Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Hello @pastrychef,

I built this build about a year ago now and it's been rock-solid, so thank you for that. The only difference is I went with the 580 instead of the Vega. After not updating it (I built it when 10.13.4 was current), I now have the need to update it to at least 10.13.6 and potentially current Mojave.

I made a backup of my boot drive with CCC and attempted to update to 10.13.6 through App Store. OS X says it would reboot and install the update, so I click Reboot. Apps close, Finder closes, and the GUI goes away and it stops at a black screen with a mouse cursor, which I can move, and stays there forever. If I press any key on the keyboard OS X plays the error sound. The computer continues to run; I can ssh into it but running top and fs_usage shows that just normal daemon processes are running like mds, lsd, and backupd. It stays there as long as I leave it. If I reset the machine it'll just boot back into 10.13.4.

I downloaded the 10.13.6 Combo update. It runs an installer and then says it needs to reboot to finish installation. When I click Reboot the same thing happens, and resetting it boots back into 10.13.4.

I went so far as to download the Mojave installer and it does the exact same thing.

Did you ever run into this? Or is this a known issue with this build or with Hackintoshes in general? If I can't fix it, do you think I should just be able to format, install Mojave with Unibeast, and move your latest EFI over?

Thanks for the great build and any help you or others can provide.

You need to update the EFI folder.

1. Backup your current EFI folder to the EFI partition of your CCC clone.
  2. Replace the EFI folder you are currently using with EFI r4.5.3 attached to post #1.
  3. Upgrade to latest version of Mojave.
  4. Done.

You need to update the EFI folder.

1. Backup your current EFI folder to the EFI partition of your CCC clone.
  2. Replace the EFI folder you are currently using with EFI r4.5.3 attached to post #1.
  3. Upgrade to latest version of Mojave.
  4. Done.

Okay so, just so I make sure I understand, you think using 4.5.3 on the current installation of OS X might help it upgrade? I'll give it a try, thank you!

Okay so, just so I make sure I understand, you think using 4.5.3 on the current installation of OS X might help it upgrade? I'll give it a try, thank you!

You can use 5.0. That has newest kexts. But you should edit the config.plist to use iMac18,3 system definition. In fact, this would be better. You can go straight to macOS 10.14.4 via App Store.

You can use 5.0. That has newest kexts. But you should edit the config.plist to use iMac18,3 system definition. In fact, this would be better. You can go straight to macOS 10.14.4 via App Store.

I put 5.0 in my EFI, changed to Mac18,3. Clover loads but when it tries to boot OS X I get a circle-slash and the machine shuts off a couple of seconds later.

I put 5.0 in my EFI, changed to Mac18,3. Clover loads but when it tries to boot OS X I get a circle-slash and the machine shuts off a couple of seconds later.

Are you trying to boot to macOS 10.13.x? I haven't tried that with r5.0...

You can create a macOS 10.14.4 USB installer and boot to that. Then use it to install macOS 10.14.4 over your current system drive. You won't lose any data.

Are you trying to boot to macOS 10.13.x? I haven't tried that with r5.0...

You can create a macOS 10.14.4 USB installer and boot to that. Then use it to install macOS 10.14.4 over your current system drive. You won't lose any data.

Oh, okay. Will 4.5.3 boot 10.13.x? I would like to try updating to 10.13.6 first.

Oh, okay. Will 4.5.3 boot 10.13.x? I would like to try updating to 10.13.6 first.

It should... I stopped injecting IGPU ig-platform-id and device-id around 10.13.6 but it's needed for older versions of High Sierra. So, you may need to disable IGPU in BIOS to boot in to 10.13.x with r4.5.3. Once booted, you can edit config.plist to add ig-platform-id and device-id.

It should... I stopped injecting IGPU ig-platform-id and device-id around 10.13.6 but it's needed for older versions of High Sierra. So, you may need to disable IGPU in BIOS to boot in to 10.13.x with r4.5.3. Once booted, you can edit config.plist to add ig-platform-id and device-id.

It appears to boot but yeah, it's not showing anything on my dGPU.

I can't find where to disable the iGPU in the BIOS though. I may have to dig out an HDMI cable later and hook up a secondary monitor to see if my update issue is resolved. Thanks for getting me this far!

It appears to boot but yeah, it's not showing anything on my dGPU.

I can't find where to disable the iGPU in the BIOS though. I may have to dig out an HDMI cable later and hook up a secondary monitor to see if my update issue is resolved. Thanks for getting me this far!

When you get to updating, I highly recommend going to 10.14.4 unless you have a specific reason for staying on High Sierra. Mojave has been extremely solid.

When you get to updating, I highly recommend going to 10.14.4 unless you have a specific reason for staying on High Sierra. Mojave has been extremely solid.

I tried it on my 2015 MBP when it came out but my Time Machine backups to my Synology NAS stopped working and I couldn't make them work again no matter what I did. That's why I've avoided it (I've also had some health problems that occupied my time). If that's been addressed by 10.14.4 I might go to it, but that's why I'm concerned.

Back