Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Could they be called something else? Even hack tool did not show me them, maybe there is a setting in the bios to turn them on? The 3.1 ports work no issues :/

The USB 3.1 gen 2 ports are on an entirely separate controller so it's not surprising that it's working.

If the hack tool is not seeing the ports, there may be an issue with USBInjectAll and/or the 15 port limit patch. As far as I know, 10.14.3 didn't need a new patch...

Yes, it's supposed to work. I've tested it. Are you using the audio input at the rear of the computer or are you trying to use the connection from the motherboard headers? What does the input section of System Preferences > Sound look like?
I'm using the motherboard rear jack.
in System Preference/Sound/Input, there is only one option called internal microphone. However, it doesn't pick up my voice.

I'm using the motherboard rear jack.
in System Preference/Sound/Input, there is only one option called internal microphone. However, it doesn't pick up my voice.

Yes, I also only see Internal Microphone.

When I tested, the Mic In and Line In on the rear panel didn't work. Only the Mic In connected to the motherboard's Front Panel Audio Connector worked.

Yes, I also only see Internal Microphone.

When I tested, the Mic In and Line In on the rear panel didn't work. Only the Mic In connected to the motherboard's Front Panel Audio Connector worked.
OK, that's good to know. Thanks!

Hi @pastrychef My (your!) build is up and running fine here - thanks for all your hard work with this.

One small question about the microphone input. Have you ever tried that? I see "Internal microphone" in System Preferences > Sound > Input but my external mic doesn't generate any levels no matter what port I try plugging it into. Specifially I've tried the red port on the motherboard and the front-panel 3.5mm jack on the case. Audio out is fine

Any thoughts? The mic was unplugged from my original Hackintosh build where it works fine, so I'm pretty sure it's ok.

Thanks again,

Steve

Hi @pastrychef My (your!) build is up and running fine here - thanks for all your hard work with this.

One small question about the microphone input. Have you ever tried that? I see "Internal microphone" in System Preferences > Sound > Input but my external mic doesn't generate any levels no matter what port I try plugging it into. Specifially I've tried the red port on the motherboard and the front-panel 3.5mm jack on the case. Audio out is fine

Any thoughts? The mic was unplugged from my original Hackintosh build where it works fine, so I'm pretty sure it's ok.

Thanks again,

Steve

Yes. Please see two post above yours.

The front panel Mic In works fine for me.

@pastrychef d'oh! What are the chances of that? Me posting a sound-input question and two posts earlier someone had asked the same thing. ;-)

As you say; just confirmed front panel input seems to work fine. Many thanks!

Nice case! I really like how compact it is!

Since you will be using a dGPU and IGPU will be "headless", I'd say iMac18,3 is the best system definition to use.

Funnily enough I do actually intend to utilise the IGPU and the PCIe GPU, to drive three displays (two old Apple Cinema Displays and a more recent Dell in the middle).

With that in mind is iMac 18,3 still the best choice?

Thanks,

Funnily enough I do actually intend to utilise the IGPU and the PCIe GPU, to drive three displays (two old Apple Cinema Displays and a more recent Dell in the middle).

With that in mind is iMac 18,3 still the best choice?

Thanks,

That is definitely NOT the recommended way to do it. With my EFI folders, IGPU is set up to be headless/connector-less and therefore probably won't produce an output. Headless/connector-less is how Apple has the IGPUs set in real iMacs.

If you want to use three displays, you should connect them all to your dGPU.

If you have a dGPU, iMac18,3 is the best choice.

Back