utility.

Tired with not only PCIe m2 drive but also a SATA HDD, boot and see both in Bios, but none shown in Disk Utility except for the usb pendrive.

(Also, the clover menu changes to different theme each time, cool : O! )

@pastrychef I did a few tries with the new EFI you provided with the following hardware combinations:

1. PCIe m2 (raw) only - Boot into High Sierra installer but only USB Pendrive remains in Disk Utility
2. PCIe m2 (raw) + SATA HDD (raw) - Boot into High Sierra installer but only USB Pendrive remains in Disk Utility
3. PCIe m2 (raw) + SATA HDD (HFS) - Stuck in "setPowerState()" or other state then crash with prohibited sign
4. PCIe m2 (raw) only - Stuck in "setPowerState()" most often

The USB stick seems to be 'contaminated after the 3rd step with a pre-formated drive attached to SATA. I'm rebuilding a new install drive with the Terminal method you suggested and will try with your EFI later.

Attachments

• 7ADBB54C-3C83-4B66-B0E0-96AFB9C39174.jpeg
    7ADBB54C-3C83-4B66-B0E0-96AFB9C39174.jpeg
    6.9 MB · Views: 72
  • 9BE9DF69-034A-45E2-8292-4C7963EC85E0.jpeg
    9BE9DF69-034A-45E2-8292-4C7963EC85E0.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 65
@pastrychef I did a few tries with the new EFI you provided with the following hardware combinations:

1. PCIe m2 (raw) only - Boot into High Sierra installer but only USB Pendrive remains in Disk Utility
2. PCIe m2 (raw) + SATA HDD (raw) - Boot into High Sierra installer but only USB Pendrive remains in Disk Utility
3. PCIe m2 (raw) + SATA HDD (HFS) - Stuck in "setPowerState()" or other state then crash with prohibited sign
4. PCIe m2 (raw) only - Stuck in "setPowerState()" most often

The usb stick seems to be 'contaminated after the 3rd step with a pre-formated drive attached to SATA. I'm rebuilding a new install drive with the Terminal method you suggested and will try with your EFI later.

@pastrychef As you suggested, I double checked the BIOS setting and the XHCI hand-off is enabled indeed. As for ioapic 24-119 entries is not found through out the BIOS.

What I've tried:

1. The same USB stick and slot that booted into High Sierra install - Failed in "setPowerState()" or "IOUSBHostDevice@..."
2. The same USB stick with 7 other slots - Failed in "setPowerState()" or "IOUSBHostDevice@..."
3. Newly made USB stick with Terminal and the EFI you uploaded yesterday - "setPowerState()" or "IOUSBHostDevice@..."

Is there any way to work around this? I've tried with different USB keyboards as well and results the same.

Attachments

• IMG_6912.JPG
    IMG_6912.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0689.JPG
    IMG_0689.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 75
  • IMG_9940.JPG
    IMG_9940.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 71
  • IMG_1335.JPG
    IMG_1335.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_1571.JPG
    IMG_1571.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 62
@pastrychef As you suggested, I double checked the BIOS setting and the XHCI hand-off is enabled indeed. As for ioapic 24-119 entries is not found through out the BIOS.

What I've tried:

1. The same USB stick and slot that booted into High Sierra install - Failed in "setPowerState()" or "IOUSBHostDevice@..."
2. The same USB stick with 7 other slots - Failed in "setPowerState()" or "IOUSBHostDevice@..."
3. Newly made USB stick with Terminal and the EFI you uploaded yesterday - "setPowerState()" or "IOUSBHostDevice@..."

Is there any way to work around this? I've tried with different USB keyboards as well and results the same.

Have you tried with Legacy USB support disabled in BIOS?

Also, please try scottkendall's suggestion.

If anyone still looking to build a Z370 system, NewEgg still has a good selection at reasonable prices. These are brand new motherboards, not used, refurbished, or second hand.

Screen Shot 2019-07-21 at 6.45.18 AM.png

In my experience, Z370 is MUCH easier to build a hackintosh around. The only major advantage Z390 has over Z370 is support for 128GB of RAM.

Seeing as how most Z390 users only seem to have success booting in to macOS with OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 on Z390 and how its developer warned against using it, Z370 makes even more sense now.

Search Google for apianti's (Cover dev and author of this Aptio fix) warning about using his OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.
Screen Shot 2019-07-21 at 6.59.33 AM.png

Last edited:
If anyone still looking to build a Z370 system, NewEgg still has a good selection at reasonable prices. These are brand new motherboards, not used, refurbished, or second hand. In my experience, Z370 is MUCH easier to build a hackintosh around. The only major advantage Z390 has over Z370 is support for 128GB of RAM.
Hi pastrychef, that's exactly what I'm looking at doing for my G5 case!. I'm going to upgrade the board and start from there. I was looking through User builds deciding between 390 and 370, and keeping an eye on prices. One question though, I read about Wifi problems with motherboards that have it on board. Is that just a 390 issue?, or is it an issue with 370 as well?. I'm looking at an m ATX board with m.2 slot. Also does NVMe boot from these boards?.

Back