Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

You can use VGTab to adjust your fan to however you want the fan to behave.

Great thanks!

Now which macOS Mojave and the Vega cards do I still need whatevergreen and lilu?

Great thanks!

Now which macOS Mojave and the Vega cards do I still need whatevergreen and lilu?

The Vega cards can work without WhateverGreen. The only thing that didn't work for me without WhateverGreen was AirPlay video.

You will still need Lilu if you want working motherboard audio.

WhateverGreen, Lilu, VGTab, Vega. They all work in High Sierra 10.13.6 to the latest Mojave.

Fans are not a problem with my Vega. Performance is fantastic. Power consumption is within reason.

Hello Guys,
I have a quick question. My build is used essentialy for musing production and as it is it works perfectly well using the Igpu with actually 2 displays.
I have an old Gygabite Nvidia GV-NX84G256HE Powered by GeForce 8400 GS GPU (from an old non functionnal build) that is still working.
I have an old working screen from same gen that would be handy for me to display more tools while working.
The card fits and is detected by the bios.

Would it be possible to have to work as a secondary card to use that 3rd monitor ?

I kind of like to add value to my old unused working stuff when I can and keep them away from the landfield if possible.

Do you think this could work ? if so , any suggestion to make this work ? As per now it is detected in bios but won't boot as the EFI is actually configured

Thanks !

Hello Guys,
I have a quick question. My build is used essentialy for musing production and as it is it works perfectly well using the Igpu with actually 2 displays.
I have an old Gygabite Nvidia GV-NX84G256HE Powered by GeForce 8400 GS GPU (from an old non functionnal build) that is still working.
I have an old working screen from same gen that would be handy for me to display more tools while working.
The card fits and is detected by the bios.

Would it be possible to have to work as a secondary card to use that 3rd monitor ?

I kind of like to add value to my old unused working stuff when I can and keep them away from the landfield if possible.

Do you think this could work ? if so , any suggestion to make this work ? As per now it is detected in bios but won't boot as the EFI is actually configured

Thanks !

As far as I know, High Sierra does not have support for such an old GPU.

Also, the "correct" way to use IGPU with a dGPU would be to set IGPU to be headless/connector-less. That means that monitors can not be connected to IGPU. It may be possible to set IGPU to not be headless, but I've never tried that.

Therefore, I don't think that old GPU and display can be used with High Sierra or Mojave.

I saw a Vega 64 for about $440 last week. The prices have really come down a lot since the crypto currency mining craze.

The Vega cards are very good but at stock, they draw a lot of power and run quite hot. If you are willing to spend a little time to tweak them, you can improve performance while lowering power consumption and heat. Once tweaked properly, the Vegas can be very competitive with GTX 1080s or even 1080 Tis.

In macOS, I've found my Vega to be much smoother than the GTX 1080 I previously had. Although I'm still a bit bitter at Nvidia for their extremely buggy High Sierra drivers, I also have them to thank for forcing me to go AMD. I have zero regrets about the switch. Words can't describe how much better AMD is in macOS.

Are you using the Gene build mostly for Logic Pro audio work ? If so the Vega 64 is much more horsepower than you need. A 570 or 580 that works OOB is more than adequate. If you work with 4K video or edit high res photos then the Vega 64 is the way to go. It is really power hungry though so figure that into your decision.

Anandtech
Thank you, guys, for your input. @trs96 added the reality factor - I really don't need a top end card for just my personal audio recording and the occasional ripping of a DVD. (I don't "game", either.) So, it's time to save $200 and focus on another Sapphire RX 560/570/580.

Thank you, guys, for your input. @trs96 added the reality factor - I really don't need a top end card for just my personal audio recording and the occasional ripping of a DVD. (I don't "game", either.) So, it's time to save $200 and focus on another Sapphire RX 560/570/580.

can you post your ioreg for me ? ... i have now Hero XI and sound not working more ... I read in Asus documentation codec is same , but I dont have Hero X anymore ...I sold it...thank you ...

Actually, I can save money by just waiting Nvidia out by running HS with Gene. Yeah, I need more hardware like a need a hole in the head. :D

Actually, I can save money by just waiting Nvidia out by running HS with Gene. Yeah, I need more hardware like a need a hole in the head. :D
Or you could sell the 1080 and buy a Sapphire RX560 and put some money (a lot of $) back in your pocket and run Mojave to boot. :thumbup:

Back