Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

That's not possible. It has to boot from that partition.

You can also just download the new EFI and put it on the EFI partition of a USB flash drive and boot from that.

Launch Terminal and enter:
Code:
diskutil list

The disk i am installing is formatted (i did it before install Mojave).

The disk i am installing is formatted (i did it before install Mojave).

Then just put the new EFI on the EFI partition of your USB flash drive.

1548712111842188724758916455001.jpg

Its stuck here for like 10m its normal?
15487126028219051719807441547075.jpg

Now this

Last edited:
It really depends... Do you find your existing system slow? How much money will you have to add to upgrade?

We don't know anything about Ice Lake compatibility with macOS yet. We do know that Z370 is very compatible with macOS.

Yes, native NVRAM is the primary nagging point for Z390. CNVi slot incompatibility with standard M.2 Wi-Fi/Bluetooth cards is less of an issue since we can use PCI-e slots. That being said, Z390 doesn't offer anything that Z370 doesn't have. It just has different Wi-Fi and different USB 3.1 gen 2.

If you can wait, I think Navi is going to be much more of a revolutionary jump.

I don't necessarily find the existing system slow, just wish some tasks were quicker to save time. I've got the funds for the new parts, just don't want to waste money if the cost outweighs any benefit with upcoming architectures like Ice Lake and Navi that could provide a revolutionary jump like you mention for Navi. You gotta figure 10nm over 14nm would do the same for Ice Lake (with the obvious caveat of macOS compatibility)?

I think at this point I'll probably pull the plug on MB and CPU upgrades in the next month or two if a great deal presents itself. And who knows, maybe native NVRAM will work for Z390 by that time. Otherwise, the offerings of Z390 over Z370 don't have any benefit for me like you mentioned.

I don't necessarily find the existing system slow, just wish some tasks were quicker to save time. I've got the funds for the new parts, just don't want to waste money if the cost outweighs any benefit with upcoming architectures like Ice Lake and Navi that could provide a revolutionary jump like you mention for Navi. You gotta figure 10nm over 14nm would do the same for Ice Lake (with the obvious caveat of macOS compatibility)?

I think at this point I'll probably pull the plug on MB and CPU upgrades in the next month or two if a great deal presents itself. And who knows, maybe native NVRAM will work for Z390 by that time. Otherwise, the offerings of Z390 over Z370 don't have any benefit for me like you mentioned.

There will always be something new coming no matter how long you wait. Whatever you get will be replaced by something newer within about a year.

Yes, Z390 doesn't offer anything new over Z370. No additional PCI-e lanes. No new features. Nothing. All it offers are (1) Intel Wi-Fi, which is incompatible with macOS, and (2) Intel USB 3.1 Gen 2 instead of ASMedia USB 3.1 Gen 2.

BTW, blow on the eyelash and make a wish...

Thanks for this thread @pastrychef ! I have used your files and created a SSDT-USB.aml for an Asus Prime Z370-A board/i7-8700 and everything works perfectly. I'll finally be able to replace my wife's 10 year old iMac with a decent computer!!

Back