Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

@pastrychef great work on the delidding! :0 Makes me want to try it myself lol... I see you bought a copper lid. would you recommend against running with no lid at all?

If you have a CPU cooler that can be used without the lid, that would be great. I was forced to use a lid because the Noctua cooler doesn't sit low enough to make contact with the CPU die. If it did, I would have gone without a lid too.

Thanks for the info. I'll update post #1 with the info later.

Edit:
If you have time, can you please try shikigva=61? Thanks.

@pastrychef, I gave shikigva=61 a try, and it breaks both DRM and h.264 hardware encoding. So only shikigva=1 succesfully enabled DRM for me. Flags 57 and 61 result in both DRM and hardware encoding being broken, and Flag 60 or removing all boot arguments result in working hardware encoding with broken DRM. I'll try some of the intermediary codes between 1 and 57, but from what I understand of the shiki flags, there's probably not much likelihood of success of enabling both DRM and hardware encoding with the 9900k, at least with the current builds of Mojave and WEG.

So, I did a bit internet digging and I found that post on https://egpu.io/ where user theitsage found a kext for Radeon VII

"Public Beta of 10.14.4 [18E174f] has slightly newer drivers than developer beta. There's a new PCI ID 66af that identifies as Radeon VII in AMD10000Controller.kext and AMDRadeonX5000HWServices.kext."

@pastrychef, I gave shikigva=61 a try, and it breaks both DRM and h.264 hardware encoding. So only shikigva=1 succesfully enabled DRM for me. Flags 57 and 61 result in both DRM and hardware encoding being broken, and Flag 60 or removing all boot arguments result in working hardware encoding with broken DRM. I'll try some of the intermediary codes between 1 and 57, but from what I understand of the shiki flags, there's probably not much likelihood of success of enabling both DRM and hardware encoding with the 9900k, at least with the current builds of Mojave and WEG.

I'm using shikigva=1 with my 9900K and it seems that hardware encoding is working.

Try searching for info on "Windows UEFI installation".

All of the following are KextsToPatches to address the 15 port limit. There are so many because the patches broke with many new macOS releases and a new patch was necessary. So, we end up with this mess...
View attachment 384831
You can either (1) check the disabled boxes to disable them or (2) click the minus (-) sign to delete them.

Fantastic, thank you!

Please consider also adding this very helpful image on page 1 :)

Please try booting in to Verbose mode and post a picture of where it gets stuck.

I boot in verbose mode with GPU off the PC. I got "Attempting system restart... MACH Reboot"
I used the efi 4.3.2 (high Sierra). My board is z370-g + 9700k.

I boot in verbose mode with GPU off the PC. I got "Attempting system restart... MACH Reboot"
I used the efi 4.3.2 (high Sierra). My board is z370-g + 9700k.

That's not enough. I need more info. Please take a picture of the verbose screen.

That's not enough. I need more info. Please take a picture of the verbose screen.

Thanks again in such fast response. Here is the screenshot of where its stuck at.

Back